• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kesseler family, Joe & Winnie

MikeEK

Sorry I'm (very) late to this thread but does anyone know of the Kesseler family (Joe and Winnie) who lived at 76 Coventry St from around 1910 to the mid 1930's and whose children attended St Gabriel's church?

Personal memories (possibly a bit too long ago) or general information ?

Winnie and 3 children are living on Curzon St in 1911 with her mother. She is listed as a Sauce Filler at a Vinegar Brewery, could possibly be Holbrook's which was close (my great aunt was working there in 1911). Here is a picture of it...

Nechells Ashted Row - Dartmouth St Holbrooks .jpg

Personal memories (possibly a bit too long ago) or general information ?

Winnie and 3 children are living on Curzon St in 1911 with her mother. She is listed as a Sauce Filler at a Vinegar Brewery, could possibly be Holbrook's which was close (my great aunt was working there in 1911). Here is a picture of it...

View attachment 171535
Thanks MWS. The record is of my family - Winnie was my grandmother and my dad Syd was one one of the 3 children. The factory photo is great and I guess Winnie may have well have known your great aunt. I'm keen to get any detail (specific and generic) of my family at both Curzon St and Coventry St (no. 76) where they were by the 1921 census, especially photos. The 1911 census address of 49 Curzon St was a tobacconists shop as well as the family home run by Ruth Macdonald my great grandmother.

There are some photos of Coventry St here, there a bit further up the road though...

And some more modern pictures of the Old Wharf Inn which would have been a couple of doors away from no.76...

Back