• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

JFK Kennedy Memorial Mosaic

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Interesting item from Friday's B'ham Mail:

No Comeback for JFK mural - The John F Kennedy mural will never be in one piece again. Instead, the face of JFK and other characters from the giant mural are to be placed underneath public benches at Connaught Square in Digbeth's proposed Irish Quarter. The benches will have glass tops and be illuminated at night so that visitors will be able to see the faces in detail.
The story of how the Irish Community raised money for it will also be told in the public square.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, Does anyone know where the John f Kennedy memorial that used to be at st chads circus subway has gone?. When I visited Brum a few years ago i saw it had gone and the subway filled in. Jackie simms

Hi Jackie

Most of it has been destroyed, parts have been salvaged (JFK's) image and some other parts. I believe these are in storage at the BMAG stores. They are apparently having difficulty in finding a new site.

I read this some time ago, so thing might have changed by now. Heres a little reminder of how it was

Phil

Attachments

• City St Chads Queensway JFK Memorial Mozaic St Chads Circus.jpg
    City St Chads Queensway JFK Memorial Mozaic St Chads Circus.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 23
The storage in Dolman Street are open to visitors this weekend (see bottom of main page). Maybe someone going could ask.:)

the only parts not under the new road system are being kept by Oliver Budd the son of the original artist pending a decision about their future

kenh

Were they ever at Dolman Street? or did I just imagine that. I'd rather it be in his safekeeping. Unlike he City of Birmingham who were going to save it all.

Phil

Thanks everyone for finding out for me about the jfk memorial. That's a real shame if they can't find anywhere to put it, I don't think it deserves to be just forgotten about.

Thanks everyone for finding out for me about the jfk memorial. That's a real shame if they can't find anywhere to put it, I don't think it deserves to be just forgotten about.

Neither do I !!! I think it was shameful that this piece of artwork ( and that's exactly what it was ! ) was summarily removed and most of it destroyed. Birmingham seems to excell at destroying things which people love. Going slightly off topic here I must say that I don't have much time for HRH Charlie boy but he's right on the button in regard to his condemnation of modern architecture - the glass and concrete monstrosities which now make up most of our city centre just leave me cold ! The council seems to have limitless funds for all kinds of daft ventures so surely they could have found an appropriate site for the JFK mosaic to be transferred to ??? They did the same thing with the lovely mosaics portraying the Great Western Railway.
What a throwaway age we live in !!!
I find the city centre totally without character these days, my daughter says I'm turning into another Victor Meldrew
personally, I don't believe it ! sorry ! couldn't resist that one !

So hope the application goes through. Used to love to see this on my way to work. Very uplifting. Viv

The JFK memorial will soon be installed in Digbeth at the corner of Floodgate Street and High Street Deritend. This is what the preparations look like so far ...

The installation got delayed by a month.

Here's the site before the above was installed ...

It might include an image of the Irish former Lord Mayor of Birmingham Mike Nangle.

There was some hiccups on Flickr last night. Think it's ok now.

Will take more pics when it's completed.

Today's updates - note it might be unveiled on Sunday 20th Jan 2013.

Mike Nangle controversial addition

I have fond memories of the JFK memorial this man adverted ww3 ie the Cuba crisis the powers to be have defaced it.

So very glad it's beeen restored. This is a vivid memory from my youth, passing it every day. It was an uplifting feature as I passed through Snow Hill. Still looks modern after 50 years and still has a relevant message. Well done Brum. Viv.

I think they remade it from scratch. Assuming that the original one was destoyed a decade ago during demolition of St Chads Circus.

Oh no! I thought the original went into storage. Such a waste if it it wasn't salvaged. There's no excuse either; if a 2000 year old Roman mosaic can be restored this one should have been a breeze to reconstruct. Viv.

I think they remade it from scratch. Assuming that the original one was destoyed a decade ago during demolition of St Chads Circus.

Yes Ell, most of the original memorial was destroyed but some of the faces were salvaged. The rest was newly constructed. How refreshing to hear that the Snow Hill developers contributed to its re-instatement. Link below may take a little while to load. Viv.

https://birminghamcentral.blogspot....=Feed:+BirminghamCentral+(Birmingham+Central)

That's Feltip / Simon Felton's Birmingham blog Viv.

It looks good every day my bus passes it through Digbeth going home!

Back