• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Portland House, Soho Hill

daid rathgen

master brummie
In 1872 Portland House was owned by Mr. Thomas Cochrane Lowe, a school master.
Birmingham Daily Post 7 October 1872, p7. reported vandalism by "Herbert Oxenbould (18), jeweller’s apprentice, of Soho Hill; Walter Withers (18), of Handsworth; and Walter Whitehouse (16), of Hamstead Rd., Handsworth, were charged with doing malicious damage to some gates."
Anybody know anything about Portland House? Any images? Is Portland House very far from Park Ave, Handsworth?
Unable to find any mention of these people in FreeCen.

maybe someone could check the old maps to see if this house is mentioned

lyn

The 1879 Post Office Directory, shows Thomas Cochrane Lowe at Browne's Green, Hamstead Hill

1879 Lowe TC.PNG

Could it be near Handsworth wood road, from this 1904 map?
Now see pjmburns posting Re: Portland house soho hill

1904 handsworth wood road.PNG

Last edited:
According to the 1876 directory it is between the Beehive Inn and Hamstead road. On this 1889 map the road indicated in green on the left is Soho Avenue and Portland House mut be one of the large houses marked on the opposite side of the road. The houses aren't named.

1627549425048.png

Thomas Cochrane Lowe may not have been the owner, but just the resident master at the Portland House Boarding and Day School. As shown above he was later at Hamstead Hill. Portland House later became a Ladies dacing school.

The 1881 entry on Soho Hill - it seems to refer to a Girls' School so I wonder if Thomas started his own school on Hamstead Hill.
1627550593567.png

Just found 178 on 1950s map but 176 has gone - seems to be the site of Handsworth School Clinic. I have recopied the 1889 map - the red marker is 178 so the green mark is most likely Portland House School.
1627550993489.png

In 1901, it was proposed that Portland House be aquired for the Handsworth School Board as a site to erect offices and Board Room.

Hope this will work - you can remove the "blue" by clicking on
1627554813693.png

Hope this will work - you can remove the "blue" by clicking on
View attachment 159764

Is this any better?
soho hill map.PNG

looks like portland house is still standing later to be a school clinic...1889 map and a street view

soho hill 1889 map showing 176.jpg

looks like portland house is still standing

With Northern Telephone Exchange next door :(
Says first exchange for Handsworth opened in 1902, possibly in Villa Road ?
Earlier photo showing roof addition on Portland House
northern exchange.PNG

Does this mean it was built in 1902?

1902.PNG

Last edited:
I would guess so, dates don't seem to be put on buildings in Birmingham so much but in London it's very common.

At the Handsworth School Board meeting of May 1902. The Chairman reported that the Board of Education had finally
approved the plans of the new offices on the Portland House site, Soho Hill.

yes i remember it as a clinic but not sure now if it used to be portland house which was there in 1872 according to previous info given

lyn

1889 map (red marker on 178)
1627571544217.png
1950s map (red marker still on 178) Maps inbetween not helpful as split over 2 pages.
1627571594521.png

so it does not look like the building there now is portland house...shame...still some nice buildings around there though including georgian..some have been kept nice quite a few sadly not..

Here is a full frontal view of the building on site of Portland House, 176, Soho Hill from Google Earth. Next door is Northern Exchange.

[Edit to former Site of Portland House in light of Lyn’s comment in next post]

B8D94FD1-C752-4523-AB25-C40F3F86DFF2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back