• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nettlefolds Limited

The current company, GKN plc, was incorporated as Guest, Keen and Co Limited on 9th July 1900 on the merger of the Dowlais Iron Company with Arthur Keen's Patent Nut and Bolt Company, a business which had been set up in 1856 in Smethwick, England. In 1902 the Company acquired Nettlefolds Limited, one of the world's leading manufacturers of screws and fasteners, a business which had also been set up at Smethwick in 1854. Following the acquisition of Nettlefolds the Company changed its name to Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds Limited.
At that time Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds was one of the largest manufacturing businesses in the world, involved in every process from coal and ore extraction to iron and steel making and finally to finished products including the nuts, bolts, screws and fasteners for which it was then famous.
The business changed its focus over the last 25 years of the 20th century in response to fundamental shifts in its traditional markets.

Find More Here: https://www.gknplc.com/Groupoverview/History.asp

POM :angel:

I worked at their factory for a while in I think it was Heath St, border of Winson Green and Smethwick, down the back of The Cape Of Good Hope Pub if I remember rightly.
Worked as an order picker and had to drag a bloody great cart around to put the orders on, ok when you first started but boy oh boy did it get heavy!:|

G K N

There was a factory at Stirchley, near Kings Norton. Like Jude i did some partime work there, i was given the task of sorting and packing S hooks, like the butchers hooks, gosh was that rough on the hands!!!!!!!!!:Aah:

Hi
St Georges Mill was the main producer of self tapping screws at GkN Screws & Fasteners, Heath Street, Heath Street Mill produced Woodscrews & the 'Bolt'Mill produced a variety of products including, Socket screwa,Sems assemblies,push rods & many other Automotive products.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Nettlefolds Limited--Birmingham University Botanical Gardens

It is a shame that John Nettlefold has been somewhat forgotten in Birmingham. His great house and garden (and former farm) can be visited and is well worth the effort.

https://www.has.bham.ac.uk/botanic/history.shtml

It is better known as the the Birmingham University Botanical Gardens

It is a great pity that Birmingham University have destroyed the front garden and drive layout of the house and added a very ugly extension. Viewed from the rear garden one can see the majesty of this building in its virtual original condition. Do have a look!

JP

I remember back in the early sixties, when working for Ryland Garage, repairing GKN's Atkinson 8 wheeler lorries. More often than not we had to change broken back springs, not a pleasant task when fully loaded with swarf and suds oil dripping on you.

i worked for GKN pershore road stirchley for 20 years it was a great place to work good mates made there, but like all firms it started to go of the boil the last 2 or 3 years

John Guest lived in Brosley, Shropshire then moved to Wales with his family, his grandson Ivor Bertie Guest 1835-1914 became 1st Baron Wimborne and was married to Lady Cornelia Henrietta Maria Spencer-Churchill, daughter of John Spencer-Churchill. 7th Duke of Marlborough. There was a story in my family that we were related to G.K.N. but apart from an Ann guest who married my G.G.Grandfather Samuel peters at the Parish Church of Brosley in 1842 I have been unable to establish a link. if there is any substance to this story we were probably the poor relations.

Wendy.

GKN were the parent company of BRD in Aldridge. Products made there were : automotive propshafts and joints, mining equipment (the Polar hydraulic pitprop), Bermuda outboard motor. I have no idea what happened to that company...probably under a different name now and owned by a foreigner.

Further to your message regarding the repair of GKN vehicles. GKN Screws and Fasteners Ltd. had its own garage. This was located in Heath Street and carried out servicing and repairs to its commercial vehicles and company cars. They even developed with Colin Chapman its own car, which they intended to race. This was based on a Lotus 47 chassis with a modified Rover V8 engine. The registration number was GKN47D, a beast of a car, all power and no weight.
GKN was a progressive company and offered its work force quite a number of benefits. It offered a number of aprenteship and training schemes. It had its own fully equipped medical centre which included two dentists. It even had its own volunteer fire service.
This service was in direct completion with the volunteer fire service at Mitchells and Butlers and use to race each other to local fires.
One day there was a fire at the Ionic Plating Co. and they both arrived together. Then it was a race to get the hoses out. When they found out that it was in the cyanide plating pits, it was a race to get out. That was one fire that they left to the professionals.
The screw, nut and bolt industry became a victim of cheap imports and it became unprofitable to compete. A pity, because GKN Screws and Fasteners was very much a family employer, It was easier to get a job there if you had relatives who were already employed by them.
There must be many people who have stories of their families who worked there.

I worked on the maintenance at GKN 1962/65 in St Georges Mill and all over the site a massive factory.
GKN were victims of there own downfall, when modernising the production lines in Heath Street they sold on all the old woodscrew plant to the Far East who then flooded the market with screws made on there old machines.

My Father purchased Brass Screws from G&N and then sold them back to them for resale...Cat

My dad (sam Cotterill) worked at St geaorges for 17 yrs on nights
The stories he told me were brilliant.
You could get anything made at GKN on nights in them days

and of course the London Works Tavern was at the gate entrance..............

Phill Cotterill

As a kid I remember the Nettlefolds trucks accessing the works though a road under the railway bridge just where the Railway Inn was on Wellington/Street Vittoria Street corner.

With regard to Winterbourne House, there's more here: https://www.winterbourne.org.uk/ I haven't been but my sister informs me it's well worth a visit.

hi guys
yes its true fact that it started as netlefolds and renamed gkn in later years and to add abit more history for researching as i have it from first hand infomation from a friend whom ios an old guy whom i know very well from the black country is all i will say that he is a very dear old and close friend to mr x whom now and as lived outside the country in high life
started and set up the bussiness of screw fix direct from a little store inside guest keen and nettlefold many years ago he made a big bussines just inside netlefolds gated and he handed the bussiness to his son whom eventuasly made more money frpom the bussiness and then sold it to the present day owners for a milion or more
so thats where screw fix started from an old emloyee from nettle folds in heath street winson green
best wishes astononion

Still find that know one can match Screwfix prices for screws and bolts etc. Used to be owned by Kingfisher (b&q and woolworths in same group) but sold a few years ago.

Hi
My name is Derek Biggs
I was an apprentice from 1961 to 1966 First year Chance tech 2nd year in the GKN training school under Joe Harris. 3rd year out into the factory I worked in the Nut Shop for 6 months the Met Lab for 6 months, I worked in the wages office counting all the money for the wages to be paid at Christmas. The Erecting Shop on new builds and prototype machines, and then in Development. Tried tracing some of my old workmates from the erecting shop Geoff Southall or Southwell Derek Evans Malcolm Pullen, but no contact at all, I also worked as a GKN official tour guide that was just a brilliant job. Anyone with any other memories please

Hi Dave
Derek Biggs I was an apprentice from 1961 to 1966 any workmates names?

Hi Derek, Delboy0127
I was a GKN apprentice with Haddon and Stokes and was sent witha few others apprentices to Heath Street training school (which was considereda centre of excellence) for a few months in 1966/67. I worked my way throughthe training school doing fitting with Joe Harris, Turning with Sid Rudge andmilling with a man whose name I cannot remember. I found the place a greatplace to learn and the 3 instructors were good craftsmen with a good attitude,but I recall there was very little messing about allowed. Of the Heath Streetapprentices that were there at the time I can only remember a couple of namesMalcolm Law and I think (Mick) Bates who were the same year as me.
The reason I joinedGKN when there were plenty of other opportunities (how different to today) wasbecause a lad who lived in my street and went to my school but was a couple ofyears older than me, became a Heath Street apprentice and said GKN was a goodplace to work. When he finished his time I think he worked as an auto setter inthe Nut Shop at Heath Street, his name was Michael King, who I have not seensince those days. If you were 1961 to 66 you might have known him. This threadhas jogged a few memories, Bob James

Hi Bob Nice to here from you. The GKN training school was considered to be the best in the Country along with Joseph Lucas. The name of the other instructor in the training school I think was Len Price. And you are correct know messing about what so ever. 3 lads were expelled and sacked by Joe Harris when I was in the school. I was also a rather good Snooker player at the time playing for the apprentice team, one of the matches we played Heath Street Mill. we used to have 5 in a team and 5 matches. Our number 1 player was delayed so they asked me to step in, to play Heath Streets number 1 player who was the no 1 ranked player in the whole of GKN . I will never forget the match, I totally thrashed him, it was just one of this days I simply could not miss a pocket fond memories. I did work in the Nut shop that was were they made the new Aerotite Locking Nuts that you can still buy today. I found all production shops very repetitive , hence why I moved into machine new builds and later development. Married at 19 Once qualified at the age of 21 I left and joined a company called Steatite & Porcelain at Stourport On Severn still working in development but in ceramics totally totally different. The reason for the move we bought our first house at Bewdley just 3 miles away at the age of 21. I cannot place Malcolm Law or Mick Bates. I have never ever regretted my apprentirship as an engineer, it has made me a very practical person I can turn my hand to any job, I even built my own brand New house at Clent, My motto in life is their is only one way to do a job and that is the correct way and first time. I retired at 58 on health grounds

Keep thinking back Bob

Take care

Happy Christmas

Derek Biggs

Now living at Hartlebury in Worcestershire, with my second wife Mary we have been together 17 years, I was married to my first wife for 32 years.

Take care

Derek

Malcolm Laws dad was foreman of Heath Street Mill & then he worked in the same shop as his Dad. Malcolm Pullen I last saw about 12 years ago working as a fitter at Lucas Holfords in Perry Barr. I worked for GKN S & F firstly in the Central Technical office & then in Dynaflow, I was there from 1968 until 1975, I also played football for them for a number of years. We had a good side then in the premier div. of the Works league. Happy Days.

Hi
I worked in the Central Technical office for 9 months, along with 2 other apprentices.
We did a complete fastener analysis on a brand new Land Rover series 2a SWB. really enjoyed that job. Dynaflow my mind is a blank was that the Tubular Push Rods? Or was that were the Malmeady machines were. Cold forging up to 1inch cap screws. I wish I could trace Malcolm Pullen he may be able to help me find Geoff of Jeoff Southall, I was apprenticed under Geoff for my last 12 months in the Erecting Shop at the Grove lane side, a lot of good rubbed off him on to me, he was a brilliant engineer a perfectionist. Happy days

I don't think you were in the CTO but the Methods dept. What years were you there? Dynaflow was the high tech forging depot with Raycarl M/cs. After leaving GKN I went to the company which sold Malmedie M/cs.
Do you not remember Ray Beaman & Billy Jordan?
Who were the other apprentices in your year?
Cheers. Dave

I don't think you were in the CTO but the Methods dept. What years were you there? Dynaflow was the high tech forging depot with Raycarl M/cs. After leaving GKN I went to the company which sold Malmedie M/cs.
Do you not remember Ray Beaman & Billy Jordan?
Who were the other apprentices in your year?
Cheers. Dave

The technical department I worked in was at the very back of the site, on the same road on the right as you drove away from the Technical department was the Top secret place were they made Tanks.

Yes remember big Ray Beaman he worked in the Erecting shop at the same time as I did,do you have any contact with Ray?. Bill Jordon work in the erecting shop at the same time as I did, he took over as works convenor He used to spend all of his lunch break reading books on Union law, very nice and helpful chap. I cannot remember any other apprentice names at the moment, we all got split up round the factory. Les Earp was the foreman in the erecting shop. The job then went to a Roy ? really helpful chap. Derek Evans work in the erecting shop he was a very good friend of Geoff Southwell they used to play golf together at Brandhall Golf Club. It is quite funny really, mine and Geoffs work benches were placed along the back wall , which had an entrance door into the shop from outside. People would come in and ask can you please tell us were I can find Les Earp the foreman, in reply we would say that is his office just over to the side, but you will have to really shout at him he is stone deaf. They would go over to him and we would just wait and watch, we must of done that 50 times. It never failed. Les Earp son David worked in the erecting shop, on the wood screw cutting machine side, very nice chap.

Will keep thinking

As a point of interest did you know St Georges Mill had the most number of machines under 1 roof in the whole of the world, that was a fact I was given to pass on when doing my works guided tours, true or false I would have said True, very very noisy.

Derek

My father Eric Johnson who sadly passed away in 1999 worked for GKN Screws and Fasteners for approx 41 years before retiring at the age of 55 . He was Chief Instructor for the Heath street/St Georges site when he retired. He spent 12 months in India just before I was born and then after returning to the UK served another 6 months service in Pakistan - training raw employees in tool setting etc. He was good friends with the likes of Len Price etc. He was also Shop steward for the White collar workers union at the time. My Uncle Ray Johnson also worked there as a tool setter IIRC. My mother who is now 90 lost a finger working at GKN when she was 14-15 at the commencement of ww11 and Joe Harris took her to Hospital. Me... well ... how Terry Ryder and Arthur Jacobs et-al never sacked me I will never know... I was a tear away sheetmetalworker based in site services who after completing my apprenticeship went on to build what is now one of the most highly regarded architectural metalwork companies in the UK.... All thanks to the handing down of skills and training this once great establishment provided.

Best Regards Ian Johnson

Last edited:
Welcome Ian. GKN certainly was in the blood then! Thanks for posting. And enjoy the forum. Viv.

My father Eric Johnson who sadly passed away in 1999 worked for GKN Screws and Fasteners for approx 41 years before retiring at the age of 55 . He was Chief Instructor for the Heath street/St Georges site when he retired. He spent 12 months in India just before I was born and then after returning to the UK served another 6 months service in Pakistan - training raw employees in tool setting etc. He was good friends with the likes of Len Price etc. He was also Shop steward for the White collar workers union at the time. My Uncle Ray Johnson also worked there as a tool setter IIRC. My mother who is now 90 lost a finger working at GKN when she was 14-15 at the commencement of ww11 and Joe Harris took her to Hospital. Me... well ... how Terry Ryder and Arthur Jacobs et-al never sacked me I will never know... I was a tear away sheetmetalworker based in site services who after completing my apprenticeship went on to build what is now one of the most highly regarded architectural metalwork companies in the UK.... All thanks to the handing down of skills and training this once great establishment provided.

Best Regards Ian Johnson
You certainly deserve to be proud of both your parents and especially yourself.

Norman Wimbush worked as a clerk at Nettlefolds for six years in the 1890s. He wrote a memoir including a chapter describing his time there. It will be published soon. If anyone would like more details of what he wrote about Nettlefolds let me know.

Back