• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Philip Harris

PhilipHarris

proper brummie kid
Hi my name is Jo and I work for Philip Harris, who were once based in Birmingham on Ludgate Hill.

We are still very much in business and are now based just outside Manchester. But what got us thinking was that we were at a trade show in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and we wanted to delve a bit deeper into our Birmingham connection. Plus some of our technician community all over the UK (and world) want to learn more about our history too.

We stumbled across this forum when researching our roots. We really enjoyed reading some of the stories about the factory and would be delighted to hear more! Perhaps we can even share with our technician community.

Here is the modern day Philip Harris, now 206 years old! https://www.philipharris.co.uk/

When I worked at Bournville I remember we got much of our equipment from them.

When I worked at Bournville I remember we got much of our equipment from them.
Likewise at Wilmot Breeden.
A couple of other mentions of Phillip Harris
I got my chemical supplies and minor equipment from Philip Harris on Ludgate Hill. On one visit I was told of a job with Philip Harris. The job was not in Ludgate Hill but in their other office in Edmund Street. I walked up to Edmund Street, saw the 'boss' and came away delighted to have got the job. I have referenced this in a Ludgate Hill thread.
It was my last job in the Midlands as we moved to Devon whilst I was there. I was quite disappointed to have to leave as I was really very happy there and was fast learning how everything operated within the various departments of the company.
When I was not busy with my own particular work I was allowed - well no one stopped me from going - to visit other departments and ask lots of questions. In recent years - as we older folk reflect on our past lives - I wondered if the boss had had told others to encourage me as no one told me I was a pain - even if they thought it so. :laughing:
The only time I encountered a slight embarrassment by the foreman was when I asked him what a suppository was.

As a kid, encouraged by my science teacher at school, I used to go to Philip Harris on a Saturday morning to buy chemicals and equipment. I seem to remember the place was crowded with kids like me. My dad helped me to make a test-tube rack and my parents encouraged me in my "experiments." One of my favourites was to heat copper sulphate crystals in a test tube over a bunsen burner until the water disappeared and they went from blue to white, and then once cooled to re-introduce water into the test tube and feel the exothermic reaction as the white turned back to blue. Are children allowed to do this kind of thing anymore or does it contravene health and safety rules?

There a few details about Philip Harris in the Buildings at risk thead and also the one detailing the Ludgate Hill department.
I worked for a short while at Edmund Street, 1953/4 but a family move to Devon put pay to that. I liked working there.

There a few details about Philip Harris in the Buildings at risk thead and also the one detailing the Ludgate Hill department.
I worked for a short while at Edmund Street, 1953/4 but a family move to Devon put pay to that. I liked working there.
Glad you liked working for us, I love the modern day Philip Harris too. This is so lovely to hear!
We've had a look at Edmund Street but it is all new offices. Ludgrove Hill is just about still standing.
We have catalogues in our archive from the era you worked there, perhaps you'd recognise them.

maybe someone can find an old photo of the ludgate factory unless of course you already have one

lyn

Hi my name is Jo and I work for Philip Harris, who were once based in Birmingham on Ludgate Hill.

We are still very much in business and are now based just outside Manchester. But what got us thinking was that we were at a trade show in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and we wanted to delve a bit deeper into our Birmingham connection. Plus some of our technician community all over the UK (and world) want to learn more about our history too.

We stumbled across this forum when researching our roots. We really enjoyed reading some of the stories about the factory and would be delighted to hear more! Perhaps we can even share with our technician community.

Here is the modern day Philip Harris, now 206 years old! https://www.philipharris.co.uk/
HI Jo

Welcome to Birmingham History Forum

This was the Ludgate Hill premises, now looking rather sad. I remember it well in the 1960’s. As a kid I loved chemistry and physics, Philip Harris being the supplier of all thing’s science for schools. I still have a few Philip Harris bits and bobs.

To the left of the building was a derelict site, I Imagin for the construction of the Queensway Tunnels. Philip Harris used one corner adjacent to their building as a tip for any damaged or broken bits of equipment. Every weekend I rake over the site to find any intact bit of glassware, test tubes and beakers etc. Found quite a few useful bits there and as chemistry equipment was hard to source and very expensive or me the site was a gift from heaven.

Philip Harris.JPG

HI Jo

This was the Ludgate Hill premises, now looking rather sad. I remember it well in the 1960’s. As a kid I loved chemistry and physics, Philip Harris being the supplier of all thing’s science for schools. I still have a few Philip Harris bits and bobs.

To the left of the building was a derelict site, I Imagin for the construction of the Queensway Tunnels. Philip Harris used one corner adjacent to their building as a tip for any damaged or broken bits of equipment. Every weekend I rake over the site to find any intact bit of glassware, test tubes and beakers etc. Found quite a few useful bits there and as chemistry equipment was hard to source and very expensive or me the site was a gift from heaven.
hi mort pete posted a photo of the ludgate hill factory but it looks nothing like the one you have posted..maybe they moved to larger premises

lyn

hi mort pete posted a photo of the ludgate hill factory but it looks nothing like the one you have posted..maybe they moved to larger premises

lyn
prob another shop they had lyn. some more pics on below post on ph factory

Philip Harris & Co. Ltd.​

Traded at 144-46 Edmund St. (1904-1945), Birminham, England. At its peak it was one of the two "first-call" suppliers for the peculiar needs of school science. Succeeded by Philip Harris & Co. (1913) Ltd, currently Philip Harris Ltd (2008).

A very good friend was apprenticed there on the surgical instruments side 57/58 time frame. Not sure if it were Ludgate St or Edmund St. His name was John Owen, we called him Fred.

HI Jo

View attachment 181868
Yes that is exactly how it looked when we visited a couple of weeks ago. At least it is still there... I'm sure too Mr Harris himself would not be averse to progress in the name of the Queensway tunnels. We still have teachers now using our equipment from the 60s!

Philip Harris & Co. Ltd.​

Traded at 144-46 Edmund St. (1904-1945), Birminham, England. At its peak it was one of the two "first-call" suppliers for the peculiar needs of school science. Succeeded by Philip Harris & Co. (1913) Ltd, currently Philip Harris Ltd (2008).
That is correct, we recently became Findel Education Limited (trading as Philip Harris) in 2022. although we've been owned by Findel for a number of years.

Hi Jo!

I am writing a book on the photographic industry In Birmingham and Philip Harris crops up a few times especially in the 19th Century, and I wonder if the company have any information regarding this side of the business? I have a chemical bottle, an early 20th Century pinhole camera and a large 19th Century wood and brass camera made by Philip Harris already but trying to find out more about this side of the business is proving difficult!

Thanks

james

Attachments

• pinhole camera.jpg
    pinhole camera.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Victoria Camera.jpg
    Victoria Camera.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 5
Back