• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OUGHTON PLACE , Aston , Birmingham

Amanda, I think this was the back of the properties. Of course, when I knew them in the 1950s they looked rather different having been repaired. I'm glad you like them. Please feel free to add them to your collection.

Well I wasnt born till 65, but looking at your pictures, they look just like scenes my dad used to describe to me. he said he used to play on 'bomb pecks'
whatever they are.
Theyre lovely to look at arent they ...I must say though the lady in the first picture standing by the shelter doesnt look too happy does she :eek:)
xx

Amanda, I looked through my photos again today and found this one which you might find interesting as it shows the front of the houses in Oughton Place and would have been taken from the path which went between the rows of houses. Again, this photo is of my uncle and cousins and was taken on the same day as the others which I have posted.

Rose

img022.jpg

Amanda, if you can zoom in on the picture I think you will see in the background the piles of earth which is where the bomb fell in my aunts garden so the house in the background could be either 1 back of 10, OR 2 back of 17. Unfortunately, I am not sure when she moved to 1 /10. She was certainly living in 2 / 17 in 1916 when he son enlisted in the army.

Hi Brummie Rose.. just to be a bit picky about that photo... the piles of earth will not have been from a bomb falling in the garden, as the house would not have been intact if it had fallen that close. It is more likely to be spoil from the construction of Anderson shelters dug in the gardens - Indeed you can see a sheet of the shelters' corrugated metal on one of the heaps.
Aside from that.. just found out that my great-great grand parents and great grandfather lived at number 5 during the early 1900s, so it is fantastic to see some photos of the houses... many thanks.

I don't now if anyone is still browsing this thread but my Nan, Rosie Robinson, lived in Oughton Place when WW1 broke out. I'm going to my Dad's and will find some photos, however from memory the houses look a little more like villas than your usual back to back and so I wonder whether what I have is taken at her home address. She was born 1894 in Solihull.

Hiya, yes I still monitor this thread and would welcome seeing any photos of Oughton Place. My family lived there before and after ww11 and their family names were Gulliver, Russell and Major.

I have some information about the bombed buildings on Oughton Road.

Both George(66) and Ada Maria(67) Harrison of number 15 Oughton Road were injured during an air raid on the 26th October 1940. Unfortunately Ada died on the 27/10/1940 followed by George on the 11/12/1940.

Hi..In the 1950s we lived in Oughton Road Highgate...My mother worked at a jewellers on Kyrwicks Lane..Sparkbrook isnt an area normally associated with the manufacture of jewellery I remember a long low roofed building full of stamping and pressing machines very dickensian . can anyone remember this business who owned it and what they made.? I remember it was behind a toy shop. Roy

My Great ant lived at 1 primrose cottages oughton place camp hill deritend in 1911 but can't find anything on the place

Hi..In the 1950s we lived in Oughton Road Highgate...My mother worked at a jewellers on Kyrwicks Lane..Sparkbrook isnt an area normally associated with the manufacture of jewellery I remember a long low roofed building full of stamping and pressing machines very dickensian . can anyone remember this business who owned it and what they made.? I remember it was behind a toy shop. Roy
Perhaps it could have been at 101 Kyrwicks Lane, Melsom products Ltd, Imitation Jewellery manufactures, front of which was Bourne W. hardware dealer. (see red dot on 1956 map)

101 kyrwicks lane.PNG

For reference, an aerial view dated 1937 of Oughton Place (red dot) - Highgate Place (green dot) - Kyrwicks Lane (blue dot). Maybe the 'places' had become 'roads' by the date of the view.
OughtonPlace1937.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove' website

Back