• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loveday Street Hospital

Shaun

I wonder if "SANDS" may be able to offer information or insight into what may have happened with regards your sisters burial.

Sands Helpline​

t: 0808 164 3332
e: [email protected]

William.
William

Thank you.

Sadly because I am a sibling none of the charities like Sands will help directly. I have contacted Sands and they have given guidance but no direct help. Charities will only deal with the parents. Both of my parents have long passed on.

Shaun-C

William

Thank you.

Sadly because I am a sibling none of the charities like Sands will help directly. I have contacted Sands and they have given guidance but no direct help. Charities will only deal with the parents. Both of my parents have long passed on.

Shaun-C

I am sure you find (as I do) that that is utterly ridiculous - as you are next of kin - now that both of your parents have sadly passed on, which I presume you told them.

William.

William

Had a nice exchange with Sands and other charities who are involved in supporting the mother and father of a stillborn child. The responses from them were kind and understanding. They all have a policy they will only directly help the parents. I find that hurtful in many ways. Jacqueline was a part of my parents life but also mine as well. We would have shared the same DNA. I think the charities take the view when a sibling comes calling it is part of a genealogy crusade. I do feel Birmingham City Council takes the same view. My quest to find Jacqueline has nothing to do with genealogy.

Shaun-C

Good morning. Spring is near and the daffodils are out.

Update.

No response from the Church. Freedom of information request to Birmingham City Council - will have a reply near the 15th February. This journey is so frustrating. All the paths one treads lead nowhere. I will try another avenue with regard the church.

Shaun-C

Have Birmingham City Council's response to my Freedom of Information request. If you are interested please click the link below. My reply can also be viewed. I am staggered to read it.

I am of the opinion

Babies who are stillborn (born dead) after 24 weeks of pregnancy (until 1992, after 28 weeks), or die during infancy, must be buried or cremated. Cemeteries and crematoria are required to keep records of all such burials and cremations. Key words, required to keep.

I have lost trust in officialdom and their lack of help and support in finding g my sister.

Shaun-C

Birmingham City Council have clarified their position which I am grateful for. There are shared graves which will be no surprise for those trying to establish the last resting place of a family member. Importantly a stillborn child who is sharing a grave does have their grave recorded. This was common until at least the late 1960's / early 1970's. Waiting on further information. I find it sad that a sibling trying to trace a family member is on his or her own.

Shaun-C

Final update

Birmingham City Council have conducted another search for me. The search shows no record of my sister. Wish to thank the City Council for their time and their patience with regard to my requests over many months. The journey has been one of frustration, trying to understand how a child can simply disappear without trace. Sadly I am left with no option than to bring the search for my sister to an end. I am going round in circles. May I send my best wishes to others on a similar journey to mine and that they achieve what I cannot; the resting place of their lost brother, sister, son or daughter.

Jacqueline, wherever you are, rest in peace; you are not forgotten, I have made sure of that. Not able to place flowers on your grave, however, I look forward to the day when I can give them to you.

Thank you to those who have sent kind words.

END

Shaun-C

Last edited:
Final update

Birmingham City Council have conducted another search for me. The search shows no record of my sister. Wish to thank the City Council for their time and their patience with regard to my requests over many months. The journey has been one of frustration, trying to understand how a child can simply disappear without trace. Sadly I am left with no option than to bring the search for my sister to an end. I am going round in circles. May I send my best wishes to others on a similar journey to mine and that they achieve what I cannot, the resting place of their lost brother, sister, son or daughter.

Jacqueline, wherever you are, rest in peace; you are not forgotten, I have made sure of that.

Thank you to those who have sent kind words.

END

Shaun-C
I am so sorry that Jacqueline cannot be traced. You have tried really hard and explored every avenue, She would have been proud to have a brother like you.
Carolann

Good afternoon, hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather.

Yes it is me again.

Been reviewing my work relating to Jacqueline, my lost sister. I know she must be near the former Loveday Hospital. I may have overlooked something which may be contributing to why I can't find her. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong place? This afternoon when viewing some paperwork relating to Jacqueline, a line of text seem to suddenly make its presence known. It was weird, to be honest. I have been blinkered in my search looking within the C of E faith up to now. Why, I have no idea.

With the paperwork I was reviewing is a line with the following wording, 'C.R Priest'. My father was a Catholic and my understanding of C.R Priest is - Congregation of the Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ - Catholic faith. Loveday Hospital would have taken into account the faith of the parents of a stillborn child.

The all-important question. I think Jacqueline was buried within the Catholic faith. I know she is not at rest in the nearby Council cemeteries; the Council have no records of her. Does anyone have any information on Catholic Church yards near the former Loveday Hospital where stillborn children were buried in 1947.

Thank you

Kind regards

Shaun-C

Hello Shaun, I'm so sorry you are still unable to find Jacqueline. I haven't got a sub for Findmypast but they seem to have some Catholic burials.
The Stillborn in our family was finally found at Witton after they said there was no trace, the record came online and she was finally found except that there's no-one there to tell you an exact spot. The family had also been told at the time that she was at a different cemetery!
Please don't give up trying.
rosie.

Hello Shaun, I'm so sorry you are still unable to find Jacqueline. I haven't got a sub for Findmypast but they seem to have some Catholic burials.
The Stillborn in our family was finally found at Witton after they said there was no trace, the record came online and she was finally found except that there's no-one there to tell you an exact spot. The family had also been told at the time that she was at a different cemetery!
Please don't give up trying.
rosie.

Dear Rosie

Thank you. Pleased you found the child in your family. Closure is so important. I cannot accept that Jacqueline simply disappeared without trace. She is at rest somewhere near the former Loveday Hospital. I am reviewing my work and in doing so have identified new lines of enquiry. Have contacted the local Catholic Church. Sadly I never got a reply from the Church of England church I contacted. Very sad.

So the record just popped up? I have to say, I do not believe the City Council’s online database is without error. I take a look at Findmy past, thank you for that.

Good wishes

Shaun-C

hello shaun have you tried contacting st josephs RC church nechells.. ?.its not that far from loveday st hospital...like you i have had no luck in finding your sister..i have even been putting in either infant/female cunningham but no luck

lyn

Last edited:
hello shaun have you tried contacting st josephs RC church nechells.. ?.its not that far from loveday st hospital...like you i have had no luck in finding your sister..i have even been putting in either infant/female cunningham but no luck

lyn
Lyn

Thank you. I contact the church later this morning. Have a good day.

Shaun-C

Back