• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Wedding Group Reception 002.jpg Mermaid Hotel. February 1954 001.jpg

Ref: Posting #4554 (Northfield) & posting 4559 (self)

A couple of photos of the old Mermaid Hotel Ballroom. Early 1954..

First photo is a wedding reception. The Ballroom still retained its lovely 1920/30's elegance.

Second photo is myself when I worked there, taken, I think, around February 1954.

The double doors beyond my kit was the entrance to the bar.

Eddie

View attachment 98321View attachment 98322

Help! I have known the older picture for years, its Stockfield Rd., Yardley 1928.I have always taken it to be near to the corner of Waterloo Rd. I lived and worked nearby for years so just knew! However if you look at the present day Google picture the roof lines are all wrong. So just where on Stockfield Rd. is this picture taken? Webbs had a place on Yardley Rd in 1970's next to the cemetery. The major dualling of the road had been done in 1926 apart from the railway bridge which didn't happen until 1941.

The shops were on the opposite side of Stockfield Rd from Waterloo rd

The American Fresh Meat company run by the Bell family from Glasgow, They had 333 branches in the UK selling American meat off the plains of Wyoming.
John Bell was the main agent for Mr T C Eastman & it was on his recomendation that Bell opened the shops to sell direct to the public,
Eastman had come across resistance to his foreign meat by the established butchers, In short in 1899 the company Eastmans Ltd was formed & by 1900 there was not a Bell or Eastman on the board,
Bought in 1922 by the Vestey bros Union Cold Storage Ltd to go with their Dewhurst chain,

high mohawk i lived at 21 that picture looks further down, I lived their 70&80 a lot of people where still their from when they where built.

high mohawk i lived at 21 that picture looks further down, I lived their 70&80 a lot of people where still their from when they where built. mitchell

High phil my mistake i am going through all the great pictures on this site i got to page 178 and replied to mohawk about his picture of grindleford road perry beeches ,I lived at 21 in 70&80, I lived not far from their 1955 to 1964 as my dad was caretaker handy man at cawalladers shopfitters next to the canal on aldridge road seen the picture of stacey and allen newsagent corner of church lane i did two paper rounds their , I have being trying to find any pictures of cadwalladers as we lost most of our pictures when we moved. mitchell

High phil my mistake i am going through all the great pictures on this site i got to page 178 and replied to mohawk about his picture of grindleford road perry beeches ,I lived at 21 in 70&80, I lived not far from their 1955 to 1964 as my dad was caretaker handy man at cawalladers shopfitters next to the canal on aldridge road seen the picture of stacey and allen newsagent corner of church lane i did two paper rounds their , I have being trying to find any pictures of cadwalladers as we lost most of our pictures when we moved. mitchell
Hi Mitchell - I left Grindleford Rd in the 1960's before the elevated M6 was built which split the estate into two. My parents lived there until the 1990s. There is a 1940s photo on the forum which shows a glimpse of the back of houses near where you lived click on this link here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10107&p=65443#post65443

regards
oldmohawk

Hi thanks for reply when we moved into 21 Grindleford in 1973 we where still having problems with the motorway as they had covered over the brook and put one of the columns into the brook causing the gardens to flood,I remember seeing a write up in the paper and a picture at the time not sure if it was evening mail or local paper i was in my early 20 then so you lads where older than me,I had a very good friend in his 70 then lived at 29 his name was George Ingram he moved their in 45 from where the swimming baths was built on beeches road also where the policeman shot the football player, George run for birchfield harriers. My reference to where i lived before as my dad was caretaker handyman at cadwalladers shopfitters 1955 to 1964 . Cadwalladers was on aldridge road half way between boars head and perry beeches estate by canal it did used tobe called blakeland farm.In the 60 i helped deliver the milk and bread and cut a lot of the hedges on the beeches estate. mitchell

I had a very good friend in his 70 then lived at 29 his name was George Ingram he moved their in 45
At my young age in the photo in the other thread I remember a man named Ingram and after just looking on Streetview I pretty sure he lived at number 29.
My old memory fades a bit these days but I vaguely remember seeing him fly box kites from the place on the field in the photo. If necessary we can discuss it in the other thread, but in the meantime there is a forum pic of Hassop Road before the motorway was built click/here.

Hi astoness your picture 5 opposite perry barr park i knew very well if you keep walking to left of pictrure you would come to two big blue gates with bulpitts written over top i watched football in their nearly every week long entrance big single football pitch then a smaller field to the right remember watching cricket their was a tea room and you could buy sweets their.The blue gates where opposite the toilets front of park then the boars head if you stayed right of boars head you come to ken vynie stores. If you went left at boars head aldridge road left side two houses second house had covered roof on side sold fresh vegetables and toffee apples was at one time a farm then allotments, On the right side blakeland estate, over bridge right side cadwalladers shopfitters.mitchell.

Hi astoness your picture 5 opposite perry barr park i knew very well if you keep walking to left of pictrure you would come to two big blue gates with bulpitts written over top i watched football in their nearly every week long entrance big single football pitch then a smaller field to the right remember watching cricket their was a tea room and you could buy sweets their.The blue gates where opposite the toilets front of park then the boars head if you stayed right of boars head you come to ken vynie stores. If you went left at boars head aldridge road left side two houses second house had covered roof on side sold fresh vegetables and toffee apples was at one time a farm then allotments, On the right side blakeland estate, over bridge right side cadwalladers shopfitters.mitchell.page 269

img123.jpgHi i wonder if any one knows how to get on to the site where digital handsworth have moved to and see their 1955 ariel pictures you can zoom right in to see area i coppied this last year but cannot zoom in the reference to this site do not work any more, mitchell

Thanks janice for link to their new site still a really good site just not found my way round yet. The aerial view i am looking for not under perry barr and typing it in does not help i will widen the search.Thanks again mitchell.

Hi astoness your picture 5 opposite perry barr park i knew very well if you keep walking to left of pictrure you would come to two big blue gates with bulpitts written over top i watched football in their nearly every week long entrance big single football pitch then a smaller field to the right remember watching cricket their was a tea room and you could buy sweets their.The blue gates where opposite the toilets front of park then the boars head if you stayed right of boars head you come to ken vynie stores. If you went left at boars head aldridge road left side two houses second house had covered roof on side sold fresh vegetables and toffee apples was at one time a farm then allotments, On the right side blakeland estate, over bridge right side cadwalladers shopfitters.mitchell.page 269
Hi Mitchell - The area you mention is shown in this 1950 aerial view. The Boars Head top right with Aldridge Rd going out of the top of the view and those houses on the left. The Church Tavern can be seen middle left with the park entrance nearby, and the Zig Zag bridge bottom centre. The view is from the website below.
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw030284?search=perry barr&ref=1
oldmohawk

boarshead.JPG

Thanks mohawk sighned up to other site i think it may take a bit of time to work it out. The picture bottom left is where the milk dairy was built gone now the park front electricity building then toilets i forgot the building behind i think some type of hall not sure if it is still their.The shops on other side of road picture 5 astoness showed she mentioned garage on side of first shop if i remember right they stored stuff for the shop in their i think people lived over shops. I lived just a bit further up aldridge road by canal cadwalladers shopfitters we lived old farmhouse near the road our address was blakeland farm even though it was owned by cadwalladers.I have been doing my ancestry so i have done the history of the farm i have been unable to find any pictures of house i thought i might have got it on the aeriel shot 1955 that was on digital handsworth site last year you could see all the out building but angle of the shot trees blocked the whole house it was a very big house in every direction their was a atic with three bedrooms no heating to cold to live up their and the bottom floor was used for storage for the factory the trees where taken down not long after that picture it was car park for offices the only picture we have is me as a young lad standing in front of offices, I still keep looking thanks again mitchell

Thanks janice for link to their new site still a really good site just not found my way round yet. The aerial view i am looking for not under perry barr and typing it in does not help i will widen the search.Thanks again mitchell.

If you want the Handsworth link shown in your original post then go here https://www.search.birminghamimages...eFrom=1900&DateTo=1999&ThemeID=35&SortOrder=0

I found it by searching for 20th century and places in the drop down boxes.

Janice

Thanks janice it is their cannot zoom in as close on new site wanted to take a fresh look at why i could not see the house .Their is a map on their site for 1900 of this area this has every thing written on it all the farms where the moat in perry hall park is,it shows how the water and canal dominated this area. The area from behind boars head up aldridge road to canal was perry warf .Information of another site shows back of boars head was a mortuary at one time mentioned in court cases. My mom worked in boars head but my dad spent more time in their,If any one is doing their ancestry in this area most of this area pery barr ,erdington ,kingstanding sutton most areas on that side on census come under handsworth staffordshire electoral roll litchfield, Always check each house census when they where coppied into print they coppied names wrong to often, fodens owned blakeland farm at one time it was coppied as soden the original one was clearly foden so double check fodens run boars head at one time thanks again janice mitchell.

hi folks its been ages since i posted new pics on this thread...sorted out some more last night and will be posting them sometime today...

lyn

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back