• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

P.S.A.(Pleasant Sunday Afternoon)

H

Harvey Barr

My mother Ena Beatrice Barr used to talk about going to the P.S.A , the initials stood for "Pleasant Sunday Afternoon" I think it may have been a type of Sunday School etc; It was in Park Road Aston,does anyone know where it was situated ? Was it Methodist, Baptist etc;

Harvey Barr

P.S.A.

Hi Harvey, the only church I can recall in Park Road, Aston, was on the right hand side of the road going up from Ansells, quite near the junction with Victoria Road, but I don't know what denomination it was.

pleasant sunday afternoon

john blackham 1834-1928 deacon of ebenezer congregational church founded PSA in1875 in west bromwich when young men asked why sermons were so dull. So he then described his sermons as pleasant.
Movement flourished till 1908 when embodied in another movement

P.S.A.

Have just come across a Certificate presented to my Mother Ena Beatrice Coates (maiden name) it was for a Prize presented by the P.S.A. The address was Park Road. Still can't place it ,my limit in Park Road was the Record Shop at the Aston Cross end.
Incidentally, just as a matter of interest the Treasurers name was R Blackham, the Printer's name Eld & Blackham.
Thank you all for your responses.

Harvey Barr

Back