• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

marroway street

K

kathryn

Does anyone know the marroway street of the past ? any old street maps or layouts or just good mental knowledge of the area? i'm wondering about the whereabouts of myrtle cottages and hampden place.

my nan linda and great nan harriet lived at 4 the elms MARROWAY STREET from sometime around 1911/1917
(linda was born in 1911 bellefield ave, bellefield rd/they were listed at marroway st when her dad edwin fenn died 1917 ww1)
until 1934 when linda got married, harriet may have continued to live there.

in the 1891 / 1901 census my nans dad ,harriets 1st husband edwin fenn lived at 117 / 142 myrtle cottages MARROWAY STREET edwin fenn age 2 / age 12.
in the 1891 census my nans stepdad, harriets 2nd husband frank thornhill lived at hampden place MARROWAY STREET age 11

thanks
kath

Marroway Street is off Icknield Port Road,Ladywood,not far from Edgbaston Reservoir and a short walk from the Dudley Road,the Hospital and Winson Green Prison.
The canal and railway line are also nearby.I'm not sure how much that road has changed over the years,though.
I think the 66 bus runs up that way.

Was there not a Salvation Army hall in Marroway Street?

With regards to the salvation Army hall, there definetily was one there, my Grandfather attended and used to be caretaker for the building for most of his life, the building still stands today although now not used by the Salvation army

Hi Kathryn and brummie
Yes it was part of my stamping grounds and woods and yes there was a small hall of the sally army up there it was about there parts of the street
And to asked about the change of the street it most defined did not change from the early days up through generations it was a good comunity street
With terraced house and of little back houses with there terraces you walked up and houses facing each other
It was a very long street indeed with the little shops either side of the rd. It must have been about two miles long from one end to the other
And the sally army little hall was about three parts up on the left coming up from north rook street or if you like come up dudley rd until you come to barford red
Where there was a school on your left and continue along to the bottom of the TD you would walk into marrow away street and if you turned left into the martowstreet across the red about two hundred yards on the oppersite died you would see the sally army hall it was right between the houses it was only for the concrete moulding above the door whish says the salvation army other wise you would not notice it it was a very vibrant street day and night decent and respect full people
Believe me honest people lived up there which you could not say for most of the streets in the areabeleive me I know at first hand
Kathry , it so sad to see what the council have done to the street they have shorten end it and blocked the one end off and its a one way street coming out of barford red
I was up there not so long ago to see the old area I parked up and walked for hours around there and walked up barford street to she the old club up there it was many years ago it was a little social club for the residents of tested years and in the sixtys they called it a pub called it the gardeners arms and area years down the lane they renamed it the gardeners social club where I went to and applied for the management for the stewardship of the club
As I walked in I was recognised by dozens of people from yester years and guys and gals whom i grew up with on meeting the then management committee
they turned to me and said alan you have got the job ; as you are one of us in the sense of being a local and well known guy of the aea
i did agre to take it on , but giving second thoughts after going back to worc ; i turned to the wife and said i have got second thought because they would like to sit for the after hours drinking and i would not do that so the saving of the disapointment i rang and cancelled on the monday morning i was due to take over ;
my other offer was the ladywood social but like wise these guys frequent there so that i again decided to dismiss bt getting back on marow st brummie and katherin ;
what i can say alot of the olde generations of marroway street only moved arond the corner at the botom end into norbrook street and barford rd
and what i can say is there is qiute afew members on this forum whom i knew then and are members today of this great site whom i still am in toch with through emails
whom grew up in the stret and of barford rd today and still living there its a pity they have not seen your request and yes please take note of jennyanne request to go to old ladywood forumand there is loads of people from marrow way stret of yester years whom will give you stories and memorys o the street
you can get a book from ledsam street community centre based in ledsam street but also it listed the addresses of the place you can buy there calenders and yester years book from on there site i can assure you ;you will not be disapointed if any more you may want to know or unobtainable i can supply you with a book
look foreward to seeing you back on ur site best wishes astonian

Hi Jennyann
Thanks for the reminder of the Marroway Street photographs, there's lots more been added since my last visit to the site, and yes Astonian you are right there was always a great community spirit along the road during my time there (1960's) as i remember we used to live in our small terraced house along with my Grandparents, and remember as a child having no bathroom until later years and having to bathe in a tin bath in front of the coal fire, great memories

Hi brummy
Today I was in brum and my son went to dudley rd to look at a vehicle for sale for him self it was just up the hill from spring hill and I was totally disgusted
With the place the car compound was a load of. Complete rubbish along with the state of dudley rd the only spot I thought was the best
Was down by George street west it was clean also I thought was a good picture to admire was the church of st peters at spring hill
Because it looked stunning and the grass verge on the front was well maintained but then I noticed the sign it was a gospel meeting place
The car park was rammed and the street on parking was jammed it was spotless I think its west Indian gospel
Meeting place but the church and that particle area was stunning but the next part we drove down for me was memory lane it was of course
Was north brook street and around into marrow way street and the memories came flooding back to me and passing all the pubs around there
That I used to use which In all is truthfully every one of them and recalling all the family's I usedtoknow but sadly I have to say it was totally apaulin
To see how dirty and dingy the whole area as fallen down time its the lost part of the city have forgotten along with nechells which I found in a poor state
These areas was never like this in my time to me it appears all the city council are concerned with is to compete with other country's and city's centre
We will end up like the bronks of america and when the foreign counter parts come over to see us they will diverse around these areas
Just like the British tourist never gettosetheforign people abroad in there country of there standards
When these country's advertise there country to visit they only show us the best parts best wishes astonian

Back