• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little known facts of the second world war.

T

Thoth

In the first British air attack on Germany over a mainland population center, 36 RAF planes bombed the rail-yards of Monchen Gladbach on May 10, 1940. The raid killed one person ... an Englishwoman.

The first bomb of the war to land on German soil was dropped on December 3, 1939. A Wellington bomber of 115 Squadron, attacking German shipping in the North Sea, suffered a 'hang up' when one of its bombs failed to drop. It fell off on the return trip over the island of Heligoland.

The bombing of German cities had a curious effect on how people dressed. Afraid that their best clothes could be lost or burned, German women preferred to wear them on all occasions. In the air-raid shelters particularly, it seemed that every women owned a fur coat!

During the war, a total of 2,250,000 Anderson air raid shelters were erected in Britain. Named after its designer, Dr David A. Anderson, they cost seven pounds for those earning over 250 Pounds Sterling per year, free for those earning less. The Ministry of Home Security ordered that these shelters must be up by June 11, 1940, and that they be covered by earth to a depth of 15 inches on top and 30 inches on sides and back. In the spring of 1941, the Morison shelter was introduced, a low steel cage for use indoors. Cost was the same as for the Anderson shelter. When the sides were folded down the steel top could be used as a table. A total of 38 million gas-masks were also distributed. Stacked in warehouses were millions of cardboard coffins in expectations of many dead from air raids.

THE RAFs FIRST KILL. On October 16, 1939, German JU 88s from the island of Sylt, attacked naval ships in the harbour at Rosyth, Scotland. About to enter dry dock for repairs was the battle cruiser HMS Hood, but the pilots had strict orders not to attack. A personal order from Hitler stated "Should the Hood already be in dock, no attack is to be made, I won't have a single civilian killed". After the raid, in which the 9,100 ton cruiser HMS Southampton was damaged, Spitfires from RAF Turnhouse near Edinburgh, attacked the departing JUs and one was shot down, hitting the sea off Port Seton. This was the first enemy plane to be brought down by RAF Fighter Command.

Welcome Thoth, hope you enjoy I'm sure you will on the beat Forum anywhere.

At top of the Home page there is a search box put WW2 etc and I'm sure you will find something to your taste, it covers many subjects.:)

Where you living at the moment

That’s horrific… thank you for sharing such meaningful war story, I’m very thankful that this generation was very lucky, and learned from the past.

In the first British air attack on Germany over a mainland population center, 36 RAF planes bombed the rail-yards of Monchen Gladbach on May 10, 1940. The raid killed one person ... an Englishwoman.....

I've seen this stated before and have often wondered how well documented the incident was. It seems a remarkable coincidence that the sole victim was English and indeed a very convenient one for Goebbels's Propaganda Ministry.

Chris

The British Empire existed mostly in name only after the first world war but it was still a living thing in the Brits psyche. Bolstered by cricket matches maybe. A bit silly though that Hitler possibly thought that it would all be handed over nicely if he played nice.

Back