• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maxfield

tonymaxfield

I don't know if this is the right place to put a post like this but here goes anyway!
The only photographic memory I have of my Dad's dad is a memorial in Keyhill cemetery. Thomas Henry Maxfield. He died soon after ww1 when my dad was 6 and I never saw him.. obs!
My dad said he was a sign writer and he worked for the new Hudson cycle company. Others in the family also worked on cycles.
They lived in Claremont Place, Brookfield Road and in Rosebery Street.
I have never seen any photos of what it looked like.
The family moved from Sheffield where they were cutlers to Birmingham around the mid nineteenth century. Some took jobs like electroplating.
If you have any pictures, photos or information to share I would love to know.
I know things about my family, the Maxfields but have no visual memories and I guess Birmingham no longer looks the same.temp_img_1692801744489.jpg

Old photos of specific roads are a bit hit and miss.

Thomas is listed as a Cycle Finisher for Hudson Cycles living at the Brookfield address in 1921. Here is a map, showing Clarmont Place, it is a little later (1950)...

0 - Brookfield Road.jpg

1919 eroll gives his army ref from WW1 - I copied the full entry so you can see the address fully.
1693063715945.png

1920 eroll at 8 Claremont Place
1693063536765.png
1922 at 6 Claremont Place (Porter family still at number 8).
1693063598482.png

Are you on Ancestry? His pension record is there with a medical report. I can copy it but it would be easier if you were able to download it.

He lost the tip of his lttle finger - shot off".

re post 5...noticed that thomas maxfield was a cyclist...just looked it up and it seems they played a very important roll during ww1 including taking messages back and forth so maybe he got his medal for doing this..3 links below...it seems many cyclists died..

The award was published in the London Gazette (but National Archives say citations rarely survive).
1693067020306.png
1693067064915.png
Can't see it in newapers but not all war yearsseem to be there.

re post 5...noticed that thomas maxfield was a cyclist...just looked it up and it seems they played a very important roll during ww1 including taking messages back and forth so maybe he got his medal for doing this..3 links below...it seems many cyclists died..
He actually joined the Royal Warwicks - frustratingly the pension record does not give a date for his transfer to the Lancs.

1693067267551.png

Last edited:

Wow - if I have the right person (based on you saying he lived in Claremont Place) he was awarded the Military Medal. Tricky to find out why.
View attachment 183642
View attachment 183643
That's him!
1919 eroll gives his army ref from WW1 - I copied the full entry so you can see the address fully.
View attachment 183641

1920 eroll at 8 Claremont Place
View attachment 183639
1922 at 6 Claremont Place (Porter family still at number 8).
View attachment 183640
Alice was a Maxfield married to Joseph and Kate was also Thomas's sister. How exactly did the back to back houses work?

Usually in a court behind other houses.
See this thread for some explanation

However, looking at the map from post #2 Claremont Place seems to be a line of houses at right angles to Brookfield Street. Different arrangement to back to backs.

i was born in a back to back house...in my case imagine 2 houses joined by one wall...the only windows were on the front of the house...or better still just stand back to back with someone that gives you an idea

lyn

Looking at the map they don't look like 'proper' back to back houses. Apart from the houses on the road something similar to these terraces on Marroway St maybe...

Looking at the map they don't look like 'proper' back to back houses. Apart from the houses on the road something similar to these terraces on Marroway St maybe...

quite right mark they are not proper back to backs as they have a path dividing one line of terraces houses from the other..proper back to backs such as the one i was born in were built far earlier than terraced houses and as most of us know the only surviving back to back houses in birmingham are in hurst st which we can visit as they are owned by the national trust

lyn

Last edited:
1911 census has at 117 Hingeston street
Joseph Porter age 30 Boatman
Alice age 28 nee Maxfield
Thomas H Maxfield ,single,age 26 Cycle maker
Kate Maxfield,single, age 21, Cycle worker
Elizabeth Maxfield, single age 19, Lacquerer

Kate Maxfield married Joseph Porter 26th dec 1903 at St Pauls.both gave address 89 Pope street.
her father Joseph Maxfield(dec) Cutler
witnesses Thomas H Maxfield and Annie green.

tony its a little tip we have and that is when you come back to a thread always make sure that you start reading from the last post you made..this ensures that you do not miss anything that has been posted..you would be surprised how much info members miss by not doing this....

lyn

Back