• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Milton Street

Cheer's Alf, I like those Maps. There wouldn't be a picture of Theodore street out there somewhere, "Would there"? Reg.

Lyn (Astoness) is the picture King reg There is a couple of photos of the Stork Pub on the Forum but I can't find them, but someone will I'm sure

This is a Cowper Street photo of myself taken about 1946

Can a kind member have a go at sorting this photo out please

View attachment 38780

Last edited:
lol reg...you may call me what you want...ok i will hunt the stork out for you...

lyn

Ah Lyn, I wouldn't dream of calling you something you're not. My parents would turn in their graves. I think we've been brought up with parents with Victorian Values. Reg,

Lyn (Astoness) is the picture King reg There is a couple of photos of the Stork Pub on the Forum but I can't find them, but someone will I'm sure

This is a Cowper Street photo of myself taken about 1946

Can a kind member have a go at sorting this photo out please

View attachment 38780
Good looking chap, just like me.!!

cant beat the good old fashioned values reg...by the way the stork pub..would that be the one on heathfield road and finch road...

Just had another flashback!! I don't think this old brain of mine can take much more of this. Anyway, My Dad and his drivers mate came home in their truck for a dinner break, I think I was about 5 or 7 years old at the time. they parked the truck outside the house and usual I sat in the cab playing as little boy's do. But this was a slightly bigger toy, I noticed a button on the floor and pulled it. WOW!! I'd only started it up hadn't I.

Mom and Dad told about this some years ago, Mom said, the site of him and his mate trying to get out of our front door at the same time was like something out of a Laurel and Hardy film.

hi alf...just seen that school pic of yourself....thanks for posting it...i am also sure there are one or two pics of the stork pub somewhere on the forum but so far i cant track em down...

lyn

Because a lot of pictures disappeared off the site with the change over, i am not sure if this picture of Milton St has been on before.Moss

Milton%20Street%2CNe%26%23119.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Lyn. Got our wires crossed there somewhere.? I lived in 41 Milton Street after my Grt Grandparents died there. Mom and Dad took over the house after that, we lived there from 1955 to 1964.
hi again michael. just been talking to my friend and it wasnt he who lived at 41 milton st it was his gt gt grandmother. second name was wyton he cant remember her 1st name. he was born in high street. wales

Yes you're right Alf. went there as apprentice mechanic after leaving school.
Thank you Chris thats the first Photo I posted on the Forum, The Barber is next door and the Pub Red Lion where Mom would drag Dad out most nights.

I'm sure the Garage moved to the Corner of Summer Lane & New John Street if I'm wrong tell me

Hi there, sorry this is a few years late but I was wondering about the picture you have of Milton Street. I cannot see it and wondered if it came out. Cannot find pictures of this street anywhere and only asking as my great great grandparents were living there in 1900.
Thanks,
Mark.

We seem to have lost all the pictures of Milton Street, if anybody has copies could you post them, thank-you.

I have replaced some pictures that were lost. I am pretty sure they are the originals as the dates I acquired them correspond.

thanks mike yes most of those are the ones i posted...got them from the library but will check my files to see if there are anymore and will post if there is

lyn

I had trouble trying to work out the location of this, just a simple shed (next to the pub) solved the problem.

Attachments

• summe-rlane-milton-st.jpg
    summe-rlane-milton-st.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 19
These pictures are of Nos. 1/30a, 3/32 & 2/32 Milton Street are from 1962. The children are standing in front of No. 2/32.
In 1955 the Swann family lived there, I can't find Milton Street on the 1960s. electoral register, can anybody help please.

Attachments

• milton-st8.jpg
    milton-st8.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for uploading the photographs of Milton Street. I have a query that perhaps the forum can help me with. According to my grandparents marriage certificate dated 1937, my grandfather Frank Herbert Wood lived at number 72 Milton Street. The marriage certificate also shows Frank Wood (deceased) as being Frank Herbert's father. After a lengthy search on various websites, I still cannot identify with certainty the names of Frank Herbert’s parents. Would anyone on the forum have information regarding the family that lived at number 72? Many thanks, Michelle

Thank you for uploading the photographs of Milton Street. I have a query that perhaps the forum can help me with. According to my grandparents marriage certificate dated 1937, my grandfather Frank Herbert Wood lived at number 72 Milton Street. The marriage certificate also shows Frank Wood (deceased) as being Frank Herbert's father. After a lengthy search on various websites, I still cannot identify with certainty the names of Frank Herbert’s parents. Would anyone on the forum have information regarding the family that lived at number 72? Many thanks, Michelle

It's possible that he was just a boarder/lodger for a short period, especially if he wasn't from Bham, and consequently there will be no connection with the occupants.

There appear to be some trees on Ancestry that suggest he was Scottish and there does appear to be a possible corresponding birth registration for a Frank Herbert Wood in Morningside. Not a lot of details available but there is no mmn listed, not sure if that means he was illegitimate and his father's name possible false or something else. I'm not sure if Scottish birth registrations are the same as English.

It's possible that he was just a boarder/lodger for a short period, especially if he wasn't from Bham, and consequently there will be no connection with the occupants.

There appear to be some trees on Ancestry that suggest he was Scottish and there does appear to be a possible corresponding birth registration for a Frank Herbert Wood in Morningside. Not a lot of details available but there is no mmn listed, not sure if that means he was illegitimate and his father's name possible false or something else. I'm not sure if Scottish birth registrations are the same as English.
Many, Many thanks, this is a new path to follow. Michelle

Back