• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mclaren Patrick of Ladywood

Ok, apart from John who you've mentioned do you know the names of any other siblings - Maureen, James, Patricia, Doreen, Lynda or Barry maybe?

Ok, apart from John who you've mentioned do you know the names of any other siblings - Maureen, James, Patricia, Doreen, Lynda or Barry maybe?
I know of Maureen and Patricia yes. Any others I never met them/maybe they had already passed away. I think some of the family ended up moving to Manchester, which is also why I maybe never knew of them. I believe the parents were born in Northern Ireland but again this isn’t confirmed information I have!

Just been chatting with my mum, she said there was also a brother named Terry. Never heard of a brother called James though.

I have a possibility but I can't say I'm totally certain.

The birth and death registrations don't match exactly for your father but it could be explained by his parents marrying after he was born and then registering him.

I think his parents may have been Terence Mclaren and Lily Divers or Davers. They married in 1940, though they are listed as married on the 1939 register living in Sherlock St.

Terence and Lily don't appear to have been born in England so that could match your info but I can't see a brother, Terence.

I have a possibility but I can't say I'm totally certain.

The birth and death registrations don't match exactly for your father but it could be explained by his parents marrying after he was born and then registering him.

I think his parents may have been Terence Mclaren and Lily Divers or Davers. They married in 1940, though they are listed as married on the 1939 register living in Sherlock St.

Terence and Lily don't appear to have been born in England so that could match your info but I can't see a brother, Terence.
Sounds like you’ve definitely got the right family there as I am named after his mother. It’s nice to even have small bits of information like this as I haven’t been able to find anything myself. Thanks so much

Do you know if Patrick's dad is listed as Terence on your parents' marriage certificate?

If so then it appears that Lily had a sister Bridget who married an Andrew Campion. There's a possible report of Terence being assaulted in 1952.

Terence died in 1980 and Lily in 1987. At certain times they appear to be living at separate addresses on the ERs, Terence possibly with another woman.

Do you know if Patrick's dad is listed as Terence on your parents' marriage certificate?

If so then it appears that Lily had a sister Bridget who married an Andrew Campion. There's a possible report of Terence being assaulted in 1952.

Terence died in 1980 and Lily in 1987. At certain times they appear to be living at separate addresses on the ERs, Terence possibly with another woman.
Hi,

Yes it is Terence on their certificate.

My mom said the assault is a shock to her as this had not been mentioned before.

Interesting about her sister as we knew nothing of this, possibly a whole new family we knew nothing of there!!

My mom says that Lily was living in 59 St Marks Crescent in Ladywood when she died, which my dad had purchased for her. This is also the house I grew up in.

It would seem likely then that it is the correct Patrick then.

The assault was reported in August 1952, a Henry Joseph McGuigan pleaded guilty to maliciously wounding Terence and a Joseph Moran.

It lists an address in Alexandra St in connection with Terence and on the ERs Terence appears to be living in Alexandra St. However, Lily doesn't seem to be there with him but an Elizabeth Mclaren. What that means I don't know as there's not a lot you can tell from ERs.

Bridget appears to have had a number of children as well, possibly as many as 7.

Bridget married again in 1954 and had more children.

There also appears to be a newspaper report in 1968 that may relate to your dad. He jumped into the canal to try and save a child, who sadly died.

There also appears to be a newspaper report in 1968 that may relate to your dad. He jumped into the canal to try and save a child, who sadly died.
Oh wow yes I have heard this story before!

Do you know if there is a way of finding out more about my fathers parents?

Would you possibly be able to send me a picture or link to the newspaper report?

You mentioned Northern Ireland and I had a look but I couldn't see anything for them (or Bridget). Your first step may be to get Terence and Lily's marriage certificate but that'll cost about £10 and even then it won't tell you where they came from.

Sorry I am so new to this, I really appreciate how much you’ve been able to find. How would I go about paying for their marriage certificate?

Would you possibly be able to send me a picture or link to the newspaper report?

The newspaper article - Daily Post 22 Jul 1968 - is from findmypast and you need a subscription to see the full scan (which I don't have). Perhaps if another member sees this they may be able to help.

Sorry I am so new to this, I really appreciate how much you’ve been able to find. How would I go about paying for their marriage certificate?

It's not too difficult. You have to register with the GRO and then you can order through them, online or over the phone

Details you need are - names Maclaren Terence, Divers Lily - year 1940, quarter Jul Aug Sep, district Birmingham, volume number 6d, page number 1952.

Might have found the Divers.

Bridget's dob given at her death is 23 Aug 1920 and there is a matching birth for a Bridget Diver in Irvinestown, Fermanagh. Father James Diver, mother Mary Gallagher.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a Lily or a matching dob. However, there is an Elizabeth whose dob is one day different, not sure if that's relevant.

James Diver was a pedlar born in Fermanagh.

Last edited:
As far as I can see on the ERs that are available online Lily doesn't seem to appear with Terence on any of them. As mentioned at the same address as Terence in Alexandra St there is an Elizabeth Mclaren on some occasions,

So perhaps Lily is the Elizabeth Diver born in Irvinestown and Lily was a middle name not listed at birth or a name given at confirmation. That's just speculation though.

Hi everyone, just joined forum after seeing Patrick Maclarens name. He was my cousin. My mother was Bridget (Bridie or Biddy) Divers. l know a little about the family if that is any help.
Pat

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I think Lily would be interested in anything you can tell her.

If Patrick was your cousin then that would seem to confirm that Bridget and Lily were sisters?

Yes they were, we called her Lil. There was also a brother called John who lived in Brum other names were Tommy, Ellen (or Helen) others that l can t remember at the moment but there was a half brother called Frank Gallagher.
My mom was the youngest of the family and Lil brought her over to England and she stayed with her and Terry until she met her first husband. She was quite close to Lil and very fond of Patrick and his sister Joan more than the others.
Yes, her real name was Elizabeth.

Excellent, that confirms that the family came from Irvinestown and before that Castlederg.

I've found a birth or Frank (Francis) Gallagher, an illegitimate son of Mary, Bridget and Lily's mom.

There's quite a bit I can see for the Gallaghers, Mary's dad (Lily & Bridget's grandad) was in the army.

Last edited:
Excellent, that confirms that the family came from Irvinestown and before that Castlederg.

I've found a birth or Frank (Francis) Gallagher, an illegitimate son of Mary, Bridget and Lily's mom.

There's quite a bit I can see for the Gallaghers, Mary's dad (Lily & Bridget's grandad) was in the army.
Hello again l don t know any thing about the Gallaghers except that they were from Omagh.
l only met Frank twice but l know that he was definately in the army. l have just looked at my moms marraige certificate and it says that Patrick Divers was a farmer (1954) l know he died in either 1975/76. Mary died sometime in the 60's because Lil and my mom both went over for the funeral. Patricks sisters Joan & Linda came to my moms funeral in 1998
but Joan died a few years later as far as l am aware Linda is still alive my nieces are in touch with her daughter so may be able to contact her sometime over the weekend. Also l would be grateful for any info on the Gallagher None of the Divers could read or write & l remember writing to an address which l think was 7, Bridge St Irvinestown when they wanted to make contact.
Pat

the McLarens I know lived in holiday st their was Ian Barry John puddy I e James Malcom their father was from Scotland I believe PAT was Irish IAN was a renown fighter and Barry tough kids

Can I confirm the name of Lily's and Bridget's dad. You said Patrick Divers but I have his name as James.

sorry yes it was James but did think his middle name may have been Patrick might be wrong though, Also one of my sisters names was Mary Ester which l believe was after their mother so not sure if her middle name was Ester .

the only McLarens I knew were of Scottish decent I went to school with Jimmy his nickname was PUDDY osler st 1958 62 we played for the school football team we were a very good side

Back