• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Hill Cemetery,Detective Supt. Gerald Van Helden buried 1901

TimothyWF

proper brummie kid
15th May or June 1901
I am writing the biography of an ancestor of mine, whose boss and a family friend was Gerald Van Helden.
He was a Detective Superintendent of the Birmingham City Police, and died very suddenly whilst in office in May or June 1901. I have a newspaper report which says he was buried at Lodge Hill Cemetery. I have no idea if his grave survives but if it does I would like to see it. Could anyone tell me please if any of the gravestones have been transcribed? I see from previous postings (especially from Wendy) the need for a map if searching for a grave. The postings are a few years old now, did anyone get a map from that which was offered and is there one available today?

As far as I'm aware the gravestones at Lodge Hill have not been transcribed.
I have always found Lodge Hill staff very helpful, so if this is urgent, you could try emailing them at lodge_hillcem&[email protected]

However, if someone is going to the library, they may be able to look on the microfilm to find the date and burial ref; it doesn't give the grave section/number, which you will have to get from Lodge Hill, but at least if you have the burial reference they it reduces the research time for Lodge Hill staff. I would offer to do the lookup, but I can't get to the library until next week.
If you can wait until next Tuesday or Wednesday, I will do the lookup for you, go to Lodge Hill (I need to go to tidy a grave anyway) and see if I can locate the grave and take a photo.

I am attaching a general map of Lodge Hill that I obtained a few years ago - it looks a bit weird, but when you know which section a burial has taken place in, they give you a more detailed map of the section.

As far as I'm aware the gravestones at Lodge Hill have not been transcribed.
I have always found Lodge Hill staff very helpful, so if this is urgent, you could try emailing them at lodge_hillcem&[email protected]

However, if someone is going to the library, they may be able to look on the microfilm to find the date and burial ref; it doesn't give the grave section/number, which you will have to get from Lodge Hill, but at least if you have the burial reference they it reduces the research time for Lodge Hill staff. I would offer to do the lookup, but I can't get to the library until next week.
If you can wait until next Tuesday or Wednesday, I will do the lookup for you, go to Lodge Hill (I need to go to tidy a grave anyway) and see if I can locate the grave and take a photo.

I am attaching a general map of Lodge Hill that I obtained a few years ago - it looks a bit weird, but when you know which section a burial has taken place in, they give you a more detailed map of the section.
In the 1950s I carved in crematorium a lot of inscrpitions in the wood panels. The crem will not take any photos due to privarcy? would any list member be willing to do this for me. John Crump OldBit in Parker.Co USA

They would be any decesed during 1949-1951 when i went in the RAF Thanks very much John Crump

Hello Leslam- I would like to take you up on your very kind offer to look for the grave and send me a photo.That is superb and very good of you and very much appreciated.
There is no rush for this, I have been writing for two years now and a wait is no problem !!

Back