• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Meakin

B

Bernard Myers

Does anybody know the Meakin family who lived on the old parade and had a green grocers shop in six ways Aston opposite the house that Jack built store.
My mother was Maud Meakin and I know she had a sister called Elsie.
Can anyone help?

Re: Surmane:- Meakin

Hi Bernard, welcome to the Forum, there was a Jesse Meakin who had a greengrocers shop in Newtown Row, next to Newtown Garage and next door but one to the old market hall, then there was the post office on the corner of Asylum Road. He was definitely there in the 1950s and 1960s.

Hello Sylvia,
Thank you for that information, I do recall a Jesse which was my auntie, my mother also had 2 brothers which i believe were boxers in the 1940's.
I vagely remember them from my sunday school days fifty odd years ago the sunday school was held somewhere along the parade.
Many rhanks
Bernard.

Could these be your family?
This was the only Meakin/Tullett marriage I could find between 1900 and 1930:
Marriages Sep 1900
Meakin Charles Edward Birmingham 6d269
Tullett Rosina Birmingham 6d269
There could be more children, but mother's maiden name was not recorded till after 1911
Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1911 [/SIZE]
Meakin Jesse Birmingham 6d13
Births Mar 1913
Meakin... Alfred .........Tullett Birmingham 6d317
Births Mar 1915
MEAKIN... Maud K ......Tullett Birmingham 6d601
Births Jun 1920
Meakin... Elsie A ........Tullett Birmingham 6d629

Last edited:
Surname: Meakin

hi pomgolian
thank you for that information it looks promising as i do remember an old photograph above the fireplace when i was a child it was my grandfather in army uniform which i think was taken during the boer war and at the bottom of the photograph was written the name charles

many thanks,
bernie

1901 4 bk 33 Blythe Street,Ladywood
Charles E Meakin age 20 Brass polisher
Rosina age 19
Charles E age 1
Hector A age 2 months
Charles E tullett age 26 brother in law Ir5on tube drawer

all born birmingham

Hi Bernard, Jesse was a man, I remember his shop quite well, late on Saturday afternoons he would stand on a soapbox wearing a stove pipe hat selling off his stock, I have to tell you that his chickens looked dreadful most of them were going off, I never bought anything off him, but obviously people did as he was quite successful, I'm told he lived in Great Barr - Pheasey area, his son whose name I don't know took over when he either retired or died.

hi pomgolian
thank you very much for that information which confirms my family, my mother was maud kathleen meakin who then married frank myers sadly she died in 1966 aged 51 years my father died in 1971 aged 57 years he was of irish descent a place called rafarnum hence there were nine children we all lived in ryder street birmingham 4
many thanks for your info bernard.

hi sylviasayers
thank you for the info but not actually meeting him only hearing the name as a young child i was not sure whether it was aunt or uncle but with all the information kindly found for me i know you have found my uncle having said that i think i will continue to get my chickens from sainsbury's

many thanks bernie

hi alberta

many thanks for your research in tracing the meakin family your info is most informative considering a few days ago i knew nothing at all about them

kindest regards bernie

Couldn't find Charles E (Jr) so I did a Phonetic search on surname (Meakin) , but there was still no Charles E Meakin that fitted the age of 1 yrs in 1901... Also looked under Ephraim Charles(Granddad's name). So looked under Tullett and came up with this one...
Births Mar 1900
Tullett Charles Edward Birmingham 6d169
Births Mar 1901
Meakin Hector Alfred Birmingham 6d34

!891 Census
Civil Parish: Ladywood
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Barnabas
Address: 3 Bk 32 Grosvenor St W

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
TULLETT Ephraim Head M M 40 Carpenter(Notem) Warwickshire - Birmingham
TULLETT Sarah A Wife M F 35 Warwickshire - Birmingham
TULLETT Chas Hy Son S M 18 Errand Boy(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
TULLETT Alfred Son - M 12 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
TULLETT Rosina Dau - F 10 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
COOPER Charles Adpted - M 15 Brass Founder(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham

Last edited:

1891 Census : Not 100% sure on this one, could be one or may be nither....

Civil Parish: Ladywood
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Barnabas
Address: 17 Glebe St

MECKIN William Head M M 60 Warwickshire - Birmingham
MECKIN Emma Wife M F 61 Warwickshire - Birmingham
MECKIN Charles Son S M 24 Axle Filer (Iron Works) Warwickshire - Birmingham
MECKIN Edgar Grnson - M 13 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MECKIN Charles Grnson - M 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham

Or this one

Civil Parish: Aston
Ecclesiastical Parish: Erdington
Address: 1 The Lindens

MACHIN George H Head W M 49 Farmer/regstr Of Brths(Em'er) Warwickshire - Erdington
MACHIN Charles G Son S M 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Erdington
MACHIN John E Son S M 2 - Warwickshire - Erdington
HART Susannah Servnt S F 46 Gnrl Srvnt Dom Warwickshire - Erdington

When Newtown Row market closed they opened a shop at Scott Arms....It may still be there.

hi pomgolian
thank you for the research you have done for me , i am at the stage now where i need to make a file but being very new to my laptop i will probably find that easier said than done at 59 i think i have left it a bit late for all this technology
kindest regards bernie .

hi leonardjob
thank you for your info , i will take a drive out there and have a look i may have some luck
bernie

I recall that our Aston rent man was a Mr Meakin in the early 1960's

Col, reading your post reminded me that we had a insurance man from Royal London who used to collect the premiums weekly, he was named Mr.Meakin, don't know his christian name.

Same man Sylvia (our Mr Meakin worked for Royal London and I cant remember his first name either - Mum and Dad just referred to him as Mr Meakin)

Does anybody know the Meakin family who lived on the old parade and had a green grocers shop in six ways Aston opposite the house that Jack built store.
My mother was Maud Meakin and I know she had a sister called Elsie.
Can anyone help?
Your mother was Maud and father was Frank. Who was the son of Frank and you had a brother named Frank. Maud Kathleen Myers formerly Meakin was my mother’s Nan.

Back