• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jewellers arms meet up 2016 on the day

Not sure whether to be disgusted Mike especially as I'd have had a fair few glasses of the stuff by the 70s. But then again I also drank plenty of rough cider too, so I'd probably built up a rock solid immune system. Viv.

Last edited:
Viv
Up to about 1970 most Birmingham pubs (and probably elsewhere as well) had a device called an economizer. This was a tube that went from all the overflow (slops) trays in the bars down to the cellar. This wen into the mild barrell. It had to be the mild as soemtimes it could turn the beer cloudy, but noone could see thta in the mild because of the colour. The device was made illegal in the 70s for health reasons (sometimes barmen would pour the dregs of pints into in there as well).

I knew there was a reason why I was never a beer drinker!

Thanks Mike. Surprised the Economiser is still used in places (or was according to the 2010 article). And more surprisingly that Environmental Health said they were legal at that time. Shall certainly be asking the landlord of my local whether he uses an economiser. They don't sound too bad I suppose except that people expect their beer to be fresh and not done the rounds before it reaches the glass. Viv.

Last edited:
Another references says that the few places that still use them are in Yorkshire. So you should be allright in London. All you gave to worry about there are excessive profits by the bars

A bit late I know but thank you Lyn for organising the meet-up. Another good time spent chatting to everyone. I think you must've put a spell on me as I won two prizes at the Jeweller's and then THREE more on the evening at a Sports Relief do. Well, what about that!

Roll on the next one.

hi folks sorry for delay in posting the few pics i took...our internet has been down since sat night...will get them on asap

lyn x

hi ya vic sorry i forgot to say that the ones i took are not very good..this is what happens when you rush around lol...i did take another look at them and there are about 6 thats passable so i will post those...not my best though..give me a few mins as im in the middle of doing something

lyn

I forgot to take my camera again

vic i think in future it maybe a good idea to remind folk to bring their cameras or phones as the photos of meets seem to be getting less and less...just sorting them out now..wait for them lol

these are the best of what i took folks..there is one that i found funny but i will let our members decide on WHAT IS JIM DOING ?????

Attachments

• P1080588.jpg
    P1080588.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 58
  • P1080589.jpg
    P1080589.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 55
  • P1080590.jpg
    P1080590.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P1080591.jpg
    P1080591.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
4 more

Attachments

• P1080592.jpg
    P1080592.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 51
  • P1080594.jpg
    P1080594.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P1080595.jpg
    P1080595.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1080596.jpg
    P1080596.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 55
this is the last one and it really does not do them justice...the wonderful flower arrangement that was delivered to the pub for me off the forum...not very often i am stuck for words but i was then lol...

Attachments

• P1080603.jpg
    P1080603.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 31
Think yerself lucky Froth, I only managed to get an arm in! Although my BHF badge gets some quality exposure. Viv.

Last edited:
'Parker' seems to have got himself on lots of the photos! Typical. Nice one of the back of my head and I must've moved on the other as I seem to have more double chins than usual. I too failed to take my camera but will make sure I do so next time. It's nice to look back on the pictures.

Hi Lady P, I sat next to you and not a double chin in sight. Was lovely talking to you. Viv.

Last edited:
Rethymno Maurice, we fly out on 30th April, for 10 days, first time I've been abroad for 8 years, looking forward to it!

Back