• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Street Dale End

Thought the Chapel was familiar, I think it's Cherry Street. It was demolished when Corporation Street was cut through. There must have been a reference to it in the Houghton and Hammond book about old and new Birmingham. (The Corporation Street development, along with slum clearance, were seen as key improvements at the time).

Last edited:
My Great (x3) grandfather, John McLoughlin, lived in John Street in 1841 (Court 6, House 4). Close by lived my Great (x3) great-uncle (?), Roger Moraghan (writted as Morgan on the census) who lived at Court 6, House 5. My great (x2) grandfather, James Moraghan from County Roscommon, appears to have left Roscommon at the height of the famine in the early 1840's to live with Roger and his family in John Street. James married John McLoughlin's daugher, Ann, in 1850 at St. Chads Cathedral and on the 1851 census they are shown as living at Court 6, House 4 John Street (Morgan, rather than Moraghan, on the census). On the 3rd April 1854 James and Ann had their first child, Henry, who was born at Court 6 John Street. John McLoughlin died in 1849 and my Great (x3) grandmother, Mary McLoughlin, was shown as living at House 2, Court 10, John Street. On the 1861 census Mary is shown as now living at House 5, Court 11 John Street and on the 23rd January 1867 Mary died in Court 5, John Street of chronic bronchitis.

Sadly, Roger Moraghan (aka Morgan) and his family moved from John Street to Court 1, Steelhouse Lane where he died in 1871. The reason I use the word 'sadly' is that Court 1, Steelhouse lane was even worse than John Street and it also appears in the same book by Robert K Dent (mentioned at the beginning of this thread).

Court 1, Steelhouse Lane

View attachment 134754

There's a very good 1750 map of Birmingham by Samuel Bradford which shows John Street following on from Newton Street ... http://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.com/2012/06/1750-map-of-birmingham.html

1750 Map of Birmingham
our member janice had ancestors living in your 3x gt grandfathers house court 6 house 4 in 1871 ..court 6 house 8 in 1861 and court 6 house 8 in 1851 head of house and his wife both born ireland and i would think that they also came over to england during the potato famine .would love to see anymore photos or drawings ...thanks folks

lyn

Last edited:
here is a photograph of lichfield st and john st the first one i have seen...seems to be a street name on the right but i cant quite make it out...note a couple of ghostly figures..courtesy of carl chinn

lyn

lichfield st and john street.jpg

Last edited:
Back