• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nelson and Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
In the 1856 biography of the philantropist George Mogridge ("His Life, Character and Writings" by Rev. Charles Williams) an account is recorded about Nelson's visit to Birmingham. There's a touching story of the effect the visit had on one man named Hewson. It starts :

"There was great excitement when "the hero of the Nile" ......... arrived on a visit to Birmingham" .........

View attachment 82591
View attachment 82592

Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351937120.118341.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351937120.118341.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351937141.086252.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351937141.086252.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Great reading Viv, from a time when to be English, was to be among the greatest on earth, especially when led by hero's such as Nelson, now look what we have become, even unable to mention our heritage on offical forms.
paul

Hi Paul. You might also enjoy this account of Lord Nelson's visit to Birmingham ( I think in 1802). It's from "The life of the Right Honourable Horatio Lord Viscount Nelson" by Mr Harrison in 1806. What is interesting is how many places he and Lady Hamilton visited in their short time in Birmingham. They stayed at Styles's Hotel - think this would have been Temple Row - and they even visited Mr Boulton in his sickbed! Also interesting is the number of titles conferred on him on the front cover of Harrison's book. I think the description he gives of the visit clearly shows how respected Nelson was, almost to the point of frenzy. Lots of bell ringing and celebration. Must have been very exciting. Viv.

View attachment 82593

View attachment 82594

View attachment 82595

View attachment 82596

View attachment 82597

Theres a Birmingham Civic Society plaque to commemorate Nelson's Birmingham visit in 1802 accompanied by Emma and Sir William Hamilton.

View attachment 94433

On this occasion he stood in the main street and drank a toast: "Success to the town and trade of Birmingham and prosperity to its inhabitants". I get a sense that he certainly valued the industry of Birmingham. And there was clearly adoration for him; his visit sounds similar to a royal visit:

"They visited the makers of buttons and buckles, swords & whips, japanned ware & pins, sash window frames and stained glass. They went to The Theatre Royal, to Birmingham’s first museum on New Street and the Blue Coat Charity school" (Source https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2013/november/06/131106-foward-march )

They visited the Soho Manufactory. Matthew Boulton, a long time friend of Sir William, was ill at the time so they visited his bedside. They must therefore have also visited Soho House in Handsworth.

Emma Hamilton touchingly wrote after the visit "I will never forget Birmingham and it's dear, dear people"

Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413965412.394037.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413965412.394037.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
More about the 1802 visit and reference to Edward Gill's book for those interested.

Screenshot_20240111_094459_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Back