• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green Homes

A

angeleyes

does anyone no anythink about these homes by dad was very young when he was put into a childrens home and when he was old enough to work his father had him home again. very sad time for my dad. mary.x

Mary,
I did voluntary work at Chelmsley hospital in the 70s it was originally the Marston Green homes.
The homes opened in 1878 and were made up of 14 large houses,7 for girls and 7 for boys.It had its own farm,laundry,bakery etc.The older chidren were put to work in them.
The homes closed in 1934 and it then became the hospital for mentally handicapped youngsters.This was not always so however a great many of the youngsters had been placed in there by parents and the authorities for very different reasons.'Wicked girls' who were pregnant had their newborn babies taken away and were often left for years in the homes.
Disruptive children were placed their by their parents and forgotten.
Children with physical handicaps were placed there to save their parents embarressment.
When I was there it was at the time when the publics attitude to mental handicap was changing for the better and the residents were being encouraged to go out into society.
Their ages ranged from 16 to 80 and I loved every minute with them.
My eldest son went in as a volunteer and then went on to train as a nurse.
Most of the houses are now demolished and a new housing developement has taken the place of the hospital.These days ,thank goodness' there is no longer a need for such a large institution.

thank you

thank you alberta for that info god bless mary

My grandad Norman Holden was born in 1908 and at the age of 14 was put in an orphange with his yonger brother, in erdington, on orphange road formerly bell lane.

Tapholden, was the orphanage Sir Josiah Mason where your Grandfather and his brother placed?

Three old faded photos from Marston Green Orphanage about 1908
Dining Room, Tailor Shop and Swimming Club... I cannot quite work out what they are going to dive into
Looks like a net over the pool.......or just posing for the photo

Last edited by a moderator:
Cottage homes

can anyone help?. I have found what I think are some ancestors at Marston green cottage homes.
They are on the 1881 census as inmates they are Wiliam Tandy born Birmingham 1871 Albert Tandy b 1877 birmingham and Flora Tandy born 1870 Gloucester.
As they are in this home I cannot trace my ancestors further back as there parents are not there. Additionally I also cannot find the birth record for William Tandy so again cannot trace further back.
How would they have come to be in this home was it due to their parents death or to them just being poor. If this is the case where would I find their parents.
I would also be interested in any information on the time they spent at the homes.

Alberta, my cousin was placed in Chelmsley Hospital at the age of 11. Her parent my Aunt and Uncle were of different blood types and when she was born she had difficulties. Because not a lot was known in those days about this condition her blood was not changed till she was about 8 weeks old. Unfortunately this caused her to have Meningitis. This in its turn left her deaf, dumb and mentally handicapped.
My cousin was given Phenobarbitone every 4 hours and my Aunt and Uncle gave her the best life she could possibly have. For years they never had any holidays and lived almost seperate lives. My Aunt would stay all night with my cousin as she had to have these tablets during the night and then my Uncle would go to work and my Mom would go and take care of her during the day whilst my Aunt grabbed some sleep. This went on for several years then my Uncle contracted TB.
My cousin was taken into care for respite as such. During the next couple of years my cousin grew very big and strong and when it was time for her to come home she had gotten used to the hospital regime. She came home on several visits but caused havoc whilst she was there. The last time she came home she almost killed my Aunt & Uncle, they had to take a detour and my cousin didnt like it and grabbed my Uncle around the neck to try to make him go the right way. It was only his skill as a driver that saved them.When the hospital knew, her parents were advised that it would be better all round if she was kept in the hospital and her home visits were stopped on the grounds that she was a danger to all concerned.
I remember my Aunt saying that when they moved her into one of the bugalows she created merry hell, she ripped the curtains down off the walls amongst other things and the staff had to go and get her old curtains and put them back up before she would settle.
A very sad story but I just wanted y'all to know there were other reasons as to why folks were in there.
When my Mom died I fell out with my Aunt but as far as I'm aware my cousin is still there, she'll be 60 in January.

Hello Tandy, there is no reason not to be able to trace the Tandy children's parents, here they are on the 1871 census living in Birmingham. all of the children were born in Gloucester, Robert E is a groom. Emma, Flora'a mother was born in Somerford Wilts. Elizabeth Smith shown as domestic servant.

Name:Flora Eda TandyAge:1 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1870 Relation daughter Father's Name:Robert EMother's Name:EmmaGender:FemaleWhere born:Coates, Gloucestershire, EnglandCivil Parish:Aston Town Deritend County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England Street address: 65 Green Street

Occupation

Registration district:AstonSub-registration distric tDeritend Household Members:NameAge Elizth Smith 12 Edward Tandy 7 Emma Tandy 28 Emma E Tandy 4 Flora Eda Tandy 1 Robert E Tandy 36

Not sure if you have this but here's Edward in 1881 & 1891:

1881 Household:
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
William ALLSOPP Head M Male 53 Derby, England Gun Maker
Mary ALLSOPP Wife M Female 51 Birm, Warwick, England
Sarah A. ALLSOPP Daur U Female 25 Birm, Warwick, England Warehouse Woman
Hannah ALLSOPP Daur U Female 24 Birm, Warwick, England Nail Cutter
Charles ALLSOPP Son Male 16 Birm, Warwick, England Brass Founder
William ALLSOPP Son Male 15 Birm, Warwick, England Scholar
Edward TANDY Boarder Male 17 Stratford, Warwick, England Brass Founder
Source Information:
Dwelling New John St West Court 55 4 H
Census PlaceBirmingham, Warwick, England
Family History Library Film 1341716
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2995 / 91
Page Number 24

Address: 4 Bk 434 New John Street West

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
ALLSOP Mary Head W F 61 Warwickshire - Birmingham
ALLSOP Sarah A. H. Agnes Dau S F 35 Hinge Worker(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
ALLSOP William Son S M 23 Gas Stove Fitter(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
MURPHY Margaret Lodger S F 25 Press Worker(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
TANDY Edward Lodger S M 27 Bicycle Fitter(Em'ee) Gloucestershire - Gloucester

It also looks like Emma may have been a widow in 1881 although I'm not sure where the two 12yrs olds came from!
1881:
Household:
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
Emma TANDY Head W Female 37 Bham Button Coverer
Emma TANDY Daur Female 14 Bham Scholar
Henry TANDY Son Male 12 Bham Scholar
Geo. TANDY Son Male 12 Bham Scholar
Florence TANDY Daur Female 5 Bham Scholar
Samuel HALL Lodger U Male 27 Bham No Occupation
Thos. HALL Lodger U Male 22 Bham Saw Tooth Setter (Timber)
Ann HALL Lodger U Female 20 Bham Spoon Polisher
Lilly HALL Daur Female 1 m Bham
Source Information:
Dwelling 7 Court 2 House
Census PlaceBirmingham, Warwick, England
Family History Library Film 1341717
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 3002 / 69

POM :angel:

Thankyou

Thanks Di Poppitt I thought I had searched everywhere for this, in fact I did come across this but wasnt sure, so I think you have confirmed the parents. Thanks very much. Intersting to see other children on there also I wander what happened to them as they are not in the Homes.

Thanks also Pomgolian but im not sure this is the same edward as in the 1871 census (Robert E Tandy), but thanks for the information anyway.

So probably something happened to the parents between 1877 the last childs bith Albert Tandy and the 1881 census I would like to find out?. My direct ancestor William was born in 1871 so they must be in Birmingham fro 1871 onwards.

My thought was that if Robert had died between 1871 and 1881

Deaths Mar 1880 (>99%) Tandy Robert 44 Birmingham 6d140

Then Emma was a widow in 1881, so it seems that Edward and some of the other children may not have been living with her in 1881

Perhaps Di or someone might look this up for you...

I also found:

Births Dec 1869
Tandy Flora Hilda Cirencester 6a338
(Again Eda may be a transcription error as is common in many census')
The district Cirencester spans the boundaries of the counties of Wiltshire and Gloucestershire.

Good hunting, if it was me, I really would look further into both the 1881 records and the 1891 records of Edward.

Pom :angel:

The family Chris (Pom) found in 1881 is not the Tandy family I found. The husband was James, both Henry and George are shown aged 3 in 1871, Here they are. all born Birmingham

Name:James TandyAge:27 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1844 Relation:Head Spouse's Name:Emma Gender:Male Where born:Bham, Warwickshire, England Civil Parish:Aston Ecclesiastical parish:St Mary Town Duddeston Cum Nechells County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England Street address: 1 House Bk 105 Aston Road

Registration district:AstonSub-registration district Duddeston Members:Name Age Eliza Tandy 8 Emma Tandy 27 Geo Tandy 3 Henry Tandy 3 James Tandy 27

I went to school (Burlington Street) with a John Tandy, he lived in Sydenham Buildings, which was a cul-de-sac off Phillips Street, Aston. He would be about 70 years old now. He had a sister who I think was called Jean a couple of years older than him.

Thanks again

Thank you all I can go away and dig a little further now and get some certificates.:)
I have also found that there is some historical records of Marston green cottage homes at the Birmingham record centre. The ones I have found relate to punishment books but hopefully there is a little more information on the people there and perhaps their families.
Has anyone seen these ?

I wonder if anyone has any information regarding names of children in this home from around `1897, my grandmother may have been an orphan. Her name is Gertrude Florence Wright birth 1897.
Many thanks A:)

There is Gertrude Wright, adopted daughter, age 5 on the 1901 census, living with Thomas Orton and his wife Martha in Nuneaton. I can't see anything else that is likely.

There is Gertrude Wright, adopted daughter, age 5 on the 1901 census, living with Thomas Orton and his wife Martha in Nuneaton. I can't see anything else that is likely.
Many thanks, will look into that.A:)

Have just found this thread , my poor Mom and Dad were both in Marston Green , i understand that they were sent there from the workhouse .
They both stayed there untill they was old enough to leave , they both had unhappy memories of being there .
Does anyone know how i can view the archives relating to the time they were there ?

Hello, the records can be found at the Birmingham city archives part of Birmingham central library. I am going to look myself this weekend under 1880-1930 register of children and punishment book reference no MS431 NRA 30398 Marston Green Homes. Not sure which year you are looking to search but if it is less than 100 years old you need to prove who you are to view them. I am looking around 1880 -1891 for Tandy's and Brights so that isnt a problem both sides of my family had people who ended up in the homes. I will try to let you know what information is available.

Good luck

Many thank for that, I will be very interested to see what info is available.
Regards,

Thank you very much, i will go ASAP to view the information, i pretty sure my dad will be in the punishment book as he said that he ran away from there one time and lived for a couple of days in the woods.

For anyone hoping to check out school records you need written permission to view the registers, the application forms are available from the archives, they need to be completed and returned to (it was Harborne last time I had permission) then if they deem the application acceptable you will be granted written permission, you have to take this letter into the archives, they will confirm you have received permission and supply the school registers you have requested, last time I asked for the punishment books for a particular school permission was refused.(data protection act)

Dibs.

hi dibs..you beat me to it...i was just going to say that....i myself am waiting for a letter to arrive granting permission to view some school records....usually takes about a week to 10 days...it may be worth me pointing out that the last time i did this i was not allowed to take any pics of the records in the books but you are allowed to write down any info that you find...(in pencil) i think biros have been banned now....

lyn

Back