• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mystery Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marek Soszynski

I found this composite photo in a charity shop in Sutton Coldfield. It's marked March 1984. All the signage seem to have been removed from the building as if it was about to be demolished. But what and where was the building?

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 124
I have seen these photos (on here?) before. I don't think it's in Sutton and it's not Chateau Impney. edit to add:- There are two more photos in this composite - go to http://www.suttonchess.btck.co.uk/NotChess. I have googled images of hospitals, asylums, boarding schools, hotels, listed property etc & I can't see anything!

Last edited:
Hi curly
you are quite correct its not the Chateau Impney i live right by it theres is no resembleness how old is the photo but as far as i know the chatea as done the motor shows and rallys from early years of at least 190OS

My guess ... looking at the images I get the impression it could be a hospital on a main road.

Pic 1 shows two conservatory areas with wheelchair ramps to central doors.
1xImg_1009.jpg

Pic 2 shows a building in the distance on the right with maybe a liftshaft tower and two or three floors ... carpark ?
2xImg_1011.jpg

Pic 3 shows a bus shelter and a large road sign maybe for the hospital.
3xImg_1013.jpg

Pic 4 possible entrance to the hospital ... looks like a cable reel on the left maybe ..
4xImg_1006.jpg
High brick chimneys in the pics.

I thought a sanatorium. Wherever it is it is close the the (a) city, on a bus route and road widening taking place. The place seems to be undergoing renovation and looks to be on high ground.

I think you are correct Curly ...:)
The building also does seem to be on high ground as Radiorails mentioned.

Last edited:
Lots of ventilation in the roof and maybe the modern extensions with blue panels are solariums - so I agree with Alan, maybe a sanatorium for convalescence. The modern blue panels have a mid-1900s hospital look about them. Viv.

agree viv....oh i like your christmas avatar...time to get into the spirit:)

lyn

On the right of one pic it almost looks like a retail park or an industrial park. Large factory type chimneys in the pic.
4xImg_1013.jpg

The building on the right in the town looks almost like a multi-storey car park with a central lift shaft and also another large chimney in the pic.
2yxImg_1011.jpg

pics 3 and 4 post 6 phil...looks a bit like hills in the background..mind you that is through my eyes lol

lyn

Hi Lyn, I have the feeling that this will one of those 'where is its?' which will get away from us. We did quite well with the 'unidentified bomb damage' pics and I still occasionally have a look at the aircraft being transported along an unknown street in a pic taken by a local photographer .... without success ...:)

Phil

yes i agree phil...funnily enough i was going through my photo files last week and up popped that aircraft one....never mind we cant win em all and it helps keep the grey matter alert:rolleyes:

lyn

It seems to me that there is a good chance these places still exist. Bus stop markings on roadways are not that old, new looking railings and a reasonably clean and up to date road direction sign, together with the likely renovation of the place.
I would hazard guess that it is still in use a some form of hospital. I also think it is on a major road.

The road is obviously on the side of a steep hill as the drop from one side of the road to the footpath on the other side of the hedge behind the bus stop is quite dramatic. The road is also a clearway as demonstrated by the no stopping sign and it is also a bus route which would most likely indicate it is a main road.

What this boils down to is that I haven't a clue where it is.

Just a thought, but as it was bought in Sutton Coldfield, the photo could be of anywhere in the country really, Is there anything written on the back of it Marek ?

Can’t we deduce anything from the street lights ? Was this style of lamp favoured by any particular local councils ? Viv.

My guess would be that this isn't Brum, especially as it appears relatively resent and the landscape doesn't reflect any part of Birmingham that I know, and such a large building.
As far as the aircraft being transported through Brum, this also is probably not Birmingham as I have a reasonable knowledge of all things aviation, and I cannot recall this type of aircraft ever being roaded through the city. Its either a Vickers Varsity or Valetta.
What also strengthens my belief that this is some other place is the fact that so far they've beaten the brains of are very knowledgeable forumites.

The 4th pic in post#5 shows what appear to be two tall metal chimneys, one to the left of the bungalow type building and the other to the right, but not much use as visual clues.
The lorry in the pic is bright yellow, so all we have to do is find some builder's company using yellow lorries in the 1980s ...:grinning:
The lorry behind also looks yellow when the pic saturation is increased.
BT had yellow vehicles in the 1980s but did they have lorries looking like the one in the pic?
I notice two pillars on the front wall have elaborate looking cap stones.

I think that's the sort of grand building that the Victorians built as workhouses many of which were later turned into hospitals...…………………………...anyone for a workhouse search?:)

I've also had a good look at sanatoriums, hospitals, almshouses, workhouses, and religious colleges in all the surrounding counties, but did not see anything.

Hi Guys
Ihave been spending time on this thread today it sure his a hard nut to crack for christmas i have been trying to zoom in on the walls of what appears to be a religious figure thats a possiblitity i say to myself
Its clearly where the lorries are i presume its an entrance to the building looking at the first couple of shots i do not see any entrance and i think a lot of convents used to have a statue or figure on there very first entrance way in i may be wrong bot i have set my self a changlence to crack this one there again i may not but also if i am not wrong to me on the front windows there appears to me letters that what i think i am seeing but cannot make out the letters Alan

I've spent a couple of hours on this today, it's hard to believe that a grand building like this with so many ornate features cannot be found on google. There were some similar features on the workhouse in Sunderland but in many respects the unknown building is a lot more ornate. I've checked asylums, workhouses, convalescent homes, schools, hospitals and prisons, all to no avail. As suggested there is a typical 70s multi-storey car park in the distance (probably demolished by now).
I will be super impressed if or when this is solved. John

is it most likely my eyes or a trick of the camera but in photo 2 post 1 it looks like there is a pram parked up which led me to think maybe a home for unmarried mothers but then the date of 1984 and the building being so large i doubt it..just me thinking outside the box:rolleyes:

lyn

Last edited:
In the Victorian and first thirty years roughly many hospitals were built of red brick I know of four, at least in South Devon and I am sure that those of you searching the web have probably seen many all over the UK.
The bus stop is marked on the roadway and I think the shelter looks like it has been removed as was the actual bus stop pole and plate. Had the bus stop sign been there it could have given a positive clue if the building was/is in Brum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back