• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pte Ernest Arthur BOURNE, 204034 Worcestershire Regiment.

MILLS

master brummie
Help please.

Trying to confirm when he was born and where he lived.

Pension records indicate he lived at 26, Denbigh St., Bordsley Green, Birmingham. His next of kin is mother, Elizabeth.

On electoral roll 1918 - 1930 at 26 Denbigh St.
Is he living at 33, Cyril Road, Sparkbrook in 1933, 8, Arthur St., Small Heath in 1934/35 and in 1950, 12, Grace Rd., Sparkbrook or is it someone else?

I can find no birth date, marriage or Census details for 1901, 1911 or 1939.

I have found a Death/Probate record for a Ernest Arthur Bourne, died in February, 1977 and living at Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham. If it's him then we have a birth of 9, August, 1891.

Could one of your skilled researchers confirm or otherwise what I have found and hopefully fill in the gaps please?

Thank you.

hi mills hopefully someone can help you...is ernest a rellie of yours as all info may help

lyn

Registered Bham Sep qtr 1891, the son of William Bourne and Elizabeth Jones. He had at least two brothers - Albert and Joseph - and a sister - Maud.

Albert is at Denbigh address on the 1939 register.

In 1911 the family are living on Cathcart St.

Last edited:
MWS,

Thank you for that.

Where did you find names of Father, Mother and siblings please? I have searched high and low and couldn't find any census data?

Searched the ERs for 26 Denbigh St, saw an Albert Bourne also lived there in certain years. Checked the 1939 register saw that he and his wife were there.

Searched for him on 1911 census, matched him with other siblings (Ernest is listed as Arthur) and then looked for parents' marriage. There are other siblings - William, Ada and Clara Jane - and they are in Walsall in 1881. Haven't found them in 1891 or 1901.

Searched the ERs for 26 Denbigh St, saw an Albert Bourne also lived there in certain years. Checked the 1939 register saw that he and his wife were there.

Searched for him on 1911 census, matched him with other siblings (Ernest is listed as Arthur) and then looked for parents' marriage. There are other siblings - William, Ada and Clara Jane - and they are in Walsall in 1881. Haven't found them in 1891 or 1901.
Yes I found the above working backwards from your earlier information.
I have also drawn a blank for 1901 and 1939 so presently not able to tie him into any of the other electoral rolls.

In 1939 he is listed as Arthur (single) living with his sister, Maud, and family at 10 Grantham Road, Smethwick.

In 1939 he is listed as Arthur (single) living with his sister, Maud, and family at 10 Grantham Road, Smethwick.
Thank you.

What do you think about the other dates, do you think they are our man or someone else? I still can't find anything for 1901 and since 1911 he seems to be Arthur?

It's definitely him at 8 Arthur St because he is with his sister again. He may be at 33 Cyril Road, I don't have access to 1933 ER and the search results on Ancestry can be a bit garbled (can't see the scans) but in 1930 his sister Maud at a no. 33. Her married name was Marshall.

And in 1945 and 1950 he is with his sister at a no. 12, so if she is at the addresses you have then that should confirm if it's him or not.

Found them in 1901. They are listed under the name Bowler for some reason living on Wolsley St.

And they're there in 1891 as well (no. 34), listed as Bowen.

Last edited:
He makes the papers in 1934 when he was fined in Henley-in-Arden for fishing without a license. His address is listed as 8 Arthur St.

MWS,

Excellent, thank you. All I have to do now is try and trace his movements from 1950 to 1977. With all of your finds it will make this easier, still work in progress.

Again your research skills have put meat on the bones.

All the very best,

David

It's definitely him at 8 Arthur St because he is with his sister again. He may be at 33 Cyril Road, I don't have access to 1933 ER and the search results on Ancestry can be a bit garbled (can't see the scans) but in 1930 his sister Maud at a no. 33. Her married name was Marshall.

And in 1945 and 1950 he is with his sister at a no. 12, so if she is at the addresses you have then that should confirm if it's him or not.
1950 eroll
1670338168891.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I found this link , I posted on Hay Mills thread today, posted it again here as it is WW1 related re munition and essential war industry

I found this link , I posted on Hay Mills thread today, posted it again here as it is WW1 related re munition and essential war industry
Not sure what the revellance is here?

Hello,

The forum thread is titled WW1 1914 to 1918 , and the attached link was a reference WW1 and the local industries of Birmingham contribution to that conflict to allow all following the thread to review the link .

Hello,

The forum thread is titled WW1 1914 to 1918 , and the attached link was a reference WW1 and the local industries of Birmingham contribution to that conflict to allow all following the thread to review the link .
hi covroad its the actual section that is titled WW1 1914 to 1918 the section has many individual thread titles ..this thread is titled ERNEST ARTHUR BOURNE so all posts should relate to him...easy error to make

lyn

Back