• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Policeman Walking Along The Road

S

Stitcher

Who remembers the policeman. He knew all our names and although we had never been in trouble, he knew where we all lived. He also knew our parents and would not hesitate to knock the door if he wanted a word with them. Although we all stood still until he had gone round the corner, we knew he was our friend really. Most of us didn't break the law because we knew we would be caught and punished. Weekends and school holidays, we would go out after breakfast and come home for lunch then go out again. Finally returning when we heard mom call our names. We were never cheeky or rude to anyone because we all knew that the consequence would be dire. That said, I do remeber scrumping a couple of times.

My husband Pete remembers his local bobby pc Taffy Taylor. [I wonder why]. His beat was the Witton road area. He often caught the lads scrumping from back gardens. Used to give them a clout round the head and take them home for another. He used to let them keep the apples for their moms to make a pie with. Can't use the word Pete said they used to call him though. TTFN. Jean.

I didn't want to say my mom used the fruit for making pies. If todays police were allowed to do the job like the those of yesteryear I am certain that societies and comunities would be better for it. There has to be a pecking order do you see. Those at the top should be Police, parents and school teachers. Because of human rights and civil liberties we will all soon be affected to some extent by wannabe tough men with guns. Getting back to the original thread, we sometimes got goosegogs and we would tell mom they were given to us for doing someones garden. Mom made jam as well.

We do a bit of volountary work once a month in the office of the local police station have regular meetings with our councillors and police to discuss problems in each sector. You will frequently see comunity officers walking the beat and getting to know the people on their patch. I was lucky living next to the Villa grounds the police horses would come down our road and I loved that. Jean.

Gee Gee Jean, A policeman who is known by name on his patch will always be more effective than a stranger in a panda car.

Our Poliiceman who looked after the village by calling 3 days a week we knew by name Graham Stewart. Has now been replaced by 2 Policemen or women and 2 Panda cars and we see them once in a Blue moon.

Could this be why

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ge-bobby-bike-passed-cycling-proficiency.html

way back when i remember t bobby on the beat in nechells,his name was derek from bloomsbury st they called him babyface because of his young looks. he caught me having a pee in the gutter one day and he took me to my mom see give me a clip & said wait till your dad gets home and i got another clip, i used to be scared going up the back yard on my own i was very young. happy days. regards dereklcg

We have a local policeman his name is Dave and he gave me his mobile number perhaps this is a little way forward!

Blow me two posts in one day. Am breaking my record and it could get catching.
When I came down south, as I posted on the subject of police boxes this morning, I did not use the police boxes for a cuppa. It was the accepted norm here but it was not for me. I had what the bobby calls his 'put ups' - places where one could have a short respite of beat pounding and get a cuppa.
One night I had a young Police cadet posted with me to show him some of the ropes. Poor lad.
I told him from the outset he would not use the boxes and we would get a cuppa but otherwise we would patrol. Patrol we did. I showed him how to walk a beat - near the building line at night and less in view and near the kerb during the day to be visible. Testing locks and doing the backs of places. When all the good people were in bed, not to cross a road junction without knowing what was down the road one was crossing. All little tricks of the trade.
It ended up at about 5.30am with me standing on the sea front and he sitting on one of the benches with is shoes off massaging his aching feet. I, the old timer, had outwalked this lad of seventeen.
He progressed in the service and advanced higher than I did but he never forgot that night and I hope it helped make him a better practical copper.
Will.

Back