• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Osborne Adelaide Veronica Mary resting place?

Heath Street

master brummie
Really dont know where to start - after 4 years of searching for my grandmother (died but not born - an earlier thread)
There is no family alive to help with any ideas - Adelaide Veronica Mary Osborne died of TB aged 25 in May 1922. She married in St. Vincents Catholic Chapel, Ashted Row in March 1917 to Albert Osborne and died in City Hospital, Northfield, as no-birth certificate can be found for her - throughout the country - and only having her fathers name of William Hemmings (deceased)master coach builder? on her marriage certificate, no note of her on any census even 1911 and her address on marriage certificate is that of Albert's. So that I can draw a line on this 'lady' I would love to visit her grave (if I knew where to look) or even perhaps be able to see church records of her marriage/death - perhaps hoping that it would show her mothers name? or her birth town - wishful thinking maybe? Can anyone suggest any ideas - Val - former Heath Street resident

Deaths 2/4 1922
Osborne Adelaide V M 25 King's N. vol6d page56
(So born c1896-7)

Marriages 1/4 1917
Osborne Albert J Hemmings Aston vol6d page755

Those are known to you already.

The only possible birth is:

Births 2/4 1895
Hemmings Mary Adelaide Wolverhampton vol6b page584

So that's second quarter 1895 Wolverhampton vol6b page584.

I wonder how accurate the 1922 age is, or how it was found.

Mary adelaide born wolverhampton 1895 is on census with father Joseph a boot Riveter.

I have had a look at your posts on this subject and I have come up with the following which may provided an answer.

Adelaide Mary Blakeman baptism 19 Apr 1857 ALL SAINTS, LEAMINGTON, WARWICK
Father’s name William Blakeman mothers name Martha

Adelaide Mary BLAKEMAN married William HEMMING, Warwick, Warwickshire Q1/1883 -6D/677. William Hemming died Kent 1910, Adelaide M Hemming died Kent 1930

On the 1901 census William born 1858 Worcestershire a Coachman (Domestic), his wife Adelaide and 6 children, all born Warwickshire, are at Wickham Stables, West Wickham, Kent. Adelaide is still there in 1911 with son Ernest and youngest daughter Mabel Hemming who was baptised on 9 Jul 1896, All Saints, Leamington, Warwickshire. Father William Hemming mother Adelaide Mary Hemming.

Albert J OSBORNE, born 1894 Kidderminster, with family 197 Francis St, Ashted, Birmingham, in 1911

Adelaide M V Hemmings married Albert J Osborne 1917.

But was this Mabel I wonder?

​With regard to the final resting place I can only hazard a guess. I think the city hospital Northfield would be Selly Oak Hospital and that she may be buried at Lodge Hill Cemetery, Selly Oak.

Regards

Clarkie

Hi Val,

Have you tried contacting Witton cemetary? As Adelaide was living in Nechells it is well worth a try.

Macca

HI GUYS ;
I May be wrong but for some reason i have reason to beleive that around that early years of that period there use to be a burial site
some where over a place called little bromwich when i was growing up as i was brought up on the lichfield and our uncle george died
and i was only a little whipper snapper at the time the older kids used to talk about a place called little bromwich where there was a cemetry
around that given period of time along with witton ;cemetry ; failing that there is only witton and lodge hill and handsworth available
on the subject of the hemming and the osbournes is there any relationship to the hemmings of heath street and osbournes of black street winson green; as they are only around the corner from each other [ just a thought ]
best wishes to everybody astonian;;

Adelaide may have been living in Nechells at one time but note the remark the she died in City Hospital, Northfield.
and the death registration below.

OSBORNE, Adelaide V M, Kings Norton, Worcestershire

Clarkie

On marriage it gives her age as 20 in 1917 and on death 25 in 1922 so I arrive at her birth as about 1897. 4 years on wish I could just erase her from my mind, that would make it easier to finish my TREE, she's my grandmother I never met so finding that difficult, thanks for your information but had dismissed it owing to birth year. Val

Think I might have to come and spend a week in Birmingham and do some trailing around! Strange you mention Heath Street as my Gt Grandmother lived there (Osborne) and one of her daughters (Matilda) married a Charles Hemmings but I have researched this connection EXTENSIVELY and a William Hemmings or an Adelaide does not pop up anywhere. Dont know about Osborne's in Black Street, do you have any idea of their names? Many thanks - Val

Clarkie - Thats some research - I have been in contact with a member of the family you mention above and after much discussion we find we are not RELATED.....such a pity, Mabel not Adelaide. In my early days of research I latched onto this family, it seemed the answer...but I appreciate your help. Val

It is strange that they are not related there seemed to be a lot of connecting parts.

Maybe Adelaide was not born in England?

Clarkie

Clarkie - strange that keeps going through my mind - it was mentioned many many years ago by a member of family that there could have been some Spanish in family!!! but I feel with so little information to go on wouldn't know where to start. Thats where I was thinking perhaps church records could be some help with some names. I have noticed on her death cert. that name says Adelaide Veronica Magdalene Osborne? On marriage Adelaide Mary Veronica Hemmings on one of her sons birth cert. Mary Veronica Hemmings, I have tried all these for births but nothing. Thanks for your reply - Val

Clarkie - I also thought that there was so much that tied up. Have just looked at my notes from Mabel's relative, I notice she comments that perhaps she had changed her name as well! but goes on to say that Mabel married in 1914 in Somerset to either a Harold G Brock or Rowland G Osborne. Apparently Mabels father William a Coachman died in 1897 - the year Mabel and Adelaide were born.... bye for now - Val

Just a small point Mabel born 1896 was with her father William and the rest of the family on 1901 census. I believe he died in 1910.

Clarkie

just to throw another spanner in the works I have found this arrival on Ancestry - 25 Jun 1912 Adelaide Hemming arrived in Portsmouth, England on board the Corinthic her place of embarkation was Montevideo South America. She travelled alone - 1st class - and her country of last permanent residence was South America. Unfortunately it doesn't give a date of birth. bewdley

Clarkie - You are correct - just spent last 3 hours researching Mabel/William on census and also looking at the Ancestry family tree of the person I have been in contact with (back in 2010) and note that they have births, marriages and deaths info. that are not the correct ones for the said people, there are even two different marriages for Mabel and a death that does not apply to her. I have found this quite a common procedure that people do, at one time someone decided they liked my Gt Gt Grandfather George and took his information, then when I checked he was not related to them in anyway other than the name? OH WELL, I end up spending hours taking it to the extreme. On the 1911 census Mabel lived in Kent with her mother Adelaide and some siblings. No idea where I go from here - I did note that this family are a Hemming and not Hemmings but of course the names are changed over time. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated - Val

just to throw another spanner in the works I have found this arrival on Ancestry - 25 Jun 1912 Adelaide Hemming arrived in Portsmouth, England on board the Corinthic her place of embarkation was Montevideo South America. She travelled alone - 1st class - and her country of last permanent residence was South America. Unfortunately it doesn't give a date of birth. bewdley

bewdley - OH DEAR - that makes her sound (from money) I'm sure my grandfather would not have been able to keep her in the manner she was accustomed......cant imagine such a lady taking a job in Munitions.... but will look into this record...you never know, but a d.o.b would help a little - many thanks for your help, Val

UPDATE - ADELAIDE

All this time gone by and still no Birth for Adelaide but after 11 months research have found her Resting Place - St.Josephs R.C. Church, unfortunately since her death many alterations have taken place there and not sure her Stone still there, BUT have been given a name that may be able to help - I've not given up yet.....Val

How frustrating.

Were there any marriage witnesses? If so is there a connection?

Is it possible she was illegitimate and her father's name fictitious? (I've had that happen)

As it seems she was RC is it possible that her middle name(s) were added at her confirmation or some other ceremony?

How frustrating.

Were there any marriage witnesses? If so is there a connection?

Is it possible she was illegitimate and her father's name fictitious? (I've had that happen)

As it seems she was RC is it possible that her middle name(s) were added at her confirmation or some other ceremony?

Lovely to get a reply - I've exhausted marriage witnesses, not related and they moved to Wales not long after Adelaide's marriage and did not have any children for quite a few years........so felt that was a dead end. Yes could possibly be illegitimate, but why so many names. on death certificate the Mary is replaced with Magdalena, on one of her sons birth there is no Mary, on my fathers its as title. No birth, christening, no census, only thing I know is she worked in Munitions at marriage - led to believe no records for that? The gentleman I spoke to regards the Head Stone commented that her name was made up of very religious names? Its my birthday on Monday and am so hoping this gentleman will get in touch before then saying he has found stone, I will then pop to Brum and lay some flowers - but have feeling she is not meant to be found, fortunately I have ONE photo of her with my grandfather - Val

Back