• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ladywood celebrations and outings

Stokkie

master brummie
I think this would have been taken at Edgbaston Reservoir, Osler Street or Clark Street. My family had connections with Clark Street Adult School. I don't know if the was ever a youth club in the area? Mom went to school in Clark Street and Osler Street. There are a few photos of fancy dress and more of coach outing in the 1920s - 1930s. Mum wearing poppies as 'Remembrance' looks young here. She was born in 1908.

IMG_1732.jpeg

Nice day for a trip out? Charabancs were popular in the 1920s and early 30s. They were early open topped motor coaches with bench seating facing forwards. Clent or Symonds Yat, Kinver and Bewdley were popular destinations for Brummies. I have a few photographs. The seaside was probably too far for a day trip in an open bus?
charabanc1.jpg

smashing photos stokkie...thanks for posting them

lyn
Thanks Lyn! I'm surprised at how well they reproduce as the original prints are very dark. It is good that the ancestors were able to relax and enjoy themselves sometimes, living in what we would think of as grim conditions.

totally agree stokkie....lovely to see them smile in what was certainly hard times

lyn

With my hair style, hats are never out of fashion! So, what did they do when they got there? This one's a nature ramble or field club, a very popular activity. Perhaps looking for Rainybats (beetles) or botanising? More hats too!Nature.jpeg

Back