• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little Hope.

Sorry Notsharp, I can't help with the identification but it's a smashing photo.

My first thought on seeing the date was 'I wonder how many of them came back from WW2?" They all look so happy - hope someone can help.

Yes, it is a nice photograph, LadyP. I live in hope that I may be able to hand it over to a relative of one of the group.

Steve.

Sorry Notsharp, I can't help with the identification but it's a smashing photo.

My first thought on seeing the date was 'I wonder how many of them came back from WW2?" They all look so happy - hope someone can help.
Yes, I think the top row were candidates for WW2! It looks like it was written using one of those school pans with the nibs (sp) I hated and could never get to work correctly.

Nice as sepia photos are from a nostalgic point of view, I think there's a bit more detail obvious in a b/w version.

Not that it helps us much with identification. The only hope is perhaps a Lichfield local history group who might know a bit more of what the camp might have been, what sort of lads attended it and where they came from.

Chris

UNKNOWN-GROUP-1.jpg

Nice as sepia photos are from a nostalgic point of view, I think there's a bit more detail obvious in a b/w version.

Not that it helps us much with identification. The only hope is perhaps a Lichfield local history group who might know a bit more of what the camp might have been, what sort of lads attended it and where they came from.

Chris

View attachment 177423
Thanks Chris

I have asked a coouple of the Lichfield History groups if they know.

Easter weekend in 1936 was Good Friday 10 April until Easter Monday 13 April. And it was cold. Viv.

Easter weekend in 1936 was Good Friday 10 April until Easter Monday 13 April. And it was cold. Viv.

Those boys do not look cold, but they would be hardy, anyway.

It looks like, possibly, seven of them are wearing the same style shorts. Some kind of uniform. Rugby, maybe? In fact, the lad on the far right looks like he could be holding a rugby ball.

Steve.

Ok, one of the Lichfield History Groups has said that there was a Land Amy site with a hut in Lynn Lane between Stonnall and Shenstone.

I did once stay at a scout camp in Edinburgh that had a dozen or so huts like those around the perimeter of the field. They were used for the scouts to camp in, possibly in inclement weather. The huts certainly save us from getting all our camping gear set up.

Back