• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Poisoner in the dock

C

Catkin

I have just read Poisoner In The Dock By John Rowland... its about twelve studies in Poisoning.
When i picked up this book which was some years ago i thought it was about compounds used and not about actual cases of poisoning, although it does tell you on the front cover in small lettering at the top of the page.
Poisoning, I thought was an act that had more or less gone away, due to not being able to obtain yesterdays poisons so easily, although you had to have a good reason as to the use which you wanted it for even then...But, i am wrong it still goes on today.
Palmer The Poisoner as he was known, lived in Rugeley Staffordshire, (William) was the last case in the book, his Mother had a book published titled... They Hanged My Saintly Billy. But a Saint he was not.
He was hanged at Stafford on the 14 June 1856...Cat

Hello Catkin I recently watched a programme about the doctor you mentioned,I love true crime and order book after book at the library and Amaxon.Let me please add I would'nt hurt a fly but I am fascinated by peoples lives and what makes them kill.Have ordered the book at the library,I can't believe he could have killed his children but it seems he did.Was it easy for him to get away with so many murders because he was a doctor able to obtain these poisons and do you think they were more easy to obtain then.Mary

hello Edgbaston, there are some interesting conclusions ( if that is what you can call them ) as to why people become poisoners and also why people would want to read books about poisoners, in my case it is because i like to know all that is going on in my world. Why be ignorant when all of the answers are at your fingertips...Cat
PS The last person Palmer poisoned suspected him as did many who knew him but he was a very sly devious man, and somehow like the others ( POISONERS) thought he would get away with it.

Hello Catkin I think as you do they must think they can get away with it.I am fascinated by these characters and enjoy reading about them ,I have read practically every book about Jack the ripper. The young librarian I talk to says she is the same .

Legend has it that as Palmer mounted the (portable) gallows at Stafford Gaol, he turned to the hangman and said, "Are you sure this damn thing is safe?"

Edgbaston, if you've read 'practically every book about Jack the Ripper', then you can't have done much else, as there are at the last count over 1000 of them! Google 'Casebook Ripper' and you'll be directed to the best true-crime website of them all - all about the Ripper and a few other nasty people.

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee I did manage three children one husband and all the other murderers in between. Thanks for the Google site will give it a go .Thanks again Mary

One of the very best (and most puzzling) cases of murder by poison is that of Charles Bravo in 1876. There were only two suspects - his wife and his housekeeper, yet neither the police nor the coroner's court could find sufficient evidence to nail either of them.

Mary, give my regards to your husband and kids! If you go to the Ripper Casebook site you'll find enough there to keep you absorbed until Domesday. Amazing just how much interest there still is in Jack the Ripper. Another excellent thread on the Casebook site is that relating to James Hanratty and the A6 Murder, my own personal favourite and about which I post regularly.

Have fun!

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee thanks very much for your reply I have written these names in my' must read 'book.I have read about Hanratty ,and came to the conclusion that he was guilty even before it was proven by his DNA,My father loved to read and he always believed Hanratty was innocent because he told his father before he was hung that he was innocent .Was he trying to spare his father even more heartache or would it be worse knowing his son was innocent.Mary

Edgbaston, google poisoners of the world, you may find it to your taste. ( no pun intended ) It may come up prisoners, if so scroll down...Cat

Thankyou Catkin I have found a book in my library about Charles Bravo can't wait to read it, I will now Google the sites you have kindly told me about .Thankyou.Mary

Murder for Profit and Science........... BY .............JACQUES BARZUN........ 1794
I am sure you will all be aware of William Burke and William Hare but this write up is far more interesting than the television or cinema showings of which there have been many. There is so much more that went on and so much more that was undisclosed, and much scuggery with regard to the professionals involved.
It was all started by chance when a lodger died of natural causes, owing the management £4.00, so, they sold him to Dr Knox for £7.10.0d assisted by a widow named Log who ran the hostel partner to Hare and Helen MacDonald partner of Burke. The Hostel had seven beds, (three to a bed) for thruppence a night... Cat itch itch

St. Albans Poisoner: Life and Crimes of Graham Young

I can heartily recommend the above book by Anthony Holden - I remember reading it back in the 70's
Its the kind of book you 'just can't put down' You'll insist on always making your own tea after reading it !! LOL

I wish you lot wouldnt recommend these sort of books for er
indoors :rolleyes:now I am worried what with murder books grisly plotters now she can read about poisining :rolleyes: I think I will cook me own dinner in future :p cant you recommend hobbie books for er instead:D

Back