• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loxton Street School

Hi Alexander. Im sure you will find someone here that went to Locco between those years. There are a few members that did. Unfortunately, I went between '54-'64, so would be no help to you. But dont give up, it will come good in the end. Best of luck, Barry.

Hi Alexander I was at Loxton St from 1943 but left in August 1945. I remember Mr Hartshorne.I had 3 strikes of the cane on my hand for being late 3 times. Boy did it count!! My memory is a little vague because my previous schooling took place while I was evacuated in Burbage, what a difference. Burbage school was modern compared to the Victorian Loxton St. I remember the dentist coming and removing teeth on the premises. Also I can remember a schoolmaster who taught us English and history He had dark rimmed glasses and was quiet stern. Must have been in his fifties,but can't recall his name. Also recall the 'nit' nurse.
Leg128

We called him old jack the ice cream was fab,he live by vauxhall dairy and pushed that truck all the way up to loxton street,he was obviously italian and i can see him now with his cap.

I was at loxton street from 1957 till it closed,remember the infants and juniors very well.Mr sims was head of junior and infants and Mr Parker head of seniors.I remember Miss Ford with long blonde hair,Mr Hall,Mr Cummings and the fearful Miss Jones.I remember the hut in the playground and the kitchens. Mr sims retired and Mrs Newis took over i remember the smell of loxton street to this day,i was a biscuit monitor and these were the days when a jammie dodger was the size of a saucer and the coconut mallow were a meal with your 1/3 pint milk ration.I later went to the senior school where i met Mr Martin and Mr Pullen what a great bloke Mr Pullen was he treated you as an adult. Great reat
emories

Hi Graham,i remember you well my name is peter johnson,i remember tommy hopes,john fulwell,alan grainger,colin sprason,pat green,yvonne faulkner,anne bown. i actually bumped into colin sprason in the london area (small world),i did hear that alan grainger had passed away in 2009

I have a similar photo of my mothers school and looking at the children's style of dress and hair cut it was from roughly the same era.She lived in Bloomsbury Street and attended Loxton Street School.

Hello Graham, A very long time since we last saw each other, I'm in the photo, have just been made aware of this site. Some of the names you missed, Lenny Heath, Dennis Hodgkinson, Brian Insley, Elaine Preece or Proctor, Sidney Manton, Robert Symes, and too make it more confusing their were 2 John Smith's, back row and front row. Not 100% sure this is the right way round, back row J.K.Smith, front row J.E.Smith.
At least i've read it.
4th left back row.
Should have included your list, the photo is the one with Mr.Cummings in it.

Sorry it's been such a long time between posts - just don't seem to have got round to visiting the site for a while, and I've no idea where the time goes these days! I don't have the photo in front of me, but I guess from the initials you're probably David Randall? You're quite right about those names - I'd forgotten some of them. I'd remembered Elaine, but couldn't drag up her surname Preece, and I remembered the face but couldn't put a name to Robert Symes. Blimey - over 55 years ago.........

Graham

My dad went to Loxton St School, he left in 1951.

I have his leaving certificate on the back of which are signatures of school mates I presume.

Some of them are

G L Drayton
J S Philpot
H W Spencer
K W E Howells
J L Harrison
A W Sinton
J S F Bond
E Foden

There are others I can't make out and the head teacher was Mr Jones

Does anyone remember the Spider Man inccident back in 1937 at Loxton School. If not I will tell the story!!!

Have a nice day, Wally.

My name is Kevin I have just found this site by accident and looking through it I was very surprised to see some names from my past graham I still remember the day we won the shield i caught 2 and stumped 2 it was a very close game though.
I think in the same year the seniors football team won the HMS Birmingham Sheild.

hi every one i am a new member to this site my name is stan jenkinson and i started at loxton street school inseptember 1942 i actually lived in loxton street number 5 right opposite the school gatesi was one of seven brothers and yes we all went to loxton street school at one time or another a few of the teachers names i remeber are mr martin woodwork mr walker general lessons and music if i remember rightly he used to play the violin or was that mr martin? mr bond mr maltby who lost an arm during the warand of course the headmaster mr hartshawn and ibeleave there was a mr philpot and a few of my old school chums ronnie minchell albert fisher terry or tony jinks george moon albert smith i also remember when the football team won the villa shield beating tinkers farm 1~0 ithink it was 1947 or 48 and the two brothers who played in the team i think their name was beddows hope someone remembers me or any of the things iv mentioned

Hi stokes, and welcome to the site. I don't know you as i went to Locco between 1954-64, but i do recall Mr. Martin. I hope someone else on here remembers you, and you can have a good old catch up. Hope you enjoy the rest of the site. You will interact with a heck of a lot of very friendly people here. So enjoy. All the best, Barry.

Hello Ken
My name is Bill Vale and I well remember Jimmy Jenkinson who lived in Loxton Street, I have picture taken in the classroom circa 1930 I will look it out and post it.
Miss Silk was the Head also Miss Smith, Miss Simlett and Mr Blundell to name a few of the teaching staff in the Junior School. I moved next door to the
senior school and was in Mr Groves class. Mr Lickard was the Head Master. My best mate their was Dennis Norwood he later was the Head Boy. I left Locco
to go to Suffolk Street in 1935

hello bill nnewbie brummie
stan jenkinson here thanks for your reply to my message i have been rather ill so i could not reply before now i am glad you remember my oldest brother jimmy sadlly he passed away some time ago if you do have a photo from circa 1930 i would really love to see it i am based in north wales one last thing bill when i started school in 42 miss silk was still th headmistriss thanks for responding to my post

I notice that not many of the photos of Loxton Street have been reposted, so here are a few which very well might be the same as the ones that are missing. Though I went to St Vincents myself I had many friends that were at Loxton St during it's last term and who spent their final year at school at the new Duddeston Manor School.

Attachments

• Nechells Loxton St  School 1935.jpg
    Nechells Loxton St School 1935.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Nechells Loxton St School .jpg
    Nechells Loxton St School .jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Loxton St 1964.jpg
    Loxton St 1964.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Nechells Loxton Street[2] .jpg
    Nechells Loxton Street[2] .jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 69
#108 bickerman Hi my first post ,hi I new Vince & most of the names mentioned from Locko my name is Len Whittington (whitty) i was best mates with Moss Duffield he mentioned that he had seen you in cornwall while on holiday , we often walked along vauxhall rd with Alan Kavanagh ,you took me to join the army cadet force up Alum Rock I also took your uniform back when you left , sadly Moss passed away in late 2003 age 60 a few extra names that I recall Geof Baker ,Keith Callow, Alan Weaver ,Keith hedgecocks, Roy Grant ,and a lad i think his surname was cunningham he had a few fits in the classroom

Welcome to the forum Leo. Hopefully some of the contributors to this thread will see your post. It's nice to see former pupils posting on here.

Hi Vivienne 14 , thanks for the welcome I've realised I didn't say that i was there at Locco seniors from 1954 to July 58 having attended Windsor st J & i

Hi ,anyone remember being taken to the Gaiety cinema from Locco @ two different times to see The Robe I think Charlton Heston had the starring role, the other film was the nostalgic Dam Busters starring Richard Todd ,I don't know if these special afternoon matinees where for all schools in the area or just Locco

For general info, came across this National Archives record of Loxton Street School - refers to it as being in Bloomsbury, think there was an area of Nechells called Bloomsbury at one time. The NA record is only available through them and covers school log books from the 1880s until 1960s. Here's the description should anyone want to pursue the records or just wants general info. Viv.

image.jpeg

..... and the NA link https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/5eeb2397-cc30-43e6-94e0-82a6e9922672

Last edited:
Back