• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girl who told me about them was taken by her then boyfriend to his parents an presented with some sort of stew, Apparently the eyeballs in it were a delicacy which she, as the homoured guest, was expected to consume and enjoy !!!

our Maurice
Years ago we had a apprentice who stripped the cars ready for the work to be done, one day we got some sheeps eyes complete from a butchers, and put them under the seat. after a while the shouting started,he had found them.and thought they was human. ......Sorry that man:D:grinning:
Pete, when I was at school and working in a butcher’s shop at night. It was my job to take the sheep’s head, take all the skin off and eyes out. Next we would split in half exposing the brains in two halves(supposedly some people wanted to see them that way, fresh). Never did really like that job although splitting was a little scary!

Pete, when I was at school and working in a butcher’s shop at night. It was my job to take the sheep’s head, take all the skin off and eyes out. Next we would split in half exposing the brains in two halves(supposedly some people wanted to see them that way, fresh). Never did really like that job although splitting was a little scary!
i hope no viewers are screemish. thats more than we need to know.:worried::(

Glad I finished my most enjoyable supper a while ago! I remember seeing almost daily a pile of cattle heads on a trolley complete with eyes but skinned (a right bloody mess and I'm not swearing) outside a wholesale butcher in Bournemouth - a right gory spectacle, and I always looked the other way. Fortunately it was a very wide pave ment at that point.

Maurice :cool:

Glad I finished my most enjoyable supper a while ago! I remember seeing almost daily a pile of cattle heads on a trolley complete with eyes but skinned (a right bloody mess and I'm not swearing) outside a wholesale butcher in Bournemouth - a right gory spectacle, and I always looked the other way. Fortunately it was a very wide pave ment at that point.

our maurice i think these posts are getting much too gory.its a family forum,dont forget

Not exactly a very old recipe, but remember prawn cocktail ? I still like it and have occasionally made it as a starter for Christmas lunch. I think it was popular in the 1960s/70s. There seems to be a resurgence of this type of food. Viv.

39266FDC-6A7A-4848-BBE3-B40C71B29FD1.jpeg

I think you can still buy Spam. This used to make me physically sick. It was regularly on school dinner menus as Spam Fritters. If I was forced to have them at lunchtime, it was guaranteed to make me sick in the afternoon. What on earth was/is in Spam ? Do people still eat it ? Viv.

I think you can still buy Spam. This used to make me physically sick. It was regularly on school dinner menus as Spam Fritters. If I was forced to have them at lunchtime, it was guaranteed to make me sick in the afternoon. What on earth was/is in Spam ? Do people still eat it ? Viv.

They sure do. Nice thick slices on bread and butter. Can't beat it. :yum Not sure my cholesterol agrees though.
Have to admit I haven't a clue what's in it and I don't care. Seconds please.:D:D

NoddKD. In danger of getting large.

yes
Monty Python':grinning:
being serious now, i do i love it fried with eggs and beans and mushrooms.:yum

Last edited:
Not exactly a very old recipe, but remember prawn cocktail ? I still like it and have occasionally made it as a starter for Christmas lunch. I think it was popular in the 1960s/70s. There seems to be a resurgence of this type of food. Viv.

View attachment 152276
Aaaah! Memories of Berni Inns! A schooner of Harveys Bristol Cream before your meal, Prawn cocktail starter, a steak cooked to your preference and then as a dessert Black Forest Gateau. Afterwards as a "digestif" a Gaelic coffee. 60s dining perfection!!!

Here you are Viv. thoughI think they are being a bit disingenuous, in that scrapings form bones all mashed up would not, to most people constitute "pork with ham"

ScreenHunter 2322.jpg

spam now tasted like any other luncheon meat to me now. greasy not like it was ,there is a lot of junk in it.
it sure lives up to its name.

he meat mixture is combined with preservatives and flavoring agents, such as sugar, salt, potato starch and sodium nitrite, and then canned, closed and vacuum-sealed.
:(

It still looks much the same, Mort, but I suppose that is the general idea of the canners to make you think that it is the same. Adding sugar to anything kills the taste for me, and potato starch is just a bulking agent, similar to cornflour, to make it all hang together and to disguise the ingredients. And why salt? Ism't ham and bacon very salty anyway as part of the curing process? No doubt the only way to make a true comparison is to open up one of the much ol;der cans - do the Black Country Museum have any? - and cook a couple of slices in separate pans. My bet is that you would finish off the old can in one hit! :cool:

For our vegetarians, do people still eat nut loaf ? I remember it being the main vegetarian dish when restaurants were switching on to offering a vegetarian option. Is it still popular today ? Viv.

My husband had liver and onions last night (I had chicken kiev instead!) the smell is still lingering even with the doors open!
We still have Spam, I heard once it was from "Specially Prepared American Meat" but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back