• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prisoners of war

C

Catkin

Unique new footage has come to light with regard to Prisoner of war camps in This country. I think they were taken and belong to Guy Reckon Not sure of the spelling of his surname, his son found them after his demise. Exercising, gardening and going to Church...everyday life... etc... The film is so clear and so very interesting It will, be distributed, but when i am not sure.

Not a lot of people know, but there where 1000 Prisoner of War camps in this country during the war...Cat...Holly

Saw this first mentioned on the WW2talk forum.

BBC NEWS/UK/
Glimpse of a WW2 POW Camp

Certain I have seen referance to a U tube entry somewhere.

It says Exhibition 23 May imperial war museum.
IT IS A CAMP IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE...Cat

British Newspaper Archive have added PRISONERS OF WAR News, 1940-45.

“First published in November 1940 in Aberdeen by the Scottish Branch of the Red Cross Society, the Prisoners of War News aimed to provide 'all available news about our prisoners of war in Germany,' with a particular focus on POWs from Scotland's north-east. Giving insight into daily life in POW camps in Europe and beyond, this title also provided updates about fundraising efforts for POWs.”

A Quick Look for mentions of Birmingham gives a reference to Frank Algar, welter-weight champion of the Navy. (News letter from B. A. B 21)

Back