• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

Hello Folks- does anyone know

If there is a photograph of the hospital out there?

If the hopsital was established in the 1920's as a private facility does anyone know what it would have cost to give birth there?

Thanks

this is all that remains of the hospital..bit of a wall with what looks to maybe be a fire place.. had a reply from carl chinn and he also has no pics of it:( before i resort to the central library i will be going through all the books i have and if need be the shed load of old brum mags and evening mail pull outs..must be one out there somewhere:cry:

lyn

Last edited:
Heathfield Maternity Hospital had an annexe in Trinity Rd where mothers to be were nursed in early labour before being taken to the main hospital for delivery. My brother was actually born there so they didnt always get the timing right. Will check the house number on his birth certificate and see if it still exists and if so take some photos before that disapears forever. Re the hunt for photos I am sure the hospital was under the City Hospital group (Dudley Rd). Before Dudley Rd is demolished I will see if the hospital has an archivist, some pictures may exist in their records.

I too was born in Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital. I thought a photo of the place was on this website a while ago...

My parents lived in the warden-controlled apartments on the corner of Heathfield and Birchfield Roads, and one time when I visited I had a walk towards where the maternity home used to be. There was an open space like a playground, that was all.

Big Gee

The site is now a school and yes, a playground does take up the area where the building must have been. There are so many original buildings remaining in Heathfield rd, why couldn't they have left our hospital alone!

That's the only photo I've ever seen of Heathfield Maternity Hospital (the wall fragment). As you say, there must be one out there somewhere....but where?
If any one can find a photo it'll be our Lyn.

I have a photograph somewhere of the Stork Pub, just down from the Hospital, i wonder if it was named that because of its close proximity to the hospital. Max

My first child was born there in 1962 does my memory serve me right that the front was a big old house. I think after the birth I was in the front room looking out onto the garden and Heathfield road.

hi all ..im holding my breath here...does anyone know if the maternity hospital was ever known as heathfield house...and did it have lovely looking gardens at the front..

lyn

Thanks lyn but sadly it is Heathfield Hall which was in the land between north and south roads. Even authors get it wrong sometimes. I spoke to the education dept this morning who have promised to ask the builders (if they still exist) as to whether any predemolition scenes exist and also to City Hospital. they are going to check their archives. We are going to find a photograph of that hospital....

never mind john...we shall await the outcome of your efforts....also public works may have taken some in which case a trip to the archives is needed..i am quite sure a pic will exist..its just finding it..lol

lyn

Kellys 1940 shows the hospital at 134 Heathfield Rd and named as City of Birmingham Maternity Home (Miss Annie Milburn Matron) in 1956 it is listed as Heathfield Maternity Hospital. Max

I was born there in Oct.1943.My family were living in Kingstanding at the time,so it was quite a journey to get there,was it a fee paying establishment ? because my family were not well off,my father was away in Europe somewhere in the war.and my Mother did not work,we lived with my Gran.I recall my Mother saying once she made friends with the mother in the next bed to hers,but,I cannot recall the names.any answers out there.

Hi all, does anyone have any photos of the hospital? My wife was born there and we have tried lots of avenues of inquiry without any joy.

All my three children were born there but sorry no photo. There was another branch linked to it in the area, Trinity Road I think.

I was born in Heathfield Road Maternity Home (not hospital) in 1946. I don't actually remember the event myself.... The place was demolished sometime in the 1970's, I believe. The last time I drove along Heathfield Road the place where the Home used to be was some kind of recreation area, and on the wall of the building next to where it used to be was a mural of elephants in the jungle. I'm sure that there was a photo of the Home on this Forum at one time.

G

hi G..if you did recall your birth your memory is far better than mine is :D anyhow back to a photo of the maternity home/hospital...to my knowledge we have been searching for one for at least 7 years but that does not mean to say that at some point one could have been posted on the forum...dont forget we were hacked a few years back and lost all our images...think i will note it for the next time i visit the library as there must be one out there somewhere..

lyn

As far as I recall there never was a photo of Heathfield Maternity home on the site. As Lyn says no one has managed to come up with one which is odd as there must be some photos somewhere of a place where many Brummies came into the world. The only photo I have seen is the one of the remains of the wall. My Mother lost her first child at Heathfield Maternity Hospital so I have always had an interest.

Attachments

• Wall-Heathfield Road M.Hosp..jpg
    Wall-Heathfield Road M.Hosp..jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 32
Back