• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newey

No - and I think half the fun of tracing back is wondering what our ancestors got up to. Good or bad.

No - and I think half the fun of tracing back is wondering what our ancestors got up to. Good or bad.
i agree jan..over the past 12 years of researching my ancestry i have enjoyed uncovering little skeletons in the cupboard which i bet they never thought we would find out about many years later :laughing: as we say...they can run but they cant hide :D :D

Hi Everyone,

I am a Newey living in the US, and a new member to the forum, . My Newey ancestors came to the US in the late 1800's from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area. I am not a genealogist, but have collected some information using family records and Ancestry.com. Listed below, starting with my deceased father, is what I have collected so far. I am less sure of the details the further back I go. Is there a published Newey genealogy that anyone is aware of? Is anyone here related to any of these people that could provide more information? Are there any Newey (or other) experts that could help me verify this information.

Thank you,

1636591652641.png

One slight error is that you have the DOB for Charles Newey as 23 Mar 1818. I think you may have mixed that date up with the Charles Newey son of Richard & Esther Newey, born Bham.

The DOB of your Charles Newey born Great Barr appears to be 1 Mar 1818.

One slight error is that you have the DOB for Charles Newey as 23 Mar 1818. I think you may have mixed that date up with the Charles Newey son of Richard & Esther Newey, born Bham.

The DOB of your Charles Newey born Great Barr appears to be 1 Mar 1818.
Agree that baptism date for Charles son of Richard and Phoebe is 1 Mar 1818
1636634157904.png

Also, I think you may have gone wrong with Richard (father of Charles) again mixing him up with the Richard Newey (father of the other Charles) who married an Esther Parkes

Your Richard is on the 1841 census with Phebe and Charles. Phebe dies in 1847, Richard remarries (Jane Horton) in 1848 and they are on the 1851 census, Richard dying in 1851.

This Richard appears to have been born 1791, the son of a Christopher & Elizabeth Newey Haynes.

Last edited:
MWS & Janice,
Thank you both for responding!
How incredible to have anonymous helpers across the Atlantic.
I have corrected Charles' birth date as recommended.
And it seems you are both correct about my error regarding Charles' father Richard.

Regarding Richard Newey:

The 1841 census (thank you for referencing) lists Richard, Phoebe and Charles ages as 50,60 and 20.
That would make their approximate birth dates 1791, 1781 and 1821 respectively.
I realize census ages can be of questionable accuracy.
The 1848 marriage certificate Janice attached states "Richard"'s age is 52.
That would put that same "Richard"'s birth year as +/-1796. This seems like a large difference to me.
Are you sure that is the same Richard?
The next reference states that (same?) Richard's birth date as 1792, closer to the 1971 that his 1841 census age implies.

Would happen to know of any other Newey genealogy experts or references I could use ?

Thanks again for helping me and any further advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

1841 census ages over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5. This makes it hard to place any reliance on the ages on it.
I would be more inclined to trust layer records.

1841 census ages over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5. This makes it hard to place any reliance on the ages on it.
I would be more inclined to trust layer records.
Re: "1841 census ages over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5. "

Was not aware of that. Was that true of later UK census figures as well?

Thank you again!

It's impossible to be completely certain but it seems highly likely.

Too many other details match for the slight age discrepancy on his second marriage to be significant.

Christopher is not a popular name at that time and for there to be two Richard Neweys sons of Christopher born around the same time seems unlikely. Baptism is 1791, which matches censuses and burial.

Age wasn't as important back then. Today we need to know our age for so many reasons. My own Gran born in 1891 has the wrong age on her gravestone as she told everyone the wrong year. In her words "age was guesswork back then".

Regarding baptisms in the Anglican church at the time. Was baptism generally performed soon after birth or later?

The vast majority would have been, probably within days. Due to high child mortality.

A date of birth is sometimes included when this isn't the case.

It's impossible to be completely certain but it seems highly likely.

Too many other details match for the slight age discrepancy on his second marriage to be significant.

Christopher is not a popular name at that time and for there to be two Richard Neweys sons of Christopher born around the same time seems unlikely. Baptism is 1791, which matches censuses and burial.
Hello Janice and MWS,

You have been so helpful to me.

Am having difficulty finding much information on my Richard Newey's father Christopher, other than birth marriage and death. He is named on Richard & Jane's 1848 marriage license as having been a "Carpenter". Christopher apparently dies in 1839 in Worcestire, or is it 1857 Warwickshire? Like the the former as I can find no listing of a Christopher Newey anywhere in the 1841 census. I assume there were no census reports prior to 1841? I keep pulling up information on a Christopher Isaac Newey, architect who lived in the Birmingham area at the time.

Also my Christopher Newey's parents are listed as Richard Newey and Mary. I can only find Richard Newey (1743-1798) and Mary Phillips (1743-1795)? The reason I ask is that same Richard Newey and Mary Phillips are listed as having married in 1768. My Christopher is born in 1762. Is it possible that Christopher was born out of wedlock to Mary and they are formally married six years later, or possibly another woman? Or do I have the wrong Richard Newey and Mary? Signed, Confused. Thank you again in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.32.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.32.59 AM.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.05.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.05.36 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
First full census is 1841 - before that you are reliant mainly on church records. The quality of those seems to vary and marriage records do not give helpful info like Father's name etc.
Will have a look but as I said records that far back are a bit hit and miss.

I don't think Christopher's parents were Richard Newey and Mary Phillips, they seem to have a number of children in Bham afterwards. And there are a couple of Richard Neweys born Bham who that could be.

I think your Richard Newey may have been born 1720 in Oldbury, married a Catherine Willmot in 1747 Rowley Regis and then after Catherine dies in West Brom 1752, remarries a Mary. Not all marriage records are available still.

There is a death for a Richard in West Brom 1781 and Mary (a widow) in 1797.

Though not easy to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

The Christopher who dies in 1857 in Brmingham is aged 66 so that would make his birth around 1791.
1636824672885.png
Are we sure we have the right birth date for this Christopher?

I don't think Christopher's parents were Richard Newey and Mary Phillips, they seem to have a number of children in Bham afterwards. And there are a couple of Richard Neweys born Bham who that could be.

I think your Richard Newey may have been born 1720 in Oldbury, married a Catherine Willmot in 1747 Rowley Regis and then after Catherine dies in West Brom 1752, remarries a Mary. Not all marriage records are available still.

There is a death for a Richard in West Brom 1781 and Mary (a widow) in 1797.
Possibly this one?
1636825189814.png

Back