• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Plough Inn Minworth

My ancestors the Cater family lived at a Plough Inn Minworth around 1851, is it the same one? I must check it out later.
rosie.

My ancestors the Cater family lived at a Plough Inn Minworth around 1851, is it the same one? I must check it out later.
rosie.

Edward Cater? Newspaper articles list him as the landlord of the Hare & Hounds, Minworth.

There is an article (which you've probably seen) reporting the death of Edward's wife, Ann, which mentions she was a friend of the Mary Ashford who was brutally murdered.

Last edited:
Plough Inn - Minworth - (Now Old Kingsbury Rd).

Old Kingsbury Rd - Minworth.jpg

The Plough was converted to Private Housing. (Image Google Maps).

Old Kingsbury Rd.JPG

Old Postcard of Kingsbury Road as it was then.
The large Pub to the right of the Picture is the Boat but the Pub to the far left of the picture is the Plough.Kingsbury Rd - Minworth - Boat Pub.jpg

In the Warwickshire directories the 1850 Whites does not list a Plough in Minworth, and the beerhouses (which would only be listed by landlord) do not list a Cater. The 1868 Kellys listed William Cater as landlord of the Plough, and is also a carpenter. A John Cater and wife are listed also as living there. In 1880 John is still living in the village, but the Plough is run by Thomas Hanks

Back