• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Minchin family, Garrison Lane.

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
My minchin family mainly lived in Garrison Lane and area. George and Mary Ann Minchin married 1839 and had a number
of children, My main interest lies in CHARLES MINCHIN b 1852. Charles married Catherine Ward in 1872.
Are there any other " Minchin-researchers" out there ???
Regards, Margaret.

No family ties Margaret, but my mom had a friend called Elsie Minchin who married Alf Drury a coal merchant. The lived in a road off Station Road at the back of the Villa ground in the 1940's.

Hi I am wondering if your mothers friend Elsie Minchin had a brother leonard who married Gertrude May Sims in 1939? There was a younger brother James also and maybe others. - I am trying to find the child of Leonard and Gertrude for my cousins in Australia who would be her/his stepsisters. Any help appreciated. Angela.

Hi my name is Rita Cocker (Minchin) My dad's name was Leonard born in 1917 and my mum was Phoebe (Preen). My dad had two brothers Horace and James and a sister Ivy. I'm looking for anyone who might be related to me. :)

This is my first message to the Forum so I hope it gets through.

In the 1930's I lived next door to an elderly couple, Mr and Mrs Minchin. They were at 42, Carlton Road, off Bordesley Green and very near to Garrison Lane. Sorry I did not know their christian names. Their married daughter lived with them with her husband and children. They were named Rickard.

Old Boy.

Hello Old Boy,

Thanks to Lloyd on this site I can now tell you that it was Arthur & Emily Jane Minchin, and Eva Elizabeth & William Thomas Rickard that were living at 42 Carlton Road in the 1930's. I will now be kept busy double checking to see if these families are connected to my family tree.

Thanks for your info,
Margaret.

Hi Skylark
I lived in Garrison Street as a child can only remember a Eric Butler.We used to play in the court at the rear of our back to back.I was Ken Maynard, Eric was Buck Rogers (or was that vice-versa? This was sometime in the mid to late 1930's. My mother used to work at Wrights Ropes just down the road.
My family name is Green.:)

Last edited:
Margaret,
My grandfather was George Minchin who was Killed in Action on the Somme in 1916 I belive his father was Charles Minchin who was born /married in Aston. My Grandfather with his wife Mabel lived in Ada Road I have more information at home I shall be returning there in November and would be happy to supply further information to you if required.
Regards.

Mel Perri

Re: Minchin family Garrison Lane.
Sorry about mistake in last message i.e. should be Garrison St not Garrison Lane (which runs parallel).
Names from this area:- Marklew, Irving,Collins,Harris,Village and Green.
Sorry for mistake, now rectified.
lesg128

Re: Minchin family Garrison Lane.
Sorry about mistake in last message i.e. should be Garrison St not Garrison Lane (which runs parallel).
Names from this area:- Marklew, Irving,Collins,Harris,Village and Green.
Sorry for mistake, now rectified.
lesg128

Hi, Yes I would be most grateful for more information, many thanks. Angela

Dear Mel,

Thanks for replying to my thread, yes I would be most gratefl for any information that you have. Regards Angela

Hi my name is Rita Cocker (Minchin) My dad's name was Leonard born in 1917 and my mum was Phoebe (Preen). My dad had two brothers Horace and James and a sister Ivy. I'm looking for anyone who might be related to me. :)

Hi Rita did your family emigrate to Australia in the early 1970s from Dearman Road, Sparkbrook, and if so did you have an older sister called Dierdre, who was my friend?

Unfortunately I am new to the forum and not very good at retrieving messages, I've lost a reply from someone already, so if you do reply please be patient.

Hi Yes my family did go to Australia in the early 1970s from Dearman Road sparkbrook and I do have an older sister called Dierdre, can you let me have your name and I will pass on your message and maybe she can join the forum and chat.

Hi Rita I did reply via the Forum sending me an email, if you didn't get it let me know and I will try again, as I have not got the hang of using the forum properly. I used to live at 82 White Road, and your sister used to call for me on the way to school before we moved from there about 1968 because they were knocking all the houses down in our part of the road. Give Dierdre my best wishes, and tell her I did get one postcard from her, but nothing else and no address,
Thanks,
Chris

Hi it's Chris, I tried to reply about my friend Dierdre, but not sure if you received it. Not got the hang of using the forum yet, so if you can contact me again, I will try to get in touch, Thanks, Chris, (Tell Dierdre I used to live in White Road) Thanks Rita

My maiden name was Minchin. My grandfather owned a business on Cape Hill, Smethwick. It was opposite the main gates of the Mitchells and Butlers Brewery. My grandfather's family were from Gloucestershire, but he moved to Birmingham to find work after the Great War. He met and married my grandmother whose family were from Aston.

HI C. SMITH ;
I have just been reading the threads on the minchin family and it gave me a slight indication of possible intrest in these name
of particular yours . and of the minchin family
the fact of meaning to my mind firstly smith ; of spark brook and of being of white rd ; this may be personal question you do not have to say yes or no ; but would you be of any relatives to a robert smith of white rd way back in the fifties as he was an old friend of mine and i would certainly like to make contact with him i used to go to his house alot and it was at the top end of the street as i recall from my memory now forty fiftys years back
then secondly we had a minchin family whom are well known out here in worcestershire in fact its a generation whom ran the hardware and builders yard and shop combined it was a big bussines out here it was a family affair you name it they sold it and i beleive they orinated from birmingham there family bussiness closed down for retirement reasons and they are certainly missed by the people for there bussiness for supplys they moved out to droitwich which was where there huge shop was on the high street also there is another member of minchin whom is a serving police officer with in the small commutity of droitwich ;
and as to reading your bit about being a bussiness family i wondered whether or not you are related in to any of my request of the names i have mentioniond
but i would dearly love4 to know if you was related to a robert smith of white rd many thanks Astonian;;

Hi Astonian, I am very sorry, but Smith is my married name. Are you sure Robert Smith lived in White Road? I did know a Christine Smith who lived further down the road but I cannot remember if she had any brothers. My brother in law lived in Gladstone Road Sparkbrook (not far from White Road) and his name is Robert Smith, he is the eldest with two brothers. They lived in Gladstone Road then Woodstock Road off Ladypool Road. If you have questions, please let me know.

My friend Deirdre Minchin lived in Dearman Road. She emigrated 1970 to Australia with her family, a few months ago I finally traced her, I will mention your query to her and if there is any connection I will let you know. I am sorry I cannot be of any more use, if I can help, let me know, best wishes, Chris

Good morning chris ;
Many thanks for coming back to me on this the more i think about it i think it was gladstone rd now
but it as been some years since i was down that way but i am sure its sounds like robert we are speaking about
the last time i seen and vistit his house was in the period of 1959 i am trying to think of his fathers name and yes i do beleive it was christine
whom was his sister ;
i shall be going to brum today so i will do a detour through to spark brook and hope fully the road his still there along withe houses that used to be
there and then at some point of today later i ill come back to you on this ;
my neibour dennis knows alot about the minchin family that was from here that ran the bussiness he also was from spark brook as a child
as i have said they are well known and they fpolded there bussines for retirement about afew year back now and they are truly missed from the area ; for there bussines and friends
As i am tapping away the name of christine is running through my head and yes i am sure we are on about my dear old friend robert
chris ; many thanks again for coming back i will definately come back to you by this evening ;have a nice day ; i know i will because the mrs
is going to weston supermare for the day there is two coach loads of them they are going to do a diplay of line dancing to the public in weston
they are the weston bootleggers they are run by the british champion of line daners he his the leading chory in the field through out the country ;
best wishes Astonian;;

Hi astonian, if it is Robert Smith from Gladstone Road the number was 104 if that is of any help. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, Best wishes Chris

My minchin family mainly lived in Garrison Lane and area. George and Mary Ann Minchin married 1839 and had a number
of children, My main interest lies in CHARLES MINCHIN b 1852. Charles married Catherine Ward in 1872.
Are there any other " Minchin-researchers" out there ???
Regards, Margaret.

I am a descendent of the minchin family of garrison lane. I have taken my dad to the memorials and have visited the few graves of the greens and the minchins. My dad had done a lot of research on his family tree, so if you are still searching for answers ...

Back