• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Poole Family, Tracking from Canada

JPoole

Brummie babby
Hello,

I am a descendant of George Joseph Poole, born 1852 in Birmingham from what I can tell. He married Louise Ann Rowland in 1875, in Leeds. They had four children, Emma, William, George and Herbert.

George and Herbert were sent to Canada as home children upon the death of their father George and mother Louise in 1886. Herbert passed shortly after arriving in 1887 aged 5. George, age 7 on arrival, went on to be married and have a family (of which I am decended).

I can't seem to find any information on the other siblings, Emma and William, or what happened to their parents George and Louise.

I believe George's father George (died 1886) had 4 siblings, William, Arthur, Alfred and Emily.

Any help or resources I could access online would be great with regards to building out the family tree in England.

Thank you!

There are death registrations in Leeds for George (Mar 1886) and Louisa Ann (Sep 1886) which could be theirs.

Which I see now that you probably know. Ordering their death certificates will tell you what they died of.

Last edited:
Emma appears to have married a Charles Frederick Warner 20 May 1899 Sparkbrook (Bham). Died in 1919.

Charles and Emma seem to have had 2 children George Frederick b & d 1900 and Charles Frederick b1905 d (unmarried ?) in 1927.

Last edited:
I believe George's father George (died 1886) had 4 siblings, William, Arthur, Alfred and Emily.

It's possible that George's father was a Richard Poole not George.

In 1891 Emma is living on Henley St with her grandmother, Emma Cordrey.

Emma was Emma Marshall who married Richard Poole in 1849 and then Joseph Coudrey in 1863 (Richard died in 1861). In 1871, George with siblings (William and Arthur) are living with mother and step father.

George seems to be buried at Leeds cemetery (Beckett Street),
NameGeorge Poole
Birth Yearabt 1853
Age33
Death Dateabt 1886
Burial Date11 Mar 1886
Burial PlaceLeeds, West Yorkshire, England
Register TypeBurials - Anglicans

entry in register
1711562715390.png

the last number is the grave plot 11380

Gravesite Details​

Age: 33 years, Roundhay Road,: Leeds, Grave Type: Consecrated, Death date listed may be the interment date

Last edited:
Louisa is also buried there
NameLouisa Ann Poole
Birth Yearabt 1854
Age32
Death Dateabt 1886
Burial Date26 Sep 1886
Burial PlaceLeeds, West Yorkshire, England
Register TypeBurials - Anglicans

1711562973024.png

grave 11295

Gravesite Details​

Age: 32 years, : 17, Sackville Terrace, Leeds, Grave Type: Consecrated, Death date listed may be the interment date

Last edited:
It's possible that George's father was a Richard Poole not George.

In 1891 Emma is living on Henley St with her grandmother, Emma Cordrey.

Emma was Emma Marshall who married Richard Poole in 1849 and then Joseph Coudrey in 1863 (Richard died in 1861). In 1871, George with siblings (William and Arthur) are living with mother and step father.
Thank you so much, may I ask where/how you are finding the information about where they were living?

The road on George's record - Roundhay Road still exists. Many of the terraces are still there but I haven't located the exact address yet.

Last edited:
There is plenty more on Ancestry. Baptisms for the chidren etc. You can register for free, search and then subscribe for just a month if you find records you want.

Last edited:
Whilst censuses are great they are only a snapshot of history at that moment.

It is possible that Emma was also sent to an orphanage for a time after her parents' death or she may have been sent to stay with her grandmother after her father died but before her mother died.

And if so, when Louisa died, the younger children may have not known where their extended family were and the family may not have learnt of Louisa's death for some time.

It would be nice to think that the family would have looked after the other children and it's only because they didn't know but we don't know.

Yes - just double checked as I clicked on "digital image"a few weeks ago only to get a message saying "not available" for that person.
If there is a problem then they are very quick at repaying money if you do complain.

It looks that both are available in a digital download so not too costly.
When I go to the Leeds government website it seems as though mailing them is the only option, can I ask where you are seeing this digital download option?

If you "search" and click on deaths choosev1886 and enter George Poole, male and put Leeds for where registered -his is the only result to conebup and as MWS said click on digital download. Once you have paid, the ge image and the details are available.
Repeat entering Louisa and her digital image can be ordered.

Back