• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

JOSEPH CARDO..COVENTRY ROAD

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this request if from member marchesgirl

Does anyone have any information about a property called 'Kensington Villa' on Coventry Road? I am researching a man named Joseph Cardo who lived there in 1871 with his wife, son and a servant. In 1881, the family lived at 232, Green Lane Aston, then moved to Langley Road, Bordesley before moving back to 507, Coventry Road. I wondered whether 507, Coventry Road might have been the same property as 'Kensington Villa'. Joseph worked as a clerk for a Land Agent.

Death, Cardo at Kensington Villa, Coventry Road, Small Heath, on 23rd aged 15 weeks Harry Swain beloved Son of Joseph and Emily Cardo. July 1870.

Last edited:
Thank you Pedrocut. Harry was Joseph and Emily's second child. He was baptised at St. Edmund's Church, Dudley (where both his parents grew up) in June 1870 - Joseph gave their address as Regent Place, Belgrave Road, Edgbaston in the baptismal register so they must have moved to Coventry Road between June and July 1870.

At the start of the entry on the 1871 Census it states “West side of Coventry Road from Jenkins St. to Hay Mills Brook. As Cardo is the first entry that may give an indication of the position of Kensington Villa ?

Last edited:
In the 1903 Kelly's Joseph is listed at 507 Coventry Road and in the listing it comes between Golden Hillock Road and Wordsworth Road but closer to Golden Hillock he census entries for 1901 list him at 507 and the description is GCoventry Toad from Langley Road.
1658331558497.png
I am not convinced the 2 properties are the same.

In 1872 Kelly's Joseph is listed at 180 Coventry Road - is this Kensington Villa?
1658332270565.png

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. So 1950 map backs up the position of 507.
Just realised that 1871 census has Kensington, The elms and then The Hollies which is marked on the 1889 map so Kensington must be the houe on the corner of Whitmore Road.
So they are different properties.

Apologies to MWS as I assumed the maps were from Mike - memo to self: check who has posted :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Comparing it to the map I'd say that no. 180 is the building just visible on the left. Grange is just in shot on the right and the tower is the Methodist Church (?).

In the 1903 Kelly's Joseph is listed at 507 Coventry Road and in the listing it comes between Golden Hillock Road and Wordsworth Road but closer to Golden Hillock he census entries for 1901 list him at 507 and the description is GCoventry Toad from Langley Road.
View attachment 171844
I am not convinced the 2 properties are the same.

In 1872 Kelly's Joseph is listed at 180 Coventry Road - is this Kensington Villa?
View attachment 171845
Ah, well, we know where The Hollies is (1889 map). It's still there. This row of houses is now shops.

Attachments

• Hollies.png
    Hollies.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
I see Joseph Cardo moved to Solihull by 1911.

Yes, he and his daughters lived at Malvern Villas, New Road. His daughters were actually on holiday in Torquay at the time of the census. He died in 1914 but I have yet to find where he is buried.

Solihull burials aren't online. Most records are in Warwick Archives. New Road is within site of St Alphege Church - not sure about burials there.
Do you know where his wife was buried?

Solihull burials aren't online. Most records are in Warwick Archives. New Road is within site of St Alphege Church - not sure about burials there.
Do you know where his wife was buried?
Emily, his wife, was buried at Yardley Cemetery as was his eldest son, George William Gordon Cardo, who died of consumption in 1899 and his youngest daughter, Evelyn Hilda Swain Cardo, who died in Buckinghamshire in 1973. His younger son, Harry Swain Cardo, was buried in the family vault at Oldswinford, Worcestershire.

Back