• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Norton

img629.jpgThe Navigation Inn Wharf Road Kings Norton 1880.
Mary Rogers was the Landlady.

z1.jpeg
Some of the regular clientele outside the Plumbers Arms, Kings Norton. 1912.

Hello Stitcher,
Just been browsing through Kings Norton Photos And found your Poster for Kings Norton Hospital Carnival.
There was a carnival held every year at Cotteridge Park But I can't think of a hospital in Kings Norton other than Monyhull Hospital who held their own Carnival each year,
There was also the Kings Norton Mop fair which was always held the first Monday in October.
As a side issue Monyhull was originally named Monyhull Colony but was changed because it gave people the wrong impression of the patients. Betty Hopper

The Plumbers Arms, first pic, was by the mid 1980s when I lived on the Green reduced to a single storey building and was a chip shop, later a Chinese take away. Gone and replaced by new build now.
The Saracen's Head is still there, no longer a pub but a local community centre now.
The Bulls Head in the photo was replaced by a new one (1930s??) on the same site, almost next door (on the right) to the Saracens.
The cottages were next door (on the left) to the Bull's head - one of them belonged to the Cox family.

The replacement cottages, the 'new' Bulls Head and the Saracens Head (the white building on the right in the distance) can be seen in this view.
The building which replaced the Plumbers Arms is here, and the cottages next door to it can be seen to be still there.
Hi there, I am really intrested in Kings Norton history as i have lived there/here all my life, its a pity the links to the earlier photos from this thread are missing. My main focal point is the bomb craters around the Factory centre (lifford lane)area and wwII war effort building modifications.
Does anyone have a photo of the 'Bomb shelter' or structure that was in the middle of Kings Norton's green, as a child i remember been told to stay away from them!. I would love to find information on them. Im forty now so it would be late 70's.

cheers

Thanks all for those rapid replies

Mike..................I must admit I'm very new to compters and can't yet "down load" anything. but the map seems very interesting .

Lloyd..................The name I have is KIND S.C., a relation I believe lived in one of the Farm cottages with his wife and three children c1915--1918

Mikejee...............Thanks for the map. I assume Broad Meadow is the complex of buildings in the centre of the map. My relations lived in one of the Farm cottages. I have a photograph of the family taken in a field nearby with a large house in the background....but it could be almost any field!!!
Thanks all for those rapid replies

Mike..................I must admit I'm very new to compters and can't yet "down load" anything. but the map seems very interesting .

These maps showing Broad Meadow Estate c.1904 - I am pretty sure that my great grandfather Mortimer West worked on this estate when he lived in King's Heath and that my grandmother Elizabeth walked there with him in the mornings and went on to King's Norton school. I'd be really interested to see any photos of the place. I have Mortimer West's gardening diary from about 6 months of 1897 when he was woking there, with a few local names in it! Please contact if interested.

Welcome Harry. I think this is quite possibly the estate you refer to; a co-partnership, garden city type development. Viv.

image.jpeg

A bookplate (sorry no date) and a 1920s sketch by Margaret Aulton of the Saracen's Head (Tudor Merchants House) on Kings Norton Green. Another great building - the Tudor frame can still be seen inside the building today, although there have been many changes to the building over time.

This and the Old Grammar School, won the 2004 BBC Restoration series. The Old Grammar School, Saint Nicolas Church and the Tudor Merchant's House (formerly the Saracen's Head) have been given the collective name of Saint Nicolas Place.
Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The Old Grammar School. Firstly, an extract from Hutchinson's Britain Beautiful, the second 1931 image from the Birmingham Library archives. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Viv, I've only just seen your reply. I notice that the February 1907 newspaper cutting refers to a Major Baldwin - Baldwin was a well known name in the area, my grandfather was one - John Thomas Baldwin! Also the diary that I have from my great-grandfather (Mortimer West) has an entry on 7th February 1889 "made a cross for Mr Baldwin's funeral".The diary runs from 14th January 1889 until 21st August 1889. It contains lots of entries about what he did with the plants under his care, and mentions the names of about 60 people that he had contact with. I'd love to get hold of any pictures of the farm itself - I guess there must have been some taken when the land was developed into the housing estate.

View attachment 76226The Navigation Inn Wharf Road Kings Norton 1880.
Mary Rogers was the Landlady.
Hi there, I'm a genealogist of 45yrs & at the moment looking at a cousin of my 2x great/grandmother, Louisa Ryall. In her husbands Will dated 1889 it say's he was the Licensed Victualler of the 'Navigation' Inn, in the village of King's Norton. This would be between the dates of the 2 photo's. I would be pleased if I could have a copy, or maybe where I can purchase one of both of them.

Unless there is a source named, or they are personal ones containing family members, most of the photos on the forum do not belong to the members concerned. Stitcher is no longer a member of the forum, so we cannot ask where he obtaine dthem, though the photos would seem to be of an age that I would have thought any copyright to them would have expired. Sorry I cannot be of more help

Pershore Road South. Where Station Officer Gammon lost his life when he fell from a Fire Engine negotiating the Island Screenshot_20191101-201423_Facebook.jpg

Thank you Mikejee, I found out I could download them so able to print. Aggie2347 It was the pub I was interested in but thank you all the same.

Below is a photo of Hubert Summer's bakery on The Green , kings Norton. It is labelled c1910, but must have been a little earlier, as the firm disappeared between the 1905 and 1908 directories

Summers bakery . green kings norton c1910.jpg

Back