• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OUGHTON PLACE , Aston , Birmingham

Amanda Wright

master brummie
Hiya
Ive been trying to find a street map or photos of
Has anyone any info on it please .
Thankyou
Enjoy your wet bank holiday monday.xxx

Amanda, Oughton Place may have been a name for just a terrace of houses. Do you not have a street name at all? Where did the name come from - a marriage certificate or something similar? I ask because the ecclesiastical district may be a help.

There were no other details on the 1911, so it's hard to determine the area Oughton Place was in. Were they there in 1901 or not? The 1901 will have the other details on. I was not querying the actual name, just trying to see if there were more details like in earlier censuses. I don't have access to Ancestry at the moment (just sent for FTM which will give me 6 months - due on Saturday) so I can't actually fiddle around myself. Are youi able to move along the road and see what the next place is - such as does Oughton Place lead to a name of a road, further down the census? Does that sound as clear as mud or can you understand what I am trying to get at?

Hiya
no they werent there in 1901- but I think its aston/deritend.
What a great idea !! I'll click through the next censuses -- censusi ( whats the plural of census anyway ?) :eek:)
will go see and let you know if i get anywhere.
its piddling dwn here so I can stay in and do this without feeling like I should be gardening :eek:)

Amanda - another member has just come up with where it was - it was Highgate. My own family lived in the same street, Kyrwicks Lane. The pulral of census is censuses as far as I know - will check the Oxford Concise to make sure!

Looking at the Kellys (1908) it looks like Oughton Place was between numbers 49 and 59 Kyrwicks Lane ....

Oughton Place, between Moseley Rd and Kyrwicks Lane off Highgate Place. Also the back of the Friends Intitute and Hawleys Bakery. According to my map was in postal district 12 Balsall Heath.

Phil

Attachments

• Oughton Place.JPG
    Oughton Place.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 62
Wow Thankyou Phil
Thats great .
Enjoy the rest of your day.
I'm up in Brum all week, from tomorrow.
We going grave hunting,
Warstone Lane, Handsworth and Lodge Hill. xx

Well my Oxford English does not give a plural at all. What dictionary have you used? Interesting to see the Oxford has not got it, but it has a whole paragraph on censor.

I googled it [h=2][/h]Even though the word census is of Latin origin, and in ancient times the plural would probably have been censi, in common usage today the plural is censuses.
So basically both are correct .............i'll stick to censi :eek:)

I thought it might be of Latin origin. I shall stick to censuses, I feel censi sounds like something is missing. Ha Ha.

Oh, somebody's been sitting in the knife drawer!!!! That made me laugh, it was quite unexpected.

Nah, don't like prickly plants, even if they don't need watering very often.

Well done Aston lad and Phil for locating Oughton Place.
I have also learnt something - censi - it is like cactus and cacti isn't it!

Hiya, Amanda,

I remember Oughton Place well as I used to visit my relatives who used to live at 2 back of 17 Oughton Place and I do have some photos which were taken in the mid 1940's with some of the properties in the background. This area was heavily bombed and there is quite a lot of damaged walls and rubble in the background of the photos. Are you still interested?

My family were the Russell family. My Grandfather lived there in 1920 and my father was born there in 1921. I believe my grandfather probably lived there in 1916 but that is another storey which I won't bother you with at the moment!! A real mystery to me. I used to visit in the 1950s and the family moved from there in the early 1960s when the area was cleared under the slum clearance programme but by that time my relatives had moved to 1 bk of 10, Oughton Place - my aunt (who brought up my father after his mother died when he was aged 9) lived at 1 bk 10 and my other aunt lived next door. I can still remember the house - two up and two down with the railway sidings very close by which would keep me awake all night when I stayed there with their shunting about. Oughton Place was not on a road as I remember but was typical back to back housing. My aunts house still ad bomb damage in the 1950s as one had dropped right in the front garden and the house the windows and front door all 'leaned' terribly. As I am new to this forum I will see if I can upload photos to it, if not can I contact you by personal email address and send them to you directly?

Rose

Hiya
Yes ofcourse.
i am quite new aswell so am not sure how to explain to you to load the photo's up.
If they dont work
here is my email [removed for security please contact via Instant Message Bernie]
xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Here goes.. . This is my great aunt, Emma Russell in Oughton Place abt. 1945-6. The houses can be seen in the background.

Emily Russell (Aunt Pem) ENHANCED.jpg

and this is my mum and dad and cousins . . .

Albert & Betty with Shirley and Jean Cohen.jpg

Hi Amanda, Just noticed your post on the home page...it is probably best to remove your email address from your post as anyone can look in on the site..better to send it by private message I think. :)

Also, found this one of my aunt and uncle and cousins which probably shows the properties of Oughton Place better.

Sheila & Maurice Cohen with children.jpg

I have just noticed that the photo of my Great Aunt shows her standing next to what looks like an Anderson Shelter!

Thankyou Rose,
Those are super pictures !!
Now i have an idea of what the houses looked like.
you are lucky having old pictures of your family like that.
thankyou again.x

Back