• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
Hi Folks.

I'm going to take you a ride on a No5 tram down Lozells Rd, are you seating easy, then we will begin.

Ah Ray "The Bell " inn, surely one of the best pints of bitter for miles,really nice pub in the good old days, 70s for me anyway Tom

Great photos of Lozells Rd. I can remember a shop on the right hand side going from Six Ways. Used to buy Christmas presents from there. It was almost like a small department store. I'm racking my brain trying to remember it's name, or is my memory playing tricks?

Was it Blacks dept store? Or it might have been the house that jack built but they were both six ways

Was it Blacks dept store?
The name doesn't ring a 'bell' but you are probably right. When I started buying small Xmas presents as a child, that's where I used to go. I'd stopped believing in 'Santa' by then !
icon7.gif

I remember the 'House that Jack Built, but I think it was in Newtown Row. I also seem to remember an interesting shop in Potters Hill. Big tech problem this end - all my nice 'smilies' to the right of the 'reply' box have gone !!

morning ray..once again some great pics...id almost forgotton about the bell inn pub...heres me trying to stay in the future and you keep sending me back to the past....lol.......brillient....

thanks ray....

lyn...

Wendy do you know I have only just realised that. [Smilies]. Has anyone the rout the no 5 tram took please request of my husband as he said the no 5A and 7 bus used to pass his house in Witton road?. Thanks.

now i am trying to remember what the ansells pub was oppostite the bell inn ray...can just see it in your first pic...

lyn

Old mowhawk,Taylors was in Potters Hill, a general haberdashery or emporium.
Thanks Ray, those names are coming back to me. I'm getting a free 'memory update' this morning. I went offline for a bit because my 'puter battery run out - and my nice smilie's have 'walked off' again even though I'm using Windows at present.
oldmohawk

Sorry Jean, I' am far too young to remember Trams, Ken will know, wont he?

Tom I was only a baby then too but Pete is older than myself and remembers when they took the trams off and nicking the track for firewood but he would only have been a kid then. I will go down the library and see if I can find some more info on the old tram routes. Jean.

Jean,
Pete must have taken the wooden setts to burn,oh happy days.my dad took them before the trams stopped running,in the 1930s,anything to keep warm,he would use the babby's pram to collect them.

When I was but a sprog in the early 1950's, my mother had a mental list of places she would shop at. I can remember her going all the way to The House That Jack Built to buy a broom and me carrying it all the way home to The Broadway on the No 5 bus. She could've got a broom down Witton Road but, no, it had to be THTJB. She would only buy curtain material and other fabric at Taylor's, nowhere else. The best (worst?) was the long trek to Thompson's Pork Butchers on Lichfield Road, because she'd buy chops and bacon nowhere else. She must have spent a small fortune on bus-fare, but there you go. Moms, eh?

Big Gee

Ray - thank you so much for posting these pictures of Lozells Road. It is the Lozells that I remember as a child. The first picture shows Vera's hairdressers where I sometimes was taken to have my hair done, also I think you can just see Foster Bros. further up on the corner. The 2nd picture seems to be taken from where the Sky Blue (indian restaurant) and Yah What (chinese takeway) were situated. Photo 3 I can see Robinsons Drapery where mom used to buy curtains and ribbons (for my hair) from and lastly photo 4 where you can just see the pet shop where I had my lovely dog Rusty from and I am sure you can just see of glimpse of Woolworths further on up (just out of picture) where I bought my first record from (Mr. Blue Sky - ELO) lol.

Lots of memories - thanks again.

Jean let me put you out of your misery.

No5 Tram run fromSalford Bridge along Lichfield Rd, turn right up Victoria Rd. to Six Ways Aston, Lozells Rd. Villa Rd., to Junction of Soho Rd. and return.

The No5 tram depot was Wittonand used toclear the junction at Park Rd. and reverse into Park Rd. and continue to Witton Depot.

The Route was take over by the the no 40 Bus.

I appreciate your to young to remember the trams the finish 4th July 1953 the No2 being the last tram Steelehouse Lane to Erdington/ Wylde Green term.

That's you history lesson for today night & bless Ray

Tom I was only a baby then too but Pete is older than myself and remembers when they took the trams off and nicking the track for firewood but he would only have been a kid then. I will go down the library and see if I can find some more info on the old tram routes. Jean.

He's quite right the 5 & 5a used to start in town make it's way to Alma St, cross Six Ways Aston and go down Witton Rd to Witton Island then Ridgeway, College RD TO Perry Common Term.at Court Lane.

The no7 Start and Portland Rd.before coming into Bham and following the No5 route.

Ray

Wendy do you know I have only just realised that. [Smilies]. Has anyone the rout the no 5 tram took please request of my husband as he said the no 5A and 7 bus used to pass his house in Witton road?. Thanks.

A pair of No.5 trams passing in Lozells Road at the Six Ways end with Christ Church just visible in the background.

Thanks Mike next time we drive past there I will use my imagination. Lovely photo. Is that the church that was partly destryoyed by arsonists or was that on six ways Aston?. Jean.

Jean, glad you liked the pic. Not up on that area so don't know about the church. Perhaps Ray or someone familiar with the area could throw some light on that one for you. Forumers, an answer for Jean if pos please.
Mike

Thanks Mike. Pete said he thinks it was the church at the top of six ways Aston that was burned down. It is or was on the corner of Victoria road and Witton road. Thanks for your reply Mike. [On my best behaviour today]. Jean.

Hi,
Does anyone remember Wassels the fruit shop, my mom worked there in the 50s and as a child I remember the rabbits hanging up outside the shop. Does anyone have a photo of Wassels.
Regards, Pauline

Thanks Mike love the pictures, BCT trams are of great interset to myself my grandad George Cross, And Uncle George Cross spent almost there whole live on BCT trams Miller St and Witton Depots.

Thanks Ray

A pair of No.5 trams passing in Lozells Road at the Six Ways end with Christ Church just visible in the background.

Ray, without wanting to go off thread, we are trying to gain some info on the old Tramways Department Band over in the Trams threads. Did your relatives ever mention the band or were they ever connected with it?

Meanwhile back on the No.5 tram, and this one is passing Abbotts of Lozells on the corner of Wilton Street.

Mike

Back