• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Magician needed!

Shortie

master brummie
I have a photograph which was rather large initially and as it had been stored badly, it had cracked so was cut in two for the purposes of scanning it (it was not mine, I hasten to add).

Would someone with the expertise be able to reduce the size and join it together and remove the join please? As this is a big thing to ask anyone to do, I have not scanned the photo in, but if someone is prepared to take it on, I shall do so. I would be very grateful if it can be done.

Shortie

I can have a crack (sorry) at joining it back together for you if you scan it at a decent resolution. I am sure someone can do something with it.

Hi Bernie, thank you for the offer. I have it on disk, it was scanned in for me. It is of a funeral in 1924 outside Key Hill Cemetery. The family story attached to it is both sad and amusing, if anyone wants to know, just ask.

Shortie

Oh Humph, that's wonderful, thank you.

The story goes that the man in the hearse, a greengrocer by the name of William Haycock had committed suicide. He took himself to Earlswood and drowned himself. No-one is sure why, but he had served in the Great War, so he could have been traumatised. However, William's son, whom we shall call Bill, one day took his girlfriend, Annie, home to meet his mum. Annie was surprised to see that particular photograph on the family's sitting room wall and asked 'what are you doing with a photograph of my father on your wall?'. Bill replied 'that's a picture of my father's funeral' to which Annie replied - 'see that man there standing at the front of the car - 'that's my father, he is the grave digger'.

Bill and Annie did get married and it is their grandson's wife who sent me the photograph.

I thought that was quite amusing (even if no-one else does).

Shortie

It is, isn't it. Interestingly, the grave digger is not buried at Key Hill - the family think that it was because he could not dig his own grave!

shortie

The one standing by the bonnet with the cap on, so I understand.

The letter I received finished 'So you can see both my husband's grandfathers are in the picture, but the one is inside the hearse'.

Shortie

Oh Humph, that's wonderful, thank you.

The story goes that the man in the hearse, a greengrocer by the name of William Haycock had committed suicide. He took himself to Earlswood and drowned himself. No-one is sure why, but he had served in the Great War, so he could have been traumatised. However, William's son, whom we shall call Bill, one day took his girlfriend, Annie, home to meet his mum. Annie was surprised to see that particular photograph on the family's sitting room wall and asked 'what are you doing with a photograph of my father on your wall?'. Bill replied 'that's a picture of my father's funeral' to which Annie replied - 'see that man there standing at the front of the car - 'that's my father, he is the grave digger'.

Bill and Annie did get married and it is their grandson's wife who sent me the photograph.

I thought that was quite amusing (even if no-one else does).

Shortie

Just read this story of William Haycock. I believe he was my grandfather whom I never met. He was a frittered that's what is in his army book, from Icknield Square. It was always a secret in the family what happened to him and my father never ever mentioned him.

Hi Boogaloo,

Well I feel I have to apologise for you finding out what happened to your grandfather this way, but at the same time, at least you know a little about him. His occupation was Fruiterer - ie, he sold fruit but I understand he didn't have a shop, he was a hawker, so door to door. I believe Icknield Square is where he was living at the time. The lady who sent me the photo (over 10 years ago now) had only uncovered the story because she was researching and purchased the death certificate, and more than likely the Inquest Report. It appears he was born illegitimately too, in the Workhouse Infirmary, which I am told is where unmarried mothers often booked themselves into, as the care was better than they would have had if they had given birth at home. Of course, a good deal of unmarried mothers were made to leave home, so not a lot of choice then.

He was a fruit salesman not frittered.Spell checker gone mad.
Hi Boogaloo,

Well I feel I have to apologise for you finding out what happened to your grandfather this way, but at the same time, at least you know a little about him. His occupation was Fruiterer - ie, he sold fruit but I understand he didn't have a shop, he was a hawker, so door to door. I believe Icknield Square is where he was living at the time. The lady who sent me the photo (over 10 years ago now) had only uncovered the story because she was researching and purchased the death certificate, and more than likely the Inquest Report. It appears he was born illegitimately too, in the Workhouse Infirmary, which I am told is where unmarried mothers often booked themselves into, as the care was better than they would have had if they had given birth at home. Of course, a good deal of unmarried mothers were made to leave home, so not a lot of choice then.
Thank you for the information, It is a good story and you don't need to apologise. My father would never talk about his father only to say that he died when he was young, and it left his mother in rather dire straights. My father was named George and was born on Christmas Day 1919. He had an older brother called William who used to live on the "flats" near Icknield street. I can remember visiting him and he had two sons, one named Ronnie if I remember correctly.
Do you have any information on how I could contact her?
Cheers
Roy.

'The Flat' as you mention, was the bottom part of Lodge Road where it joins Icknield Street where the shops were - it was the only part of Lodge Road that was flat except for the top end in Winson Green (if I remember rightly). I worked for about six months on The Flat, it was a very good shopping centre in earlier years having every kind of shop you could imagine. I might have the contact details but can't be sure. I have to go out this morning but I will endeavour to look when I get back. I can't just pass on information but I will contact her first. I believe her name was Linda and possibly living in Wales, but brain's a bit foggy on that. I am sure she will be of great help to you, she was very interested in family history so she has probably got a lot that I don't know about. I will do what I can to assist.

Hi Roy

I do have an address, but looking at what I could find on the internet today, the house was sold in 2008 so I don't have any idea where they are living now. I don't think they are on Facebook either, I can't find anything, so presently I don't have any contact details. I will. however, ring the telephone number she gave me, and see if the new owners know where they have moved to. I do have three certificates to do with the birth and death of William, and I would be pleased to let you have them if you want. I think they may have been stored in the damp before I had them, as the paper is a bit crisp, but they are in good condition (copies only not originals). I can't see how to send a personal message on this new site, and I don't want to put my details on here. Perhaps someone will advise how I can give you details privately so you can have the certificates. Pauline

Pauline
Towards top right hand corner of page is Inbox (in small letters). Click on that. then click on "start a new conversation", and all you have to do is put in member's name, title and message

Mike, I've just tried and apparently I am not allowed to contact him via pm. I'm not giving my details on the forum, so can you tell me what's happening, why can't I message him?

He has to allow conversations. I had similar trouble contacting someone recently. Ask him to start a conversation with you and then you will be able to reply.

Thanks for your help. I looking forward to contacting Linda but how do I do that. Where do I allow conversations.

Thanks for your help. I looking forward to contacting Linda but how do I do that. Where do I allow conversations.

If you look a few postings back you will see mikejee's instructions to me. I can't see them myself as I'm on my phone and half in bed but it will give instructions on how to send ne a private message. I can then tell you what I've found.

Found out how to allow conversations, it's under contact details. Will now try to find out how to PM you. As you probably guessed I am not used to these forums.

Found out how to allow conversations, it's under contact details. Will now try to find out how to PM you. As you probably guessed I am not used to these forums.
Roy, I have also had to ask for help - this Forum has changed since I last used it. Top right hand corner you will see a tab saying 'inbox' - click on that and start a conversation. I have sent you a message.

Back