• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Monumental Inscriptions For St Peter And St Paul Aston

I have traced most of my family history and found several generations have been Baptised Married and Buried at St Peter and St Paul Aston. Their names are not on the published list of readable head stones. I have thought that if I visit the church yard and can see the odd grave stone with similar dates that my ancestor may be near by. Would I be wasting my time? The dates I am interested in are 1782 /1818 -- 1827/1854 -- 1879/1883 and 1911. Any advice please.

I would contact the church as it may well be that either there were no gravestones (very common years ago because of the cost) or that the stones may have collapsed and been removed on heath and safety grounds. The church may also have a graveyard plan and be able to tell you where the grave was.

Janice

Would I be wasting my time?
Yes!
Graves in front of the church are few now. many headstones have been used for paths, or lining the sides of the pathway, often broken, some barely legible now.
The churchyard to rear was an overgrown brambley jungle the last few time I visited. The garden of remembrance is tidy'ish, but the rest needs a machete & weedkiller to access and as is usual with churches, graves are not in any sort of date order, being reused many times over the years.
However, a visit on a sunny day is pleasant, and if you happen to hack at some weds or brambles it wouldn't hurt!
There used to be a partial listing of recorded headstones in the churchyard in the Birmingham Library, but I think it was compiled in the 1930's or thereabouts?
Brian

Hi pjm
Yes I think they all have one I know at Yardley they do because I went there area years sgo in search of my grand parents
Whom was first hurried there in 1953 and in the 1970 my grand father was buried there
I went along and asked where they could be they gave me a map and p.of number on paper I still have that map
So I presume they will but I think you will have to go some where else in the case of key hill perhaps Brian or Wendy will confirm
If they see your thread best wishes as to astonian

I agree with Brian my gt grandparents were buried at St Peter and St Paul. Arthur Yates died 1895 and his wife Eliza Yates nee Howell 1926. They were not poor so would imagine there was once a headstone. There is nothing there now not even the location of the burial. Very sad.

Whilst I was a St Peters & St Pauls at Aston Heritage open day in June, people were coming in to enquire about Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, They were all advised to visit Birmingham Archives.
Over the years there have been alterations to the church, the present chapel was built in 1879 when the church was enlarged.
I wonder if it is possible that some graves may have been removed for the alterations and extensions ?

Sadly, Church graves are often moved, not only for building, but for making more space. After a century or so, they get pretty full, and often area's are 'cleared' - headstones afre removed to outer walls, remains are collected and reburied in a small corner plot somewhere - They would never last 800 years without doing so.

Brian

Back