• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Yes 1966 was when the Five Ways roundabout was being built. However there was a time, and I am not sure exactly when this was, that Hagley Road buses ran via Harborne Road and Highfield Road. I think it was much earlier than the 1960s. Harborne Road in those days was one way from Five Ways. I thought also at that time Highfield Road was one way towards the Hagley Road. I know that it was in the early 1970s as I used to drive up the right hand side of the road and turn right into Hagley Road opposite the Plough and Harrow. However in this photo it must have been two way as the cars are facing in the opposite direction from the buses. I am also interested to see that in those days there was a no. 2 bus with its terminus in Highfield Road as there is a Bundy clock there, although I don't recognise the style of Bundy clock..

Its an ordinary Bundy clock David, but there's a large square gatepost behind with an oversized topstone on, that disguises it. Yes, Harborne Road was one way from Five Ways, and Hagley Rd one way to Five Ways from Highfield Road earlier on but had ended by then.

The buses have Birmingham Corporation coats of arms on their sides, so its certainly before the formation of WMPTE in 1969.

This little changed photo is tagged College Rd Hall Green, but I would tad it perhaps more correctly as Sparkhill or even more locally as Springfield.

Attachments

• Hall Green College Road.JPG
    Hall Green College Road.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 81
#4302, such a lovely picture, shows what I think is an early summers morning, misty background with bright sunlight breaking through the houses on the Eastern side, quite beautiful and atmospheric.Paul

You talking atmospheric Paul...and it was, very.....what about this beauty of Caroline Street, St Paul's Square...looking at the Church....possibly named after one of the Colmore's??

Caroline Street.jpg

This little changed photo is tagged College Rd Hall Green, but I would tad it perhaps more correctly as Sparkhill or even more locally as Springfield.
. Hi Phil. I'm trying to guess which way we are looking. I think Stratford Road is behind us, with Springfield Road to the left and right, and perhaps Woodlands Road also to the right. The iron railings could be College Road school. There appears to be a very large building in the distance on the left. I wonder if this is Moseley Grammar school or what became Moseley Grammar. Very nice photo. Dave.

farmerdave

You are bang on with the location, this is the same scene today, and yes I would think the large building peering through the mist to the left is Moseley Grammar off Wake Green Road.

Attachments

• college rd.JPG
    college rd.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 59
You are right Dennis, just before the Christmas holidays I recon, with the lamp post adornments. When a small boy in Birmingham, I soon realised at even that young age, that our old, dusty city, had a sort of surreal beauty, and the smell of the brickwork on the old houses in the summers heat was in a way magical. I still remember the smell after a rain storm, the same way, I have never forgotten those aroma's that's why at nearly 70yrs, I am still in love with our old city of my birth, and why I love this forum, for bringing it back to life for me. Paul

Why should this happen? A whole row of houses converted to shops! When did this occur? Being opposite to what was Victoria Park appears to have been a good place to live.

As the areas just off the main roads became built up there would be need for shops. It was the ambition of many working people to become their own boss and being
a shopkeeper seemed an ideal chance to do that. So many small shops were set up in front rooms of houses. Today if you go round the side streets of Birmingham you will see many shops which have been converted back to houses when that dream faded.

Request: Are there any pictures of Kent Street North (specifically No. 3) about please? From Google Street View it looks as though the whole area was flattened and rebuilt in recent years. I am seeking pre-War.

Maurice

Request: Are there any pictures of Kent Street North (specifically No. 3) about please? From Google Street View it looks as though the whole area was flattened and rebuilt in recent years. I am seeking pre-War.

Maurice

hi maurice..where abouts was it...i will look out for you...

lyn

ok maurice...shame i did not know earlier i was at the library today...going again next week..noted it down

lyn

Kent Street North was at the top of Lodge Hill. My brother and sister in law lived in a house there. They were nice houses too.

Sorry I called it Lodge Hill because it was right at the top, but it was Lodge Road.

I'm tracking William & Olga LEWIS (nee BIRD) who lived at No 3 for all the pre-war years from 1930. I was not at all familiar with the area when I lived in Brum and that was 54 years ago!

Maurice

Not a particularly good one, of junction Kent St North and Devonshire St

Family_advice_centere_devonshire_st__kent_st_north_1972A~0.jpg

My wife June Chapman lived in Kent street North number 15 she as a brother David Chapman and brother Donald Trapp (step brother) there house was a back to back three storey
she had a friend Pat Price lived on the other side of the road in one of the terraces this is a link to Kent street North follow the link and scroll down to Kent street north
https://www.winsongreentobrookfields.co.uk/id24.htm

Thanks very much Mike. I've no idea which end number 3 was - nowadays it's in a little branch off the middle.

gingerjon, they must have been happy there as they stayed for years!

Maurice

Thanks very much Mike. I've no idea which end number 3 was - nowadays it's in a little branch off the middle.

gingerjon, they must have been happy there as they stayed for years!

Maurice

on the electoral rolls, Olga was still at that address (no. 3 Kent St. North) in 1965 with Alan W. and Margery Lewis at no. 4.

Thanks, Shera, my subscription to Midlands Historical Data ran out a few weeks ago! Olga died in 1979 and I haven't searched for children yet, plus FMP has been playing up all afternoon. Just emailed them about it.

Maurice

Thanks very much Mike. Numbers on one side of the street only I see. Olga was a first cousin once removed and was from a side of the family I never met. As she had about ten children I've no doubt some of them may be still about, so a photograph may well yet show up.

Maurice

interesting map of kent st north mike..i guess they must exist elsewhere but i dont think ive seen street or road where one side have houses onto the street and the other side are all terrraces or places..hence no numbering...

lyn

Back