• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

McEntyre, Frank

theodore

master brummie
Frank McEntyre b. 1888 son of Patrick and Kate McEntyre. Have 1891,1901 and 1911 census details. Believe he lived at Railway Street, West Bromwich (just before WW1 I believe) number unknown. Understand he took up cycle racing winning numerous prizes. Any information regarding the address in West Bromwich or details regards his cycle racing would be appreciated.
Regards
Peter

Is he the Frank McEntyre who was killed in 1914? If so his pension card \(on Fold3) might reveal an address.
1710883095638.png

Next of kin on war effects is Father Patrick.

Can't see anything apart from the report in the 1915 Bham Daily Post with the details you've given, which I assume you've seen.

He is mentioned in the Isle of Wight County Press as the winner of the 2 mile race open to the army.

Last edited:
Janice and MWS
Thank you for your replies.
Yes Frank was killed (in action 24.10.1914). I have his pension ledger info but address for his mother 16 ct. 4 house Hatchett Street, B'ham. Also have a paper report cutting but no details regards the paper it was printed in or date. What are the dates for both papers please? Was there any further info in the Isle of Wight County Press report? Any photo of Frank with either? Where did search for the above info?

Regards
Peter

If you hover over these it will give the paper and the date. This gives a different date for the death but both say "24th" so it may just be the month is wrong. I imagine a lot of confused info made its way back here.
Birmingham Daily Post - Wednesday 17 February 1915.JPGEvening Despatch - Tuesday 07 August 1917.JPG

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The Bham Daily Post article was the 17th Feb 1915.

The Isle of Wight County Press was the 6th May 1911. Doesn't appear to be anything more.

The Bham Daily Post report seems to also reported in the Sporting Life of London on the 18th Feb 1915.

All on findmypast.

Both these are from

Free to search and register (I think you get a few free pages) but to read articles you need to subscribe).
The search results depend on what you ask for. The two articles in the last post came up only under "McEntyre".

Just searching for Isle of Wight info which didn't come up in a search on Newspaper Archive.

Found it - thanks for the info MWS.
Isle of Wight County Press - Saturday 06 May 1911.JPG

There's also seems to be something in the Evening Despatch Bham on the 17th August 1917. The search results are quite garbled so can't really make out what it's about.

Back