• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Portland House, Soho Hill

getting confused now pedro...i thought it had now been decided that that building was not portland house...

lyn

The School Board took over Portland House in 1902. Rob’s picture shows a date of 1902. So did they pull it down and rebuild, or just change the form ?

yes pedro portland house was pulled down and the 1902 building thats there now was built

lyn

this is a 2009 streetview...the beehive now demolished the building next to it i believe was once rusty lees restaurant..the building with the red door is no 190 and are all in a bad way now...so sad

What a shame someone painted all that beautiful stonework. Made the place look like something off Bob Wilsons Funfair now.

I know what you mean but I'm wondering if it was originally like that and they have either cleaned or painted those areas?

This was April 2016 with part/during refurbishment

april-2016.jpg

This ones also been on this forum in the past
Phyllis Nicklin photographed the Handsworth School Clinic on Soho Hill in 1968

school clinic soho hill.jpeg

Last edited:
Back