• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Municipal Ward Maps 1861

embeeUSA

Wondering if there are any maps of where municipal wards were located in 1861 census? Trying to figure out how close 7 Court Hampton St and 7 Court Great Hampton St were to each other? Different wards in 1861 census. Both in Ecclesiastical District of St. George. Hampton St is listed as in Municipal Ward of Hampton; Great Hampton St is listed as in the Municipal Ward of St. George. I know from current maps the 2 streets are close to each other, but I'm trying to figure out whether 2 people were neighbors or lived further apart. Thank you, embee

Cannot help with your original question, but can give you an idea of the distance. The map below from 1901 only shows part of court 7 Gt Hampton St in red, but have labelled it. Court 7 Hampton st had been demolished by the time of accurate maps available now (mid 1880s), but we can say that it was in the region of the purple strip marked on the map.

map 1902 showing position of ct 7 in Gt Hampton st and ct 7 Hampton st.jpg

Thanks - that is helpful. So - they could haven neighbors. One was an informant on a death, and, as they were both born Ireland I thought it might be a familial connection. But - maybe just neighbors. The odd thing is the man who died had 10 children and a wife, so it was odd to see someone else present at death. Thanks again!

Back