• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norker - Richard

norker

Brummie babby
Does anyone know of a Richard Norker listed on the 1911 census,also his son William Norker and Mary McDonald. Address looks like 229 farm st All Saints Warwickshire district 27 schedule number 105. I am researching for my family tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not find him on the 1911 census either, nor 1901.

229 Farm Street is a family with the surname Butler on the 1911 census.

Janice

William Norker (son of Richard) married Mary McDonald in Liverpool in 1860. Where he was before or where he went after I don't know.

Possibly had a brother Thomas who also marries in 1860 and does appear in the censuses.

I found schedule 105 in All Saints and it is a family called Hooper at 299 Farm Street. I could not find a 229 listed at all.

Janice

Do you have any reason to believe that the Norker family were in Birmingham.
Every entry I have seen Birth , marriage or death has been in Liverpool or surrounds.
The only entry I found for a Richard Norker was in Toxteth workhouse in 1881 but he was born 1830 too late to have a son old enough to marry in 1860.

my great grandfather was william norker who wed 26th feb 1860,we have only just started the family tree,my mother was Ann Hazlett ,her parents were Thomas Hazlett and Elizabeth Ann Norker, William norker and Mary mac Donald were elizabeths parents,Richard was Williams father he was a labourer, the other richard that ended up as a pauper was a carter his son was john. at the moment we have a couple of open leads on richard [labourer] who is my main concern at the moment.As you know the families mostly lived around the liverpool area but are all connected, the bugbear is them naming the children the same names year after year. IF we can help just ask. I have sent the copy of the 1911 census to the forum ,I know it is not the usual area but I follow every lead

leIt me know please if you got the photo I sent regarding 1911 census as I am not up to scratch with technology

How do you post a photo, I have tried to send my copy so you can see the census with Norkers in Birmingham but with no luck.

Hi I have corrected the link. Loaded it from the phone and lost a bit of it.

Hi I have corrected the link. Loaded it from the phone and lost a bit of it.
Thank you for your reply,I have come to the conclusion that it must be me as I still cannot open the page and am fed up putting my details in.What I have decided to do is to write everything about the census in a message. And send,do you think that would be acceptable.

Hi I don't think it is you as just tried the link from my phone and though it opens it opens at an incorrect page. Give as much info as you can on where to locate it and see if the folk can locate it.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Why do you have to keep putting details in by the way? Click on remember me until sorted.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

You will find the instructions within this area - information regarding the network and its sites.
  • forum_old-48.png
    [h=2]Questions and Answers Regarding The Forum[/h]
    If you have a question about this forum or any part of the Birmingham History Network, here's the place to do it!
    [h=4]Sub-Forums:[/h]

there is a Mr Norker on the 1911 England census summary book it shows 2 females and 2 males living at 3 douglas terrace back of 299 farm st all saints Birmingham,
but there dosn't seem to be an actual census form.

Although the transcription is Norker on the summary the name is Hooper for Schedule 105 at 299 Farm Street on the actual census. I am left wondering if the name on the summary should actually be Hooper. I cannot find the address of Douglas Terrace but the number of people matches.

norker hooper.jpg

Janice

Douglas Terrace is on the census between 295 & 297 Farm St., but only nos 4,5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,& names respectively are Wilkes, Pitcher, Green, Hands, Blythe. Houldcroft, Allen, Horne, & Mansell . more importantly schedules nos 92 & 93 seem to be missin g, and these would have been (presumably) nos 2 & 3 Douglas Terrace

Perhaps I should have said that on the summary it looks like "Hooper" as the P (or K) extends below the line. It is also listed as 299 & 3 Douglas Terrace which is why I thought it might have been transcribed wrongly. It is also listed as schedule 105 which is the Hooper family. The summary page has number 3 crossed out and the words "included in 299 farm Street schedule 105" written in.

norker hooper summary.jpgnorker hooper summary 2.jpg
Janice

Below is a map c 1889 showing the area. Have numbered houses, court 66 in the census is divided into Douglas Terrace and Athol Terrace . Nos 1,2,3 Douglas terrace were 1,2,3 Court 66 and were back houses to the ones fronting the street. As they are not really part of a terrace, but separate, then that is where the confusing lies.

map_c_1889_showing_around_douglas_terrace.jpg

Back