• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peck Lane Feck Lane Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
There are lots of references to Peck Lane, but I can't find a thread specifically about this lane. A brief description from the late Bill Dargue :

"Peck Lane which ran from new Street to Dudley Street was perhaps of more interest after its disappearance. In existence by 1731, the lane and the surrounding area was gutten int eh 1850's for the building of New Street Station. The Street Commissioners, predecessors of the Town Council, sold the site with its rights of way. Some 10 years later, in 1862, the newly elected Town Council petitioned unceccessfully for the return of the right of way, formerly Peck Lane. the London Birmingham Railway Co had provided a footbridge over the station as a voluntary concession. By its constant use of 100 years it became a right of way once more, and when the present station was built, this right, though slightly circuitous, was maintained".

One of the Lines' family portrayed the Lane in the drawing below. The Tavern to the right would have been the Grapes Tavern on New Street. To the left would have been King Edwards School, New Street. A later painting shows the Lane entrance between those two buildings.

Viv

Screenshot_20230827_145106_Chrome.jpg

image.jpeg.jpg

From Showells Dictionary :

"Peck Lane.—Originally called Feck Lane, leading out of New Street, next to the Grammar School, was closed and cleared for the Railway Station. Steep and narrow as the old thoroughfare was, it was at one time thought quite as much of as Bull Street".

Doesn't look much on most images I've seen, but with its close proximity to New Street it would seem plausible that it was once a well regarded place.

Viv

From Showells Dictionary :

"Peck Lane.—Originally called Feck Lane, leading out of New Street, next to the Grammar School, was closed and cleared for the Railway Station. Steep and narrow as the old thoroughfare was, it was at one time thought quite as much of as Bull Street".

Doesn't look much on most images I've seen, but with its close proximity to New Street it would seem plausible that it was once a well regarded place.

Viv
fascinating viv...if only we had a tardis :D

Samuel Lines Snr drew this view down Peck Lane (left) in 1858. Lines labelled the premises left to right on New Street as "...?", "Harley", "Whitlock", "Ash & Son" and "Norton". Hard to believe today ! Viv.

Screenshot_20230824_180529_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Samuel Lines Snr drew this view down Peck Lane (left) in 1858. Lines labelled the premises left to right on New Street as "...?", "Harley", "Whitlock", "Ash & Son" and "Norton". Hard to believe today ! Viv.

View attachment 185370
thanks viv and yes i also find it hard to get my head around how brum first looked..thanks goodness we have lots of wonderful drawings to fall back on

lyn

Back