• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

London North Western Railway Company Roll of Honour Book

David7

proper brummie kid
My Gt Uncle Fred worked as a cleaner at LNWR Monument Road, Birmingham, enlisted with Royal Berkshire Regiment and went MIA at Memetz Wood, Somme on what my father said was his 21st birthday. LNWR provided a commemorative book to the families of their employees that died in WWI. There are 46.5 pages and 80 names per page (approx 3700), plus additional people that won medals including three VC awards to JA Christie, E Sykes and W Wood. If you have a family member who worked with LNWR and was either KIA or MIA, their name will be listed in the book. I attach a scan of page 1 of the book.

I still have the original copy of a letter that Fred wrote to his parents dated 16/10/15, which must have been before letters were censored. A couple of quotes:

"our fellows going over at 2.5 pm as cool as if they were going upstairs to bed."

"they say in the papers W.P. (Weekly Post?), that they must stop recruiting from the Railways and mines as there will be terrible shortages in a few months time, as they cannot get sufficient men as it is."

David

Attachments

• LNWR Roll of Honour WWI 3700.jpg
    LNWR Roll of Honour WWI 3700.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
These are the only LNWR books listed by the IWM War Memorial Register.

If yoiu have a volume then is not there then I suggest you speak to one of the local archives and see if can copy the pages and perhaps make available to the WMR if not already there.

Are you suggesting that I send the book to IWM? That's not a bad idea because no one else in my family seem interested in it and I wouldn't want it to be tossed into a skip or recycled when I go. I will contact IWM to see if they have a copy ... many thanks

Edited to say I have just followed the link you provided and they already have a copy located at Tebay, seen here:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/68174

David

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking of actually sending to the WMR but if they have a copy on the WMR then it is OK.

If you want to get the physical copy to somewhere for safekeeping then consider the National Railway Museum or your local archive. Most local archive will take records, documents etc for safekeeping (and if family papers, they can embargo for a number of years). I have given a few things to our local archive here.

Back