• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

POW Camps in and around Birmingham

nspring

Brummie babby
I became interested in the WW2 pow camps after finding some old pow mail and wondering where it was from. I also remember my father telling me stories about the pow camp that was in Swanshurst Park (B13). I have just looked at the reports made about the pow camp at Maxstoke Castle (Camp 39). It had 10 hostels (sub-camps) in and around Birmingham and links to 1 other site. I am trying to locate each of these sites - and ask if anyone can help with any of them.

I have located 2 sites + the one linked site.
Lapworth - SP 189 722 / Polesworth - SK 265 019 + (Welsh House Farm - SP 022 842 – not attached to Maxstoke, but bomb disposal pows attached there from Maxstoke).

I think I know the locations of 5 others, but need further evidence:
Minworth.7 miles NW of the main camp. Two similar memories place it at back of school / alongside Kingsbury Road.
minworth55a.jpgmn48.jpg
Moseley. One memory – “I used to see Italian PoWs in a huge house …on the corner of Oxford Road and School Road. They sold wicker baskets.” There is a school on one corner now, but it was not there in the 1940’s – SP 080 827 (not confirmed). There is a note to say that the pow site at Swanshurst Park moved to this site in Moseley.

Shustoke. Described as a ‘House’ rather than huts. I think this was at Shustoke Hall.

Solihull C.S.D. (Central Supply Depot). Probably where the Council Yard was later - SP 134 804.

Uplands. Handsworth, Birmingham. 16 miles W of the main camp. 2 maps 1947/1955 - I think the place marked 'hostel' on the later map was the pow site near to The Uplands on the earlier map. By 1955 the hostel would have been for agricultural workers or European Volunteer workers.
uplands47.jpguplands55.jpg

3 sites I am not at all sure of:
Lea Hall. 1946 report listed ‘Lea Hall. Hams Hall’ and stated 5 miles NORTH of Maxstoke. This would be correct for Hams Hall. BUT, all other reports only state ‘Lea Hall’ – however, Lea Hall area (B33) is about 6/7 miles WEST of Maxstoke. (And there are other ‘Lea Halls’).

Penns Lane. 10 miles NW of the main camp.

Walmley Ash. 9 miles NW of the main camp. Local memory – ‘Near Jones Wood.’

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to BHF. I understand that there was an Italian POW camp on the corner of Jerrys Lane and Flackwell Road Erdington.

The site on the 1945 map shows that it was an area just about to be developed - so a most likely site to place one of the many temporary pow hostels. (With the name 'Jerrys Lane', it ought to hold Germans). There are several other hostel sites dotted around Birmingham, but they are linked to different main camps to Maxstoke. I'll add the JR/FL site for further investigation. Thank you.

Back