• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Receipts

podgery

master brummie
In the day receipts we automatically given when making a purchaser but now every where you shop you are asked if you want one does anyone know why?

Most people just throw them away so I presume it is cutting down on paper use and rubbish if they just don't print one.
For large purchases you can usually opt for an e-receipt.

I noticed this started in the Covid epidemic. A lot of shops and retailers were tying to minimise person to person contact, which when you think how epidemics spread, is not a bad idea.

Along with the rise in electronic transactions I suppose there is an argument that receipts are not that important on everyday shopping. In fact, when I was young, when shopping at smaller shops, they did not issue receipts anyway.

I suppose its what worked for you, you can always ask if you want one.

it saves using there till roll paper and thus saving them dosh. most supermarkets i use give them
:grinning:

We use mostly credit cards, Always get the receipt using a card because it closes the transaction. In addition when if you buy gasoline/petrol using a card at the pump, always get the receipt. I was on a business trip getting fuel for the rental car and failed to get a receipt and the card was scammed right out of the pump, it was a company card and had to get a new one.
On our personal cards, in addition to the receipt at the transaction we get a email from the card issuer. All of this is a pain, but nothing like the pain of being scammed!
Not sure how all that stuff works but ALWAYS get the receipt when you use a card, debit or credit.

We never leave a shop without a receipt, its proof of purchase for one thing and has Rosie said you can check if your being over charged.

Over here, the lack of receipts has been nationally co-ordinated. It started with shops asking customers if they wanted one, now customers need to specifically ask, and shops cannot refuse. A receipt will automatically be issued if the shopping list contains an item with a notable warranty, such as higher value electrical goods. With cards, neither the item receipt nor the card receipt will be issued unless asked for, although either can be supplied on its own if required. The reason is quite openly stated to avoid waste. I am lucky, though not unique, in that my bank, in conjunction with my watch, gives me a tap on the wrist every time anything enters or leaves my account, with amount details, usually before the bags are packed at the checkout. (Buying fuel usually results in a credit, as garages pre claim the dispensing limit when paying by card, and refund what is not purchased, usually within 5 minutes). If we buy anything that might need to be changed, for size reasons perhaps, then having a receipt makes it easier.
Andrew.

Back